Question

Playbase weight limit

Hello all! I'm currently looking into getting a Sonos 5.1 system but not sure if I should go with the Playbar or the Playbase. I do like the look of the Playbase a lot more as they're available in white and the fact that I don't have to mount it to the wall is a bonus, but my Sony 65 inch TV is listed as 96lb. The listed weight limit on the Playbase is at 77lb. Has anyone ever tried placing a TV that's heavier than 77lb over the Playbase? Thanks!

Si

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I expect the 77 lb limit includes a certain factor of safety so you'd probably be ok. HOWEVER, the Playbase is clearly designed for the current generation of TVs that are much, much lighter than your plasma (presumably) TV.
I would be very reluctant to recommend that you risk invalidating your warranty in such a way. For a start it will be quite difficult to place the TV onto the Playbase without loading it beyond the 96 lb weight of the TV.
I'd Place the Playbase underneath whatever the TV is on and when you replace the TV then you should be ok.
Thanks Stuart! Like you said, I was thinking that Sonos would put a little buffer on the listed weight limit. You're right, I would not risk damaging the Playbase and void my warranty.
Which is why I'd go for the Playbar instead, and just get a minor stand if needed to raise it over the height of the Playbar. I used some IKEA shelves just sitting on the cabinet to do it in my set up.
Thanks for the advise Bruce. Now my next question would be which one would you guys preferred as far as performance goes, Playbar or the Playbase? I've read that the Playbase is redesigned and better for music but I've also read that it might be a bit too bright on the trebles. I did demo both in a local BestBuy but it's hard to judge between the two in such a noisy environment. I'm leaning towards the Playbase a bit more purely based on the look and how it compliments my living room decors. Thanks!

Si
Badge +1
My 60" LG Smart TV was too wide across sit on my play base (width of stand) I instead installed the Play base on a shelf below the TV works and looks great
Badge +1
When purchasing my Play base i spent a lot of time in store comparing the sound quality of the Play base v Sound bar. I felt the sound coming from the Play base was superior to the Sound bar whilst playing music, i also feel that the build quality of the Play base was better. As far as the weight which can be placed on the Play base, i found that it is suited for smaller TV's, with the larger TV's it's more about physical size than weight.
Hard to know, to be honest. I've got 2 Playbars, and have the same issue as you do when in my local Best Buy(s), they're not set up to do any real discriminate listening. But I was extremely happy with my first Playbar when I bought it, and moved on to ecstatic when I added a SUB. Then, of course, I needed to get the same setup in the bedroom for those days I have been sick, fortunately behind me now.

And I'd agree with 1TRUBLU, the size of your TV stand, and the weight of the TV itself may have an impact. But honestly, either way you go, I think you'll be happy. The Playbase probably has a little bit better low end, due to the way it's designed with the extra speaker and passage, but I suspect once you add the SUB, they're pretty much the same, other than visually. And don't forget, you may have a WAF (wife acceptance factor) to deal with. Worth asking her opinion, her ears might be different than yours.
Thanks everyone for your inputs! I've decided on the Playbase and will probably place it on the self right below the TV like 1TRUBLU suggested. And yes, it's wife approved! She loves the clean look of the white Playbase!
Badge +1
Can't go wrong!
So I'm getting a new TV and it's a bit on the heavy side. 75". Probably close to 90 pounds. Seems like it will be way too heavy for the Play Base. I have a nice cabinet for the TV and Play Base to sit on. What are my options if I don't want to mount it on the wall?
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
So I'm getting a new TV and it's a bit on the heavy side. 75". Probably close to 90 pounds. Seems like it will be way too heavy for the Play Base. I have a nice cabinet for the TV and Play Base to sit on. What are my options if I don't want to mount it on the wall?

I would have thought your only option is a substantial TV stand............again your issue is weight capacity.