Please add support for DTS for the Sonos Playbar.

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1190 replies

Following a careful evaluation, we have decided not to implement support for the DTS audio format in PLAYBAR at this time.

PLAYBAR uses a single optical connection directly from your television and was designed this way to make it as easy as possible to set-up and enjoy great HiFi sound.  Most PLAYBAR owners connect PLAYBAR to their TV in this simple way. This is the intended setup for playing the sound from your TV.

Today, very few TVs pass a DTS-encoded audio stream through their optical output.  Instead, the TV or source device converts the audio signal automatically to PCM, which PLAYBAR supports.  This is how PLAYBAR plays DTS-encoded Blu-rays.

We are committed to supporting the existing and future ecosystem of streaming video services. Currently, popular streaming services do not use DTS and most use Dolby Digital encoding, which PLAYBAR supports.

We are aware that PLAYBAR is being connected by customers to devices other than the television. In this configuration, when PLAYBAR receives a DTS signal, it will not process the signal.  If you are not able to connect your PLAYBAR directly to your TV and would like to explore solutions, please click here

If DTS support is crucial for your current set-up, PLAYBAR may not be the right solution for you and we apologize for this inconvenience.  If you are currently a PLAYBAR owner and would like to discuss options, please contact Sonos Customer Care.

We’ll be actively monitoring TV and streaming services capabilities and trends. If our development stance around DTS decoding in PLAYBAR changes, this community will be among the first to know. 

@John M - so if you are technically able to "reevaluate this decision" then that infers that
there is no technical limitation for you not to implement DTS support...

As such, you are making (IMHO) a huge mistake, upsetting a percentage of your very loyal  customer base, for what must amount to a commercial decision.

I just hope you reconsider.
Userlevel 2

Following a careful evaluation, we have decided not to implement support for the DTS audio format in PLAYBAR at this time.

PLAYBAR uses a single optical connection directly from your television and was designed this way to make it as easy as possible to set-up and enjoy great HiFi sound.  Most PLAYBAR owners connect PLAYBAR to their TV in this simple way. This is the intended setup for playing the sound from your TV.

Today, very few TVs pass a DTS-encoded audio stream through their optical output.  Instead, the TV or source device converts the audio signal automatically to PCM, which PLAYBAR supports.  This is how PLAYBAR plays DTS-encoded Blu-rays.

We are committed to supporting the existing and future ecosystem of streaming video services. Currently, popular streaming services do not use DTS and most use Dolby Digital encoding, which PLAYBAR supports.

We are aware that PLAYBAR is being connected by customers to devices other than the television. In this configuration, when PLAYBAR receives a DTS signal, it will not process the signal.  If you are not able to connect your PLAYBAR directly to your TV and would like to explore solutions, please click here

If DTS support is crucial for your current set-up, PLAYBAR may not be the right solution for you and we apologize for this inconvenience.  If you are currently a PLAYBAR owner and would like to discuss options, please contact Sonos Customer Care.

We’ll be actively monitoring TV and streaming services capabilities and trends. If our development stance around DTS decoding in PLAYBAR changes, this community will be among the first to know. 

hmm you can consider to return the playbar and buy a B&W panorama 2 which supports:

Dolby® Digital
Dolby PLII
DTS™
Stereo

and has 
3 x HDMI
1 x 3,5mm analoog/digital 

http://www.bowers-wilkins.nl/Downloads/Product/Review/Panorama2-homecinema.pdf
Userlevel 1

To bad, in this case it's NOT PLANNED to buy any Playbar, Sub, Play:1 ...

Actually what a disappointment, a Sonos Surround System supporting DD & DTS would have been a perfect match to my Sonos equipment.

As DTS is a must have for me, are there any other user suggestions which other DTS supporting playbar is recommendable? (@Sonos: sorry but this is entirely your mess...)

@John M, when you say you will "reevaluate the decision", are you actually saying: "It's technically possible, but not in our interest to do it" or you are saying a placating line that gives people hope to buy the equipment when there may be no hope.

@John M, please expressly say that IT IS technically possible to add DTS in due course.
Userlevel 4
Badge +2

@Chris Booth - it has been confirmed on numerous occasions that there is no technical obstacle for this. It's simply a political/financial decision. For its intended target market - people who want to upgrade the sound on their TV - PLAYBAR fits the bill as is. Most of those will get upmixed stereo sound, maybe a bit of 5.1. Dolby Digital on occasion, but they aren't audiophiles in any way. They don't require DTS and Sonos is clearly confident they will ship enough units to that market to not worry about the minority that require it. Similar applied with Bose when I invested in a Lifestyle Home Theater system back in 1999. It had a single input, that was co-ax digital, and could only handle Dolby Digital. I only wanted to connect a DVD player and DVDs were pretty much exclusively Dolby Digital, so they didn't need to worry. I bought A Few Good Men on DVD, it had mpeg audio. I got silence. I bought True Lies, it had a DTS soundtrack, I got silence. I vowed never to buy another Bose system again. I connected a Sonos ZP80 to it for music, it wasn't entirely convenient having to manually switch between inputs. Then PLAYBAR was announced. I got excited at having a convenient way of switching between TV/Movie audio and Sonos music. I particularly got excited at leaving the DTS problem in the past. But it didn't work. I was stuck in 1999. Thankfully Samsung recognised this, by building DTS -> Dolby Digital converters into a blu-ray player that only costs £50. It allows me to get 5.1 surround from DTS discs. How they can build a disc player, license Blu-ray from Sony, license DVD from Philips, license Compact Disc from Philips, license DD 5.1 from Dolby Labs and STILL have change to license DTS is beyond me. The PLAYBAR that costs 10x as much can't do that. I bought the Samsung player. It's an odd shape, has an unusual UI that isn't that user friendly, crashes sometimes and - best of all - has a co-axial digital output. It would have been great on my Bose system but for PLAYBAR I need to use a coax->optical converter unit too. Shame it only works on physical discs, as it is like living in the past. I ripped my entire DVD collection to ISO format so I could store them all on my NAS and easily switch between them. My media player outputs the original audio which, in many cases, is DTS - which means silence on PLAYBAR. Ironic that Sonos music players allowed me to ditch disc based media yet their soundbar is forcing me to hang on to disc for dear life. Thanks Samsung for at least giving us an option.
Userlevel 2

I'm very sad after reading this... if you read the discussions and tests, this is your main problem why people don't buy your playbar. You are sounding like : Love it (as it is) or leave it ... and this sounds VERY ARROGANT!!!! sorry I can't understand such a company policy

Regarding this, i have a more technical question then.. i have a pioneer vsx-s510 laying around, any way i could pass my tv sound through the amp via hdmi and back to the playbar with optical? would that actually work as the amp does support DTS? This might be very stupid, i'm far from a professional just trying to understand if there's a way to complement the sonos setup and make it read DTS..
Userlevel 2

John. Ive been following this discussion for a few months now. Im relatively new to Sonos and recently invested in a couple of play 3's for my living room as well as a play 1 for elsewhere in the house. My plan was to purchase a sub and playbar in the near future based on when the DTS issue was sorted. As most of my movies are blu-ray I am now a bit lost as to what to do apart from buying a new Samsung blu-ray player as well to get over the issue! I think I'll revert to an alternative manufacturer for a soundbar and sub solution and accept that my idea that Sonos could solve all my home entertainment issues was a naive one. Problem is I still want the sub to give my Play 3's some more bass so may end up with two different makes of sub in the living room which sounds like a rubbish conclusion. Overall a poor end to a long debate.

Hi everyone,

For everyone that has the playbar hooked up to a media center computer, I found a workaround to get DTS to playback in Dolby 5.1 by using Plex:
https://forums.plex.tv/index.php/topic/90856-enabling-dobly-digital-ac3-capable-receiver-disabling-d...

As for getting 5.1 out of your bluray player, it seems like the only option is a bluray player that will convert it on the fly like mentioned above.

And a non-related tip:

For getting 5.1 out of other non-DTS systems you have hooked up to your TV (such as an Xbox, Playstation, Cable box, etc.) I would recommend looking into getting an HDMI switch with an audio extractor. Basically you hook up your HDMI devices to the switch inputs, and then you have one HDMI output (to your TV), and one optical output to your Playbar. It's not the ideal solution, but it's definitely the best workaround I've found so far.

God this is poor customer support, all Samsung SmartTVs for instance happily send out DTS from SmartTV apps like Plex..

I have 9 Sonos speakers, including the playbar, but will certainly never recommend Sonos to any of my friends again, sadly, as apart from this problem I have been very pleased with Sonos.

Having it be an oversight at first was acceptable, hell even the year wait for a decision I was willing to take, but to have the decision come out against it is simply beyond me.

I am not a happy Sonos customer anymore.

My TV passes DTS through optical output, and you can tell how delighted I was to hear nothing from the speakers when I tried it. I'm not sure where you are getting your facts from, but working on the home automation business tells me that people who spend on expensive audio also spend on high end TVs that support DTS. In the end, I am disappointed that after spending so much money on your product you don't care about customers like me. On your website you say it supports 5.1 audio from blu rays, HDTVs, Consoles, etc - that is false advertising! Its like saying a TV supports full HD when it only goes to 720p. 

You need to re-evaluate your decision! 
Badge +18

@iGuess

PLAYBAR, like other Sonos products, was designed to be easily upgradable as the technology environment evolves so from a purely technical standpoint, it would be possible to develop a DTS decoding solution. This would of course have to be licensed and approved by DTS.
Badge +18

@Chris Booth

Please see the response above to iGuess, I think this answers your question.  
Badge +18

@aka.sphynx

The amp is capable of decoding DTS but if it passes DTS out via optical to the PLAYBAR, you won't hear audio as the PLAYBAR does not decode it. The source needs to be converted to either stereo PCM or Dolby Digital before it's passed to the PLAYBAR.

@John M, it indeed does answer my question, it's not in your commercial interest to implement DTS.

I beg to differ, but no point is there now... At least you made someone happy John, my wife has been wanting a new sofa so I'll have to spend the $2,500 on that instead. No way I'm spending THAT amount of money for my friends to tell me I don't even get proper surround sound.
Userlevel 2

I'm so disappointed... This sucks.

Sonos makes my wife sad at the moment. We invested in a Playbar + 2xPlay:1 before Christmas.. We were so happy about the System. But we missed one point: DTS. I promised her, that Sonos will bring the DTS feature. Because I thought this shouldn't be a big thing for Sonos with its good reputation as a technical leader and its customer minded philosophy.

But you now proofed, that I'm wrong.

Just let me give you a little advice: To become a brand with a good reputation is a hard and long way. But to lose the customers trust is as easy as becoming a bad brand.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2

We gonna ask you again Sonos please give us DTS support! And we gonna keeping this question so long that we gonna change your mind Sonos! You have made a big mistake! How much will it cost for DTS support? Don't fool us Sonos and give your customers what they really need! DTS support!

Oh puh-leez. *rolleyes*

It's not coming. Be an adult and move on.
Userlevel 3

I mean look, they took a stance. I'm not happy, but they let us know. If you aren't happy, they are giving you an option to return it. So return it. I mean what company would allow a purchase made over 8months ago to be returned? I go to best buy and they have a crappy 14day policy where I couldn't return a $10 flash drive because it was 2days late. If netflix or one of the bigger streaming services support DTS, I'm sure Sonos will hear it 🙂.
Very poor decision. At best your advertising is misleading at worst it is a blatant obfuscation of the truth.
Count my vote.

I found the same problem with my tv, LG 39LA6208. it passes DTS, DD and any other stream on to my playbar. So my Blu-ray movies play in complete silence or 2.0 PCM....

Like Raum86 I also invested in The Playbar + 2 Play 3 both for music and surround. I was aware of the lacking of DTS but thought it would of course be added with a software update. Since I was primarily buying the system for listening to music and having surround from the set top box and netflix streaming I wasn't too worried. It was not until I learned that most Blu-Rays these days don't come with DD5.1 track that I got a little frustrated. As many people I haven't been able to hear the difference between a DTS track and a DD5.1 track, so if it weren't for the DTS only on (most) of my blu-rays I'd be happy man. 

Therefore this turn of events felt like a kick in the b…. Anyway, I started searching around the forum and deeply embedded in one of the many threads regarding this limitation I found a solution for my setup, at least. I use the PS3 for games as well as BD-playback and the PS (and PS4) is actually able to convert the DTS signal to a great sounding DD5.1 track. You'll have the surround experience even on your BD DTS only tracks. 

It's not that obvious how this takes place, but these are the steps to achieve it: 

Sound settings > optical output > choose only Dolby Digital 5.1 and leave the others blank (some are preselected and can't be unselected, that's fine)

Vidoe settings > BD audio output format (optical digital) > bitstream (mix)

This solution requires that you connect Playbar directly to the PS3, but that can be done using a switch. 

I know this tip might be 'redundant' as it has appeared elsewhere on the forum, but I just want as many people with PS3/PS4 setup to know that quality surround sound from BD with DTS only is possible with Playbar setup. 
Userlevel 2

I just don't have any words for this decision. I really hope you are reconsidering this in the near future, Sonos. On the market for multi room music streaming you are one of the best, if not the best. And you do a great job with updating and enhancing this service further on a regular basis. BUT with the Playbar and the 1s/3s as rears you entered the market for home theater surround sound systems. And the lack of DTS support just throws you behind your competitors in this segment. I can't believe that the offering of a in-app purchase of the DTS for the willing Playbar owners can produce any financial loss for you. Please rethink!
Userlevel 2

@ John M:
You keep saying we should connect our BD players to the TV and because most of the TVs don't pass through DTS it sends a stereo PCM which the Playbar uses to "create a surround experience". While I would never say the Playbars algorithms for emulating 5.1 from 2.0 are bad, you have to admit that it can never ever be as good as the native 5.1 from a DD or DTS signal by far. So this can't honestly the way you want your awesome product to work way under its possibilities. Not with this price tag.

P.S.: I don't know if you are even in the development team. But either way I believe you have an not so easy job here with all the shitstorm you have to cope with. Therefor I wanna say you are doing it good and in a professional way. But your company should really rethink this issue.
Userlevel 3

The way JohnM talks, "PLAYBAR, like other Sonos products, was designed to be easily upgradable as the technology environment evolves so from a purely technical standpoint, it would be possible to develop a DTS decoding solution. This would of course have to be licensed and approved by DTS." The last sentence really sticks out. Really seems like the two parties couldn't come to an agreement. It takes two to tango, does anyone know what a license fee would cost? Maybe it could be a value added, for the owners who want DTS they would pay extra? I'm grasping at straws now 😞