Playbase as computer speakers?

• 30 October 2018
  • 4 replies

Badge +1
Does anyone have experience using playbase as computer speakers? I have a desk that is perfectly sized for one, it's my little office-corner with my MacBook Pro laptop.
Does anyone have experience placing a laptop workstation on top of one? Does it vibrate at all? Does it heat up or suffer much from heat? Is it weird to get the sound from underneath the computer instead of the sides?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

I'd say this is a bad idea.

First off, the playbase isn't a computer speaker. It looks like the MacBook pro has a headphone jack for audio out, not optical. So you would need to get an adapter of sorts to convert to optical, or use airplay for audio all the time. Maybe there's an hdmi output on your laptop?

And yes, I'd be concerned about the heat coming off the laptop damaging the playbase. And I imagine there will be additional wear and tear on the playbase with items placed on it, your hands and mouse, etc.

Vibrations shouldn't be an issue, as the playbase is designed to have TVs on top of it, which obviously shouldn't vibrate.

Maybe most importantly, the playbase is $700, way overpriced if used as computer speakers.
Badge +1
So re: connection my MacBook Pro is from 2013 so it does have optical out. There's also HDMI out and airplay of course even if that weren't the obvious option.

You're right about it being designed for a TV so probably no vibrations; I suppose the bottom of TVs don't heat up as much as a laptop would, but I could then maybe put it on a little stand or something. I have it on one today actually so that could work...

What kind of wear and tear are you thinking of with a mouse/mousepad/etc.? Just like scratches and such or something else I'm not thinking of?

and re: $, well, yes, it's pricey, but I have other uses for it in mind as well 🙂
It's hard to visualize what your desk setup looks like, so I can't predict what kind of wear and tear you'd be exposing it to. If you're using your laptop keyboard, will your wrists/forearms being against the playbase a lot? I don't know.

And your laptop is 5 years old. Will your next laptop have optical output?

And as far as other uses, have you looked at other Sonos products to see if they meet your needs better? I don't know, it's your choice, just doesn't seem like this is a good one to me. Maybe someone has a different/better opinion on it.
Badge +1
Thanks Danny, appreciate your feedback! I guess I was more wondering if someone has done this before as that would help me visualize as well.