Please add support for DTS for the Sonos Playbar.

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1190 replies

Userlevel 2
John M replied here 2 days ago:
https://ask.sonos.com/sonos/topics/no_clarity_on_playbar_supporting_dts_still_please_dont_be_arrogan...
I've been looking at sounds bars for some time now. Both the Bose and Sonos sound bars sound ok but from my research neither is providing enough bang for my buck at this time....Sonos has a slight edge in certain areas but I'm not upgrading my current system until DTS SUPPORT is added PLEASE count my vote
I've been looking at sounds bars for some time now. Both the Bose and Sonos sound bars sound ok but from my research neither is providing enough bang for my buck at this time....Sonos has a slight edge in certain areas but I'm not upgrading my current system until DTS SUPPORT is added PLEASE count my vote
Anyone who has worked in a software company will find this familiar. Under consideration means it hasn't been ruled out, but there's a lot more in the pipeline that is considered a higher priority, be it bug fixes, new features, or whatever else.

You can't add every feature to the roadmap far in advance of when it will be implemented, because changing technologies and unforeseen consequences mean that you may have to remove it before implementation. This will reduce user and investor confidence in your roadmap, which is a bad thing for everyone. It also means additional (and expensive!) developer hours spent on adding support for features that may not make it into the product, or because of the complexity of the overall codebase, refactoring code to include hooks for an uncertain future feature, potentially a lot of wasted time and expense, leading to a necessary increase in product pricing.

I am confident that Sonos will add DTS support before too long, because it makes sound business sense to do so. However, should it no longer make as much sense to do so - because of an industry shift to another technology for example - to commit now to the addition of this would require a licencing agreement that could cost a significant amount in vain, and the amount would have to be agreed up front before Sonos could commit, to avoid having sunk hundreds or thousands of development, QA and testing hours into a technology that would drive the Playbar price too high to sell.

Personally, I'd like to see it developed as a paid add on for up to US$100, if that would speed development, but I suspect that given the numbers of people using Sonos systems happily without DTS, this might not still be enough to make it worthwhile to Sonos.

So to all the people having temper tantrums about the lack of DTS support, please understand that Sonos is a business and to sustain their company they need to deal with the realities of finance. Register your desire for DTS support, and move on. Histrionics do not help. To those of you who are contributing intelligently to the discussion, I salute you; you are in a minority.

R.
No DTS on the Playbar is a huge drawback.  This shouldn't be "under consideration" it should be "in progress."  COME ON!
Userlevel 2
Badge
A generous description of reply there Fabian 😉  They really are a bunch of muppets.
I would assume this isn't a quick & easy decision to be taken by Sonos & I imagine DTS needs a license fee to use, which Sonos will need to pay. I wouldn't have thought it's hardware as it would be a straight "No" answer.

Similarly to IOS, apps that use AC3 (owned by Dolby), even free apps were being asked to stump up $0.99 per copy to use the AC3 codec. Shame, as I think this is a major selling point for a lot of people.
Userlevel 1
For more information:

https://ask.sonos.com/sonos/topics/no_clarity_on_playbar_supporting_dts_still_please_dont_be_arrogant
Userlevel 1
Dear all,

finally it was the perfect decision to return the scrappy 'PLAYBAR v1 without DTS and without HDMI' early in 2013. The DTS topic is still 'Under Consideration', last official reply 4m (in writing FOUR MONTH') ago, no valuable progress on a lot of other PLAYBAR related topics, a useless PLAY:1 dealing with the same PLAYBAR issues as most of the other SONOS 'equipment'.

For sure SONOS can't never ever solve those issues, 'cause - as I already stated early in 2013 - most of those issues are simply 'failure by design' created by an high-handed engineering team not listening to their customers and not understanding home theater technology and licensing.

P.S.:
Just to keep the big J updated :))

P.P.S.:
Yes, that very big J who called me 'Major of Problem Customer Town' (MPTC) !
I'm still so proud of my tin foil hat, 'cause it works fine compared with a PLAYBAR.
Userlevel 2
Could have been a new Sonos customer, but without DTS no chance...
This is also a deal breaker for me. I really wanted to purchase this system but will wait until DTS is supported.
Another vote for DTS. It's a deal breaker for me. I am ready to buy the sonos 5.1 setup as soon as DTS support is added.
Here is a semi-workaround for ones with lots ripped media and Plex:
https://forums.plex.tv/index.php/topic/90856-enabling-dobly-digital-ac3-capable-receiver-disabling-d...
I already own a Play:5, Play:3, Connect, and Amp. Excellent products which I recommend to others. I'm considering the Playbar and a pair of :1's for surround to replace my current wired setup. I would not hesitate to purchase these provided Sonos adds support for DTS. How can this still be 'under consideration' one wonders?

Waiting...
Badge +18
Following a careful evaluation, we have decided not to implement support for the DTS audio format in PLAYBAR at this time.

PLAYBAR uses a single optical connection directly from your television and was designed this way to make it as easy as possible to set-up and enjoy great HiFi sound.  Most PLAYBAR owners connect PLAYBAR to their TV in this simple way. This is the intended setup for playing the sound from your TV.

Today, very few TVs pass a DTS-encoded audio stream through their optical output.  Instead, the TV or source device converts the audio signal automatically to PCM, which PLAYBAR supports.  This is how PLAYBAR plays DTS-encoded Blu-rays.

We are committed to supporting the existing and future ecosystem of streaming video services. Currently, popular streaming services do not use DTS and most use Dolby Digital encoding, which PLAYBAR supports.

We are aware that PLAYBAR is being connected by customers to devices other than the television. In this configuration, when PLAYBAR receives a DTS signal, it will not process the signal.  If you are not able to connect your PLAYBAR directly to your TV and would like to explore solutions, please click here

If DTS support is crucial for your current set-up, PLAYBAR may not be the right solution for you and we apologize for this inconvenience.  If you are currently a PLAYBAR owner and would like to discuss options, please contact Sonos Customer Care.

We’ll be actively monitoring TV and streaming services capabilities and trends. If our development stance around DTS decoding in PLAYBAR changes, this community will be among the first to know. 
Userlevel 3
Badge
Why does this no longer say under consideration anymore?
Userlevel 3
Badge

Following a careful evaluation, we have decided not to implement support for the DTS audio format in PLAYBAR at this time.

PLAYBAR uses a single optical connection directly from your television and was designed this way to make it as easy as possible to set-up and enjoy great HiFi sound.  Most PLAYBAR owners connect PLAYBAR to their TV in this simple way. This is the intended setup for playing the sound from your TV.

Today, very few TVs pass a DTS-encoded audio stream through their optical output.  Instead, the TV or source device converts the audio signal automatically to PCM, which PLAYBAR supports.  This is how PLAYBAR plays DTS-encoded Blu-rays.

We are committed to supporting the existing and future ecosystem of streaming video services. Currently, popular streaming services do not use DTS and most use Dolby Digital encoding, which PLAYBAR supports.

We are aware that PLAYBAR is being connected by customers to devices other than the television. In this configuration, when PLAYBAR receives a DTS signal, it will not process the signal.  If you are not able to connect your PLAYBAR directly to your TV and would like to explore solutions, please click here

If DTS support is crucial for your current set-up, PLAYBAR may not be the right solution for you and we apologize for this inconvenience.  If you are currently a PLAYBAR owner and would like to discuss options, please contact Sonos Customer Care.

We’ll be actively monitoring TV and streaming services capabilities and trends. If our development stance around DTS decoding in PLAYBAR changes, this community will be among the first to know. 

Very very very very very very very poor!
Userlevel 3
Badge

Most tvs don't pass Dolby through the optical either! So a badly designed piece of hardware????
Badge +18

While that is true, a significantly higher number of TVs do pass Dolby through the optical port as compared to DTS.  In either case, the TV or source device converts the signal to stereo PCM, which the PLAYBAR supports.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
This is a very good way to put onus on others (TV) if your product (playbar) is flawed. Very dissapointed!!

This is terrible news... I *just* bought a playbar.... Your argumentation feels like a cover up. Where is the love for customers paying for a premium? Can you confirm that you aren't planning a Playbar 2 which WILL support DTS? Part of the money we pay for expensive Sonos systems is for the service, I really hope you guys change your mind. I seriously feel heart broken as I have loved Sonos products for ages, and now I feel that as easily as you killed DTS, you might stop supporting other services such as Spotify. How can we trust your commitment to your customers if the communication has been so shallow? It surely shouldn't have taken 1 Year to come to this conclusion.... You honestly ruined my night....
Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Why does Sonos not doing what their customers want we pay 2000 euro for a Sonos set! Is it that difficult to give the Sonos Playbar DTS Support?

SONOS just became $ONO$
Userlevel 3
Badge +2

I can't believe it Sonos! Why are you come to this conclusion??? All what we want is DTS support and after almost a year the answer is no? This is so poor Sonos!!!
Userlevel 3
Badge

John can I still return mine even though I have had it for 9 months?