Please add support for DTS for the Sonos Playbar.

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1190 replies

I can't use playbar in my home theater without DTS support, and I don't see the point of playbar outside of a home theater, so yeah, not buying a playbar until it supports DTS.
I agree with the DTS and have added my vote here. However I sold my Yamaha YSP-2200 for the Playbar with Sub and Play 3 surrounds and difference is like night and day for me. The Sub goes a lot deeper than the Yamaha did, vocals are clearer and you can't beat true surround from Speakers behind which I have been missing the last 2 years with the Yamaha. It's all swings and roundabouts. Loving the Playbar but just pray they add DTS with enough of our votes.
A playbar for Blu-Rays that is missing DTS support? Fail! I'm not gonna recommend the playbar as long as this feature is missing!
Love your idea of an in app purchase to buy the DTS license. I would certainly pay to have a DTS update to my Playbar right now.
OMG I really need to know if it's possible to be added by firmware upgrade. Just put my old system on ebay and ordered a load of sonos stuff without knowing about the DTS issue. The whole point of going sonos everywhere was to solve my sound woes no go back in time to most of my movie collection not working.
Yep, please add DTS support. As soon as that's implemented I-m pushing the buy button. Not having DTS support is unfortunately a deal-breaker. How can you opt for a Playbar when it won't serve as a full service player of movie audio. Well, you cannot.
I had a dream i purchased a playbar.... then I woke up and remembered that it doesnt have DTS support.
I love the Play3s, and when I heard about the Playbar and found it in stock locally, I went to buy one and a Sub. It was only when I got to the store that I found out about the lack of DTS support. So, no purchase and a wasted trip. Seems like a serious omission to me only catering for online movies. People do still buy Blu-rays and DVDs, I have hundreds ripped with the DTS audio only, why would I want to reduce the quality of my film experience? LesK
John, Please provide us with an update as to the status of this feature (DTS) that was omitted from what is otherwise a great product. The feel in this thread is that you could secure several purchases with an annoucement of support for DTS. Me included. Thanks
From the live chat they had in February, one of the Sonos people that worked on the playbar said "it can be added via software update" so hopefully the bandwidth isnt an issue
Userlevel 1
Meh. I'm realizing how uncommon AV receivers that have optical out are. And as has been mentioned previously TV's, other then a very small handful, do not have the capability to output DTS. I think Sonos really bit themselves in the butt by not including at least 1 HDMI port on this thing. I have 30 days to really determine if I want to keep the Playbar.
I just returned my playbar because of the inferior sound from my Blu Rays. I have two play:3's and a sub and would love to have a true 5.1 system. Please Sonos...
Anybody know if this device will take the HDMI out from a Blu-Ray player and put out Dolby 5.1 through optical cable to the Sonos Playbar? http://amzn.com/B002BBAA4C I've ready the product description but can't figure it out.
Userlevel 1
From the consensus of posts I have read, the topic should be renamed to: "Please add a HDMI port and support for DTS on the Sonos Playbar." Cue Playbar:2
Sonos Playbar seems promising. But I´ll only buy it if it gets DTS. Otherwise I will have to look for something else. I´m suprised that it doesn´t support DTS already. I hope there will be a change very soon!
I just bought the playbar and realized it doesn't support DTS. This is so disappointing!! Please add support for DTS on the playbar in the next update.
I also have the playbar along with the sub and various other components in other rooms. The lack of DTS is indeed highly frustrating and should be pushed as an update asap to prevent people buying other solutions. Otherwise I'm very happy with it and would recommend it to others.
From the consensus of posts I have read, the topic should be renamed to: "Please add a HDMI port and support for DTS on the Sonos Playbar." Cue Playbar:2
i'll take DTS as a start.... not to mention implementation would be far easier than to 'add a HDMI port'
I also have the playbar along with the sub and various other components in other rooms. The lack of DTS is indeed highly frustrating and should be pushed as an update asap to prevent people buying other solutions. Otherwise I'm very happy with it and would recommend it to others.
Same here. I love it but frustrated I can only watch my DTS Blu-rays in down mixed 2 channel stereo. Lets all push for that update.
finally some one who thinks adding HDMI is a good idea... give the flexibility to the user optical or hdmi in (at least 3 console, dvr, dvd/bd).....
Sounds to me like the Sonos dealer is trying to fob you off about the bandwidth as the only wireless part of the DTS soundtrack would be the Sub and Rears. The Playbar DTS track would be hardwired from the optical source.
As much as I want DTS for my Playbar. I have a feeling that the mixed 2 channel stereo DTS track on the Playbar would still sound better than the quality of the 5.1 DTS track the Technika can manage 🙂
So disappointed and frustrated - just received my Playbar and it's stunning except for one point; let's hope it's just a matter of time before SONOS do the right thing and implement dts. Otherwise I'll....
I want DTS! Just realized that it seems that a lot of Blue Rays have DTS instead of dolby 5.1, whereas the DVD has dolby (e.g.: the Movie "walk the line", German sound). So should I really by the "older" DVD to have the good sound, although the Blue Ray contains much more material? By the way: My TV does not put out dolby 5.1, but 2.0. So I connected my PS3 directly with the playbar and it works. But the difference to the DTS issue is that it is fixable by the customer...
It's of course, for speaker in this price segment, not really an advantage to not support DTS. But is the hardware compliant with the DTS standard, or is it only a software integration?