Playbase: Two EQ settings are necessary: one for Music, one for TV

• 2 February 2019
  • 1 reply

Badge
There's a key issue with the Playbase, which is marketed for both Music and TV: the EQ settings required for music are very different to the EQ settings required for TV; however the Playbase offers only one setting and requires updating by me each time. A device as smart as Sonos should be able to allow two EQ settings which auto-switch depending on what's being played.

Here's more detail:

For Music, my house seeks a warm response with a good amount of bass. To achieve this we set:
- bass at unity
- treble reduced by around 4 notches
- loudness off, true tuning off

For TV we want voice to come through clearly without being drowned by the bass, and without being too harsh. Here’s what we do:
- bass reduced by 4 notches
- treble reduced by 1 notch
- loudness off, true tuning off, speech enhancement off

What is necessary is that the above two EQ settings can be set up:
- One for when the Playbase is receiving audio from the optic fibre (i.e. from the TV)
- One for where the Playbase is receiving music (i.e. Apple Music etc via Playbase, or via Airplay 2)

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
There's a key issue with the Playbase, which is marketed for both Music and TV: the EQ settings required for music are very different to the EQ settings required for TV; however the Playbase offers only one setting and requires updating by me each time. A device as smart as Sonos should be able to allow two EQ settings which auto-switch depending on what's being played.

Here's more detail:

For Music, my house seeks a warm response with a good amount of bass. To achieve this we set:
- bass at unity
- treble reduced by around 4 notches
- loudness off, true tuning off

For TV we want voice to come through clearly without being drowned by the bass, and without being too harsh. Here’s what we do:
- bass reduced by 4 notches
- treble reduced by 1 notch
- loudness off, true tuning off, speech enhancement off

What is necessary is that the above two EQ settings can be set up:
- One for when the Playbase is receiving audio from the optic fibre (i.e. from the TV)
- One for where the Playbase is receiving music (i.e. Apple Music etc via Playbase, or via Airplay 2)

Hi teflon,

While the speech enhancement and night mode options apply only to TV audio, the equalizer doesn't change between sources. I'll send in a feature request to add a separate equalizer setting for TV and music, thanks for the suggestion.