Poor sound on external Amp speakers after latest update (13.1.4)

• 16 July 2021
  • 3 replies

After the latest update (13.1.4), I’ve noticed the speakers connected to my Amp have lower volume and lack the soundstage they used to have (very narrow and completely lacking detail and range). Also, the surrounds volume is now louder.

Before anyone asks, I have not changed any settings or my configuration lately and I have tried “power cycling” the Amp to no avail.

Has anyone else experienced this?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hi @nathanp, welcome to the Sonos Community!

Are you experiencing this with TV or Music audio? And does it affect all audio sources, for example different apps on the TV and different music services?

It may be that you’re getting a lower quality signal from the TV/Service which is causing this - if you’re noticing this with TV audio, then you can check the signal that the Amp is receiving in the Sonos app Settings > System > About My System - there should be an “Audio In" listed under the Amp.

Let us know what you find :)

It’s definitely on music. I have tested Apple Music through the Sonos app, as well as Airplay. Will test TV source more closely and get back to you.

Ok, tested TV sources. Seems to be a problem across the board for Dolby Digital 2.0/5.1 from HDMI as well. 

Actually, with more testing I think it only affects music sources. It actually sounds like music sources are being normalised or some kind of dynamic range compression (I’ve only been testing Apple Music via Sonos and Airplay).

The same music played on Apple TV in Stereo has way more dynamic range and a wider soundscape vs Sonos app / Airplay.