Answered

Plug Ethernet into Play 1 for 5.1 System ?

• 5 October 2017
  • 6 replies

I know that a 5.1 theater system needs to have a device plugged into your router. My router is located next to one of my Play 1s. Can I plug a Play 1 into the router with an Ethernet for a 5.1 surround sound system INSTEAD of plugging the Ethernet into the playbar.
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 5 October 2017, 01:17

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

I don't think there's a requirement to have an ethernet cable plugged in, although I happen to use a Bridge in my system, which is plugged in via ethernet. But in my bedroom, there's no device that has a cable connected to it. Needed to set up originally (I think), but once it was set up, no cables involved, other than the optical one to the TV, and the power, of course.

I think the only time there has to be a cable between the Playbar and something is for those using a CONNECT:AMP to power non-Sonos rear speakers.
Thanks. Is your system a 5.1 surround sound theater system? The only reason I ask is because a lot of what I see online is that you don't need an Ethernet connection for normal players, but if you have a 5.1 set up with a playbar, two play 1s, and sub you do.
Two of my systems are a full Sonos 5.1 systems. Playbar in both cases, with a SUB and a pair of PLAY:1s.
Neither of which have any connected ethernet cables of any kind. As I said before, though, I do have a BOOST. 🙂
As @Airgetlam suggests there is no requirement to have a wired component of any sort to run 5.1, except when using a Connect:Amp for rear speakers
Awesome, thank you both for your feed back.