Please add support for DTS for the Sonos Playbar.

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1190 replies

Following a careful evaluation, we have decided not to implement support for the DTS audio format in PLAYBAR at this time.

PLAYBAR uses a single optical connection directly from your television and was designed this way to make it as easy as possible to set-up and enjoy great HiFi sound.  Most PLAYBAR owners connect PLAYBAR to their TV in this simple way. This is the intended setup for playing the sound from your TV.

Today, very few TVs pass a DTS-encoded audio stream through their optical output.  Instead, the TV or source device converts the audio signal automatically to PCM, which PLAYBAR supports.  This is how PLAYBAR plays DTS-encoded Blu-rays.

We are committed to supporting the existing and future ecosystem of streaming video services. Currently, popular streaming services do not use DTS and most use Dolby Digital encoding, which PLAYBAR supports.

We are aware that PLAYBAR is being connected by customers to devices other than the television. In this configuration, when PLAYBAR receives a DTS signal, it will not process the signal.  If you are not able to connect your PLAYBAR directly to your TV and would like to explore solutions, please click here

If DTS support is crucial for your current set-up, PLAYBAR may not be the right solution for you and we apologize for this inconvenience.  If you are currently a PLAYBAR owner and would like to discuss options, please contact Sonos Customer Care.

We’ll be actively monitoring TV and streaming services capabilities and trends. If our development stance around DTS decoding in PLAYBAR changes, this community will be among the first to know. 

It's not just licensing. There is some talk that DTS wouldn't license a software only solution, that they require some sort of hardware where they control the implementation. Purely speculation, but that would explain the time it took to come to the final result; there was maybe a lot of back and forth going on before DTS finally slammed the door.

Following a careful evaluation, we have decided not to implement support for the DTS audio format in PLAYBAR at this time.

PLAYBAR uses a single optical connection directly from your television and was designed this way to make it as easy as possible to set-up and enjoy great HiFi sound.  Most PLAYBAR owners connect PLAYBAR to their TV in this simple way. This is the intended setup for playing the sound from your TV.

Today, very few TVs pass a DTS-encoded audio stream through their optical output.  Instead, the TV or source device converts the audio signal automatically to PCM, which PLAYBAR supports.  This is how PLAYBAR plays DTS-encoded Blu-rays.

We are committed to supporting the existing and future ecosystem of streaming video services. Currently, popular streaming services do not use DTS and most use Dolby Digital encoding, which PLAYBAR supports.

We are aware that PLAYBAR is being connected by customers to devices other than the television. In this configuration, when PLAYBAR receives a DTS signal, it will not process the signal.  If you are not able to connect your PLAYBAR directly to your TV and would like to explore solutions, please click here

If DTS support is crucial for your current set-up, PLAYBAR may not be the right solution for you and we apologize for this inconvenience.  If you are currently a PLAYBAR owner and would like to discuss options, please contact Sonos Customer Care.

We’ll be actively monitoring TV and streaming services capabilities and trends. If our development stance around DTS decoding in PLAYBAR changes, this community will be among the first to know. 

Very very very very very very very poor
Userlevel 2
Badge +4

So: no playbar for me !
Userlevel 3

I have a playbar and sub, which is awesome but the plan to add two play 1's and create a 5.1 system seems well pointless... I do stream at lot of Netflix and could buy new movies through apple TV, but I'm quite old fashioned in that I like a box n disc that you get with Blu-ray.... Please reconsider Dts or invent/produce a Sonos branded switch box think lol
Userlevel 2

@ Rich Morris and John M
The SONOS SWITCH sounds like a good idea. If it's really the case that the DTS company does not license a software only solution (like a DTS supporting firmware update for the Playbar), then perhaps they would approve a new Switch from Sonos. 3 optical in for TV, BD Player and e.g. gaming console, 1 out for the Playbar. The Switch is controllable from the Sonos app and converts DTS to DD5.1. Is this a somehow realistic scenario, John M??
Perhaps someone should make a request / idea out of it in this forum?! And when we are at it, we could make a separate specifically for a DTS in-app purchase. I mean, if DTS Inc. would claim a license fee for only the people who buy it, Sonos could just top an own profit on top of it and everbody's happy...
Badge +18

@Fabian

PLAYBAR was designed with the single optical connection to make it as simple as possible to set it up and get great sound in minutes by connecting it through the TV.  A switch is not something we are considering at this time but thank you for sharing your views and for the suggestion.   

@ Fabian & @pete

While licensing terms do play a role in this decision, there is also a great deal of development and engineering effort required to implement and optimize this feature.  We carefully considered all factors before deciding on not implementing DTS in PLAYBAR.   
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
Reading through this, playbar 1 has a design flaw and will NEVER support DTS. It has to come in later version if at all Sonos plan to introduce it. Waiting to hear back from Sonos on the next steps to return my items.
Userlevel 2
This is truly unbelievable. Just hit my first issue 2 days ago where I couldn't watch 10 different movies due to this. Just dropped $700 on a SUB 3 weeks ago and now really second guessing that choice and my plans to move forward with buying 2 PLAY:1's... very disappointed with Sonos and their decision here.

I'm sure that may be the case John but (and I accept you'll always get more people complaining online than complementing you on a decision) it seems that Sonos are seriously damaging their reputation by basically ignoring the requests of many of us who have invested heavily in your products and were happy with the company's decision to give us potentially a great way of combining the ease of use, the range of music and the quality of sound with the "home theatre" experience that your marketing states we get from the playbar and play-1/3 etc.  The decision not to support what is pretty much the standard for blu-rays (ie home theatre films) seems a crazy decision and will lead to a loss of potential sales; potentially many returns of existing equipment; and a marketing boost for all competitors of yours in the "home theatre" and music sector.
I'm afraid that not everyone streams their movies - in fact I'd guess that more people who would buy Sonos because of its ease of setup and use are actually more likely to want to just plug and play a blu-ray player in than to have to stream films!

I've just told my friend I was going to wait until the next playbar version with DTS support, then I've checked again and found this "official" answer...I'm going to find another system to replace everything...What a waste of money!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am a new SONOS owner and finally felt compelled to speak. I have been watching these DTS threads play out for the last month. Anyway they try and spin it, the fact remains that they just don't care about their customers wishes. I mean how many hundreds have commented negatively about this missing feature? Out of 100's I've read, I haven't seen ONE positive comment about the decision because there's just nothing positive to say about it. Great products but this is corporate customer brand loyalty suicide plain and simple. Every single way it was handled was poor. It really took a year to come up with this decision? As soon as the competition catches up technically they wont make the same mistake and will absolutely implement DTS and then things will get reeeaaalllyyy interesting. Not that SONOS cares about my (customer's) oppinion, it's been abundantly clear that it was the wrong outcome. Again, I am a new to SONOS owner who truly wants to see the company thrive. But John M, Who exactly is paying for your company to exist any way? Last time I checked it was your customers. Companies that forget that fact in this competitive landscape all go extinct in time...

That, Sonos is called corporate suicide. Does anyone want to buy all my full sonos 5.1 set up.
Userlevel 2

@John M how do i return my sonos products? I've sent an email thru your customer support and still dont have any reply up until now on how to return Sonos products for my 5.1 system...
Userlevel 1
People,
we all know John is a "small light" in the Sonos organisation.
Paid to tell us what we want to hear, or in this case, try to convince us, that Playbar is a good product even without DTS support.
Which it isn't!

I could write a long story here, how I have send many improvement suggestions (more sensitive volume control especially in the low volume range, ramp up the alarm volume over a couple of minutes, put a sleep button on the widget, include google all music,...)  to Sonos from the early days, but nothing of it ever made it into their software.
Because they back office ignores what we write here. they follow their own "plans" for function integration, which look to me, as if they were prioritized by someone who has never red this forum in his life. 

Our ideas and complaints might get forwarded to their "developer team", but there seems either not enough capacity, or not enough talent to implement it.
Or some director does not see the benefit to invest money in DTS support.

So i say: let's stop talking and start acting.

More than 1400 people back up this DTS topic here.

Let's all apply for a refund, and return our Playbar, Sub (if you have), and Play3 or Play1 that you might have bought as surround speakers to Sonos, with the simple reason:
Not fit for intended use - does not support DTS.

If all of us 1400 frustrated user only return a Playbar, Sonos looses 1400 x 650 USD = almost 1mio USD turnover.
Add some 700-800 Subs and Play3 pairs to it, and it could sum up to almost 2mio USD.

Plus the additional loss of turn over by our recommendation to not buy Sonos products to our 1400 x approx. 500+ = 700.000+ friends on Facebook and Twitter.

I hope this will give Sonos senior management enough reason to reconsider investing into DTS support.

Poor and wrong decision! I recommended Sonos to all my friends and family and convinced a few of them to buy into the system. One reason was the good support and the customer friendly corporate policy. I will stop these recommendations with immediate effect. But I wish that you keep one thing in mind: it is never too late to correct such a strategic mistake. It would be a very wise decision and customers would highly appreciate it if they would see that you listened to their concerns and complaints. Discuss that in the management board once again after reading the shitstorm here. Maybe you have underestimated the reactions. I am pretty sure it will harm your revenues quite significantly if you stick to that decision. I will stay with my Playbar, Sub, 3 Play:1s and one Play:3. Invested a lot of money but will stop that by now. I am really, really disappointed Mr. John MacFarlane. Might be the worst decision in your career as the founder and CEO of the company I loved but no longer will.
DTS, Inc. (Nasdaq: DTSI), a leader in high-definition audio solutions and audio enhancement technologies today announced that it has expanded its relationship with Panasonic Corporation to integrate DTS decoding capability within the company's new ZT60, VT60, ST60, S60, X60 series PDP TVs and WT60, DT60, ET60, E60, EM60 series LCD TVs in North America. This marks the first time that Panasonic has offered DTS 2.0+Digital Out™ in televisions targeting the North American market, which provides Panasonic's customers high-performance DTS sound to compliment the stunning visual capabilities of their TVs.

DTS, Inc. (Nasdaq: DTSI), a leader in high-definition audio solutions and audio enhancement technologies today announced that it has expanded its relationship with Panasonic Corporation to integrate DTS decoding capability within the company's new ZT60, VT60, ST60, S60, X60 series PDP TVs and WT60, DT60, ET60, E60, EM60 series LCD TVs in North America. This marks the first time that Panasonic has offered DTS 2.0+Digital Out™ in televisions targeting the North American market, which provides Panasonic's customers high-performance DTS sound to compliment the stunning visual capabilities of their TVs.
Userlevel 2
Badge

lol
Userlevel 2

@User810660:
Good, these are the things which will convince Sonos. That's 10 more TV series.
Userlevel 4
Badge +6

@Sonos
A beer coaster was not invented to level a table, but who the hell you think you are to prohibite it! Don't think what customers should do with your products. We decide!
Userlevel 2

This is a poor decision, just because many current TVs do not pass DTS through the optical connection is a shit answer. Why not future proof your product, at CES 2014 the TVs I saw passed DTS through the optical connection. Also Sonos is not an entry level brand, if I wanted a soundbar with identical sound quality I could by $200-300 soundbar. Sonos is about using current technologies and offering things at a premium to early adopters. Sonos customers choose Sonos for the features, and DTS is a pretty important feature if almost 1500 customers signed a petition for it to be added. I currently have a Playbar, 2 Play:3s and a Sub and it sounds great when Dolby 5.1 is passed through, but when I play something encoded in DTS and it's converted to PCM and then "upgraded" using Sonos faux-surround, it sounds terrible. I can literally buy a Samsung soundbar and sub for $200 that supports DTS; yet I've spent way more for something that sounds worse.

I regret buying my hardware through Amazon, if I could I would return every Sonos product I own.
Badge +18

@John Edrian Lomoljo

We did receive your email and sent a response on January 20th.  It sounds like you haven't received it yet but just in case, check your spam folder.  
Userlevel 2

Not the answer I was hoping for, but thanks for explaining the reasoning and also be open about people's disappointment. I appreciate you sometimes have to say no, but at least you did it in a very good and customer focused way.
Userlevel 1

I agree.  After a very long time you at least gave us a decision whether we like it or not.  And appreciate that you are still allowing people to comment.  Having said that, how do we get refunds if we have purchased the playbar and associated components from resellers?
Badge +18

@Sam 

See the link in my original post under Sonos Customer Care to discuss options.  Thanks for your comments.