Playbase - Turn off Sony message "TV volume is fixed"

• 24 February 2018
  • 5 replies

Badge +1
Hello,

I have set up my Playbase and it it works great with my Sony TV.
During the setup process the Playbase recognized my remote and everything works as desired with one exception.
When I change the volume with the remote the TV displays a message that the volume is fixed while the Playbase adjusts its volume.

Based on a search of this site, it appears that most people just set the TV volume back to variable to stop the message from being displayed. With this setup, I would guess that when you adjust the volume via the remote that both the TV and the Playbase are changing their respective volumes simultaneously. So, I would like to leave the TV set to fixed but still turn the message off.

I realize this is a not a Sonos problem but wondered if someone had encountered this issue and found a solution that turned the message off via a method other than changing the TV volume to variable.

Your assistance is appreciated.

Chris

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
This bugged the hell out of me.

Have a look at this post Click here for the solution.

I know it's a small thing but having it fixed is great. Just beware that the volume numbers will be out of step and occasionally I need to set the volume to zero to get the number back to reasonable. You'll see what I mean whne you use this for a whils.
Badge
Are u using tv remote or cable box, Directv, etc. If using something other than the tv remote choose a different brand for volume. If it’s a new Sony look around you should be able to find the Sonos volume commands in the Sony remote set up. You’ll need to start the volume set up in the Sonos over.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Vacman, The volume control works fine. It's just that the TV shows volume is fixed. The link I added shows how to remove the message.
Badge
Doesn't that fix mean you have two things controlling the volume. You set the Sonos at a certain level say 50% than control the amount the Sonos is receiving by turning up the line level output volume of the TV with the TV remote. What happens when you you switch over to a music feed thru the app. Are you actually controlling the volume of the Sonos Playbar or just it's output? This could be verified by opening the app and watching the volume slider.
Badge
I apologize to the OP on my first solution, I was remembering what we had to go thru to program the little Samsung remote. I does't look like Sony gives you the option to program any codes into their remote to control and punch thru the volume to any other audio device.

Your best solution if you want to leave it fixed (which it should be) is to get a reasonably priced universal remote. If it doesn't have Sonos codes, Punch Thru the volume from any other audio device codes. Relearn the Sonos those commands and the TV will never respond to a volume command to display the FIXED message. The $28 Harmony should work. Or take it up a notch...