Please add support for DTS for the Sonos Playbar.

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1190 replies

Please add DTS gk 06apr13
Userlevel 1
This is exactly the issue. Tonight we plan to watch a film recently released on Blu-ray. But we can only watch it with stereo sound, because as with most Blu-rays it has DTS soundtrack only. If we watch the film with DTS output from Blu-ray player we get silence. Its a little frustrating to say the least.
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
I admire those who have taken the option to return the product during the approval period. If you don't buy, and post here to explain why, this may encourage Sonos to implement DTS. I you do buy and you return it, explaining why, this makes a true statement. But if you buy the product, aren't happy with the lack of DTS support but then keep it - you're effectively a satisfied customer. There are ideas on this site, with more votes than DTS, that are now over 7 months old. Which are Sonos likely going to implement first? If you think they will add DTS support soon, you may be in for a long wait.
Will buy playbar and sub if DTS support confirmed for firmware upgrade. Otherwise it's the B&W Panorama 2!
Please add DTS support.
I have a very satisfactory solution. I have playbar the SUB and 2 play 3. I bought a Samsung blu ray player that can stream audio bitstream re-encode in Dolby. Playbar recognizes the signal and indicates dolby digital 5.1. Rendering a DTS HD track is very good. As good in any case by choosing an audio track in another language in Dolby. Tested with the film The Town
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
I have a very satisfactory solution. I have playbar the SUB and 2 play 3. I bought a Samsung blu ray player that can stream audio bitstream re-encode in Dolby. Playbar recognizes the signal and indicates dolby digital 5.1. Rendering a DTS HD track is very good. As good in any case by choosing an audio track in another language in Dolby. Tested with the film The Town
Sorry, you are incorrect. Some blu-ray discs provide a "secondary audio" capability. This outputs an alternative audio track that is provided on the disc. For Dolby True HD discs, the secondary audio is in Dolby Digital - for those with older amplifiers without HDMI connection. For DTS-MA discs, the secondary audio will be either in Dolby Digital or in DTS. On The Town, the secondary audio track will likely be Dolby digital. The player can then output this and it will work with PLAYBAR. However, with discs like Superman blu-ray, Secondary Audio is in DTS. The player will not "convert" the audio, and PLAYBAR will emit silence. Your player is not helping here, only your choice of movie.
I tested with and without the function of re-encoding in Dolby. Whitout I have no sound and with this function I have the sound in Dolby in the playbar and dts track is selected on the player.
which samsung player have you bought?
BD-F5100 Look the manual : http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/201303/20130305105046122/IB_BD-F5100_XU-0304_BM.pdf
As Ben indicated, this is not a solution.
Userlevel 1
Having to buy another piece of equipment to make up for no DTS support on a $700 soundbar is not a solution. It is an inconvienient workaround at best and it should not be necessary when working with a high quality product.
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
User457346 (with the Samsung Player), Sorry, I must say again, this is not a solution. 1) From page 6 of the user manual: Audio output from a DTS DVD is DTS, not Dolby Digital. Therefore PLAYBAR will produced "unsupported" silence when playing a DTS DVD. 2) From page 11 on the user manual: "If the HDMI device (AV receiver, TV) is not compatible with compressed formats (Dolby Digital, DTS), the audio signal outputs as PCM." Therefore PLAYBAR will receive a 2-channel stereo signal, not 5.1. 3) From page 11 on the user manual: "If your TV is not compatible with compressed multi-channel formats (Dolby Digital, DTS), the player may output PCM 2ch downmixed audio even though you selected Bitstream (either Reencoded or Unprocessed) in the setup menu" Therefore PLAYBAR may receive a 2-channel stereo signal, not 5.1. 4 )From page 19 of the user manual: Specifications - Digital Audio Output - Coaxial. PLAYBAR requires an optical input. 5) This only helps blu-ray sources, it won't help those with ripped blu-ray files or DVDs that have been encoded in DTS format.
1) you must look at the table on page 10 5) I agree. but even with a blu ray only with DTS tracks it works perfectly with a 5.1 sound.
+1 on DTS support 🙂
Badge
I was doing some pre-purchase homework when I suddenly found out that the Playbar does not support DTS. It is that a piece of audio equipment at this price doesn't support a widely-used format like DTS. I'm putting my purchase on hold until Sonos corrects this glaring error. My plans were for two Playbar units, two subs, and two sets of Play 3s. Sonos, your customers don't even have to be snobby audiophiles to see that the lack of DTS support is an omission which makes the Playbar suddenly become a second-tier choice. The economics of this are obvious to us... please change this as soon as possible. Thanks!
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
1) I did look at the table on page 10, that's why I am saying you are wrong. Look at the section labelled "Audio Stream on DVD" and follow the DTS row. Output is DTS. 5) My point is that this is a blu-ray player, it won't play the files stored on people HDD and NAS devices that people wish to play - and it certainly won't play them in Dolby Digital. You seem to be trying to fix a problem that you don't understand. On top of that, you are proposing solutions that don't work and don't even have the right connector on. To top it all, the Amazon reviews for that model of blu-ray player are terrible. Apparently it hangs all the time during playback and needs to be rebooted. Out of interest, which Make/Model of TV do you have?
must follow the line dts "audio stream on Blu Ray" (not dvd) until the last column (bitstream dolby re-encode) I just watched a movie that offers only the DTS and the surround is very good. No problem with my player which is connected to a videoprojector (epson tw3200) 5) I'm ok with you for this point. My solution work only with a blu ray
Userlevel 1
Alright. Picking up my Playbar and TV this Friday from Best Buy/Magnolia. Sonos has 29 days from that date to announce DTS support, else I'm returning the Playbar and going with a Martin Logan. More expensive? Yes. But it supports everything. And if they think yah yah whatever he'll just shrug and forget: calendar reminder is set. I don't invest that kind of money in a device that I'm planning on keeping at least 5-7 years that can't play the full range of audio from my HD Library. Sonos needs to understand that this is an absolute deal killer for the home theatre market. And it won't blow over. Give us an announcement and we will shut up and throw money at you.
Yes, decoding DTS is a must - please add it asap!
I couldn't believe my eyes when I was doing some investigations on the PlayBar (considering it as the next addition to my Sonos-system) and learnt that there is no DTS-support. Really, Sonos... I mean, come on. You gotta be kidding me... Please add it as soon as possible. Right now, this is a dealbreaker for me!
I will not buy PlayBar until DTS is supported. Please add as soon as possible so that I do not have to buy another soundbar.
Userlevel 1
I completely agree.
Userlevel 1
I am looking to purchase a TV soundbar within the next couple of months, my current favourite is the Yamaha YSP-2200, the Sonos Playbar would be a contender if it had DTS support, but until then it is off my list. Which is a shame, as already I have Play 3 and Play 5 speakers to suppport it. I just cannot believe that Sonos Marketing the Playbar as a TV soundbar, honestly thought that the DTS question wouldn't come up! It's a no brainer for anyone seriously looking to use this for home cinema, would want DTS support. DTS is a much more natural sound than Dolby Digital. Stop messing about and get sorted Sonos. This is exactly the same nonsense as when you couldn't play music that was stored on your iPhone, you eventually sorted that out.
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
You're not reading properly. Point 1 concerned DVDs, not Blu-ray - it won't convert the audio on DVD sources. I'll be honest, whilst I'm rather sceptical due to the amount of caveats that Samsung put in the user guide, I'm pretty much desperate to try anything right now. I've got a shelf full of blu-rays that I simply cannot watch in surround sound and it is driving me mad. I'm tempted to buy one of these Samsung players to try and then return it if it doesn't do the job. The main stumbling block is that it has the wrong connector on the back...which means another adapter, another power supply and another mains socket. The irony that Sonos saved a few £s by not paying for a DTS license and I'm now considering spending ~£100 on a workaround that will only help with my blu-rays and no other sources. At this point, I'm thinking I may as well plug the Bose Lifestyle back in with the ZP90. Whilst it was a bit tricky to switch to Sonos audio and back, I actually watch surround sound TV/movies more than I listen to music in that room anyway.