Please add support for DTS for the Sonos Playbar.

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1190 replies

Userlevel 3

Following a careful evaluation, we have decided not to implement support for the DTS audio format in PLAYBAR at this time.

PLAYBAR uses a single optical connection directly from your television and was designed this way to make it as easy as possible to set-up and enjoy great HiFi sound.  Most PLAYBAR owners connect PLAYBAR to their TV in this simple way. This is the intended setup for playing the sound from your TV.

Today, very few TVs pass a DTS-encoded audio stream through their optical output.  Instead, the TV or source device converts the audio signal automatically to PCM, which PLAYBAR supports.  This is how PLAYBAR plays DTS-encoded Blu-rays.

We are committed to supporting the existing and future ecosystem of streaming video services. Currently, popular streaming services do not use DTS and most use Dolby Digital encoding, which PLAYBAR supports.

We are aware that PLAYBAR is being connected by customers to devices other than the television. In this configuration, when PLAYBAR receives a DTS signal, it will not process the signal.  If you are not able to connect your PLAYBAR directly to your TV and would like to explore solutions, please click here

If DTS support is crucial for your current set-up, PLAYBAR may not be the right solution for you and we apologize for this inconvenience.  If you are currently a PLAYBAR owner and would like to discuss options, please contact Sonos Customer Care.

We’ll be actively monitoring TV and streaming services capabilities and trends. If our development stance around DTS decoding in PLAYBAR changes, this community will be among the first to know. 

I'm in the same boat, playbar and sub then found out no dts, but it does sound good or I think it does as I've nothing to compare to... If I do keep I'll definitely not be getting the rear play 1 as I believe that the faux 5.1 will be rubbish.
Userlevel 1

Following a careful evaluation, we have decided not to implement support for the DTS audio format in PLAYBAR at this time.

PLAYBAR uses a single optical connection directly from your television and was designed this way to make it as easy as possible to set-up and enjoy great HiFi sound.  Most PLAYBAR owners connect PLAYBAR to their TV in this simple way. This is the intended setup for playing the sound from your TV.

Today, very few TVs pass a DTS-encoded audio stream through their optical output.  Instead, the TV or source device converts the audio signal automatically to PCM, which PLAYBAR supports.  This is how PLAYBAR plays DTS-encoded Blu-rays.

We are committed to supporting the existing and future ecosystem of streaming video services. Currently, popular streaming services do not use DTS and most use Dolby Digital encoding, which PLAYBAR supports.

We are aware that PLAYBAR is being connected by customers to devices other than the television. In this configuration, when PLAYBAR receives a DTS signal, it will not process the signal.  If you are not able to connect your PLAYBAR directly to your TV and would like to explore solutions, please click here

If DTS support is crucial for your current set-up, PLAYBAR may not be the right solution for you and we apologize for this inconvenience.  If you are currently a PLAYBAR owner and would like to discuss options, please contact Sonos Customer Care.

We’ll be actively monitoring TV and streaming services capabilities and trends. If our development stance around DTS decoding in PLAYBAR changes, this community will be among the first to know. 

@Rich: That's the point.

As written somewhere below '... SONOS encourages you to form your own opinion ...' at home without the opportunity to recognize the weakness of the SONOS virtual surround sound reproduction in direct comparison to a real 5.1 system.

It's easy to believe it's 'great sound (IMHO better noise) played by SONOS' in case you compare to internal TV speakers or at best a stereo set connected to your TV at home.

Get rid of the PLAYBAR as long as they refund older devices, too !
Everyone, a note on comments.  

We are actively moderating discussion in this thread and removing posts that contain inappropriate language.  If your post contains language which is not suitable for a wide audience, it will be removed.

Thank you for your understanding.

I bought my Playbar this summer after I was inside a hifi shop and got a demonstration. I was informed that it lacked support for DTS but the seller calmed me and said it most likely would be added in the future updates. He described sonos as a company at the forefront of solutions with smart update features. I was convinced and bought the product.

When my Playbar arrived I was very pleased. The design is very appealing and the sound was better than expected . However, the absence of a relevant detail , DTS ...

I have been visiting this thread regularly in the hope that it changes status to ' Planned ' . My idea was to go ahead with the Sonos system with 5.1 and build zones in my house with play products and so on. Luckily I waited with this . As much as I want, I can not move forward with a system that does not feel safe for the future. And it doesn't get better when i get the feeling that you could solve it but you do not think it 's worth it. This is another reason why I get scared . If you do not listen to your customers , it becomes difficult to survive in the long run. It would have been better to get the answer that it is not possible with existing technology in Playbar.

I still want to find a solution for this. Is there no third party product that can solve this? I imagine a sound decoder that receives DTS and transcode to Dolby Digital on the fly. I know you can do this with the help of Plex but imagine a small box that you connect the optical cable in and then on to Playbar . Is this even possible? 

We are actively moderating discussion in this thread and removing posts that contain inappropriate language.  If your post contains language which is not suitable for a wide audience, it will be removed.

@ Mathias Get a Samsung Bluray Player if you are determined to keep it. Sonos sure isn't trying to solve the issue and do the right thing...

This is not a matter of the TV set parsing DTS. I would like to replace all my HIFI gear and I want the best sound from my Blue Ray player. I am not able to replace it all because of the missing DTS. So please wake up and give support for 5.1 or even 7.1 DTS. If so I do think your sales will grow even more. But maybe it is not necessary. In Denmark we have a delivery time for Play1 up to month right now

Unbelievable…. a true disappointment….The wrong decision SONOS….whats the chances of a re-consideration ?
Userlevel 2
Badge +5

John M please answer the following then, if you are allowed

Why aren't the following true.

DTS would be easy to add ?

DTS would be cheap to add ?

DTS would not undermine the simplicity principle ?

DTS would expand the market for the PlayBar ?
Just to let you know my 2013 Samsung 8000 series 3D TV can output PCM *and* DTS Neo 2:5 on optical audio for HDMI. (It will also do Dolby Digital for Apps and channels, be we already know that). Apparently DTS Neo is multi-channels encoded in PCM.   I think Sonos will find that to be competitive in the TV sound system space, it is important to keep up with the direction it is headed - 3D and consumers want 3D sound.  The need to buy a separate 3D receiver to connect your HDMI source just to separate audio from video to pump the audio to a optical output, leaving all speaker connections unused does not make sense to a consumer like me.  I would not buy Sonos to hook up to a DTS receiver.
My Samsung 9005 series TV can output DTS.
I am very pleased with my brand new playbar and sub - fantastic sound and extremely user friendly. Thank you for a great product!

However - my Sonos serves a dual purpose: TV sound out: OK. Media center/Blue Ray surrround sound out: Semi-OK. My new Samsung (9005 series) outputs DTS, as does many blue ray movies; but the playbar does not support this format.

There are other users out there with a predicament similar to mine - and with the fast progression of technology and your otherwise very flexible and capable solution, I guess that demand for DTS support will be growing.

DTS support was a parameter in my decision tree before buying Sonos - other parameters were simply more influential on the decision 🙂 But DTS will also be a parameter in (many) other potential customers' buy decision.

Where you win big on the WAF and ease of use in the market place, I suspect that you also risk losing possible users by not supporting DTS. It is one of those easy-to-remember home cinema surround sound formats - and it simply does not look good that: 'Sonos does not support DTS' - however rational and logical the original solution not to do so was in the beginning. 

...and technology will make more and more potential customers want DTS support.

Please re-consider the decision not to support DTS. For my sake because I'd like DTS sound through my Playbar - and for Sonos' sake because it is an un-necessary scratch on an otherwise spotless image 🙂

OMG, this way to treat customers of a fairly high ranked brand is nothing but a disaster.

SONOS were pioneers in streaming at the time when no other solutions worked sufficiently good. Now you are being taken over by more or less the rest of the market  what the compatibility is concerned because of some stubborn decision at management level.

Maybe it is time to sell out the rest of my SONOS stuff at home, before it becomes worthless, dragged down in value by the reputation?

I am utterly disappointed. 😞

disappointing!

I'm glad I held off on buying the sonos playbar. I guess I will have to settle for Sony HTST7 or Bose CineMate SR1. I will just add a sonos connect to it later on. 
Userlevel 1

Real shame... I can't imagine many TV Producers to hold back on routing DTS through the telly in the future. Especially as the channels in DTS provide further options on additional experiences, which could come in handy for extra gadgets in the living room

On the other hand other producers of TV bars, surround systems, multiroom systems etc. will catch up with the easy multiroom functionality of SONOS. It's inevitable... because why wouldn't they?!!
Once this has happened, it will be an easy decision to switch away from SONOS and to a producer that offer DTS support.

Why start so brilliantly and then stop developing?
The speakers are otherwise extremely nice in all aspects... come on!!!
Userlevel 2
Badge +5

I understand SONOS's view that most TV's don't feed 5.1, and they want it to be a totally simple, works on the button solution but what happens if most TV's do start passing 5.1 out of the optical port ? 50% of the time when watching DVD's you will have to fiddle about to get sound ?

QUESTION :

Would SONOS be prepared to offer current playbar owners who register, 50% off any new Playbar that supports DTS or HDMI pass through if one is sold in the next 5 years ?

Might be a deal clincher for some ?
Userlevel 1

I sent the Playbar back. I will get my money back.
I am so sorry about it and it makes me sad somehow.

I like the Playbar a lot and the DD 5.1 sound was great and I was happy to use it with my Bluray player but I got silence so many times due to the lack of DTS support which was sooo frustrating and made many movies quite useless.

I hope you'll do better in the future SONOS.

ok YOU decide that I do not need that feature ?
It seems to me that ist not really a customer friendly behaviour.
Your system is awsome. We would like to listen to that awsome sound when viewing a blue-ray disc.
DTS will be just a codec you add to the firmware.
You will have to pay for the codec a licensing fee.
How much is that ? Tell me please. You find DTS feature in devices that cost a fraction of your system. The licensing for DTS is surely not a lot. Let the users that WANT this feature pay for it. I am sure that all users capable of using it WILL buy it. How much can it cost 5$, 10$, 25$ ?
Think about it. A customer being locked out of a feature than CAN EASILY be installed is no customer that will praise your product to his friends. It will always be the thing like: Playbar ... yes ist awsome BUT....This BUT will cost you new customers.

so does my panasonic gtw60

I am not paying any more for DTS. I have bought a Sonos Sub - 2 x Play 1's and a PlayBar to enhance my viewing experience only to find most of my viewing requires DTS. I didn't realise how much I would need DTS until now. 

Can i return the full system? There's no point in just returning the playbar

I'll just have to find an alternative. Will be a real shame to move away from Sonos in the lounge as the rest of the house is all Sonos.

The communication behavior of John M. respectively SONOS is really a shame. :-(
They don't answer many questions of disappointed customers. This is far away from a professional acting company, especially in this forum, which I thought is an important platform for SONOS to listen to the real pain ot their customers.

And probably they are not really used how to act in the "new world of social media marketing"... let's hope, that they know what a sh**storm is... that they are changing their way of communicating with their customers and that they start to take their concerns seriously!
Badge +18

We are aware that PLAYBAR is being connected by customers to devices other than the television. In this configuration, when PLAYBAR receives a DTS signal, it will not process the signal.  If you are not able to connect your PLAYBAR directly to your TV and would like to explore solutions, please click here

If DTS support is crucial for your current set-up, PLAYBAR may not be the right solution for you and we apologize for this inconvenience.  If you are currently a PLAYBAR owner and would like to discuss options, please contact Sonos Customer Care.

Edit:  This thread is now closed to new comments.  
Userlevel 2
Badge
biggest mistake buying the Sonos Soundbar to discover this flaw!
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
Fla56... What devices are you using that use DTS? It's pretty likely that they can convert to Dolby.
Userlevel 2
Badge
PS4 (Bluray) and Plex -thanks but not interested in conversion or even worse live transcoding and losing even more quality

This is a Sonos fail -the only correct answer is to support DTS directly
Userlevel 1
Sonos, please reconsider and add DTS support to playbar!