Question

Playbase and sub's

• 25 October 2017
  • 15 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1
new convert to Sonos - I have a playbase and two Play Ones set up for home cinema. Slightly disappointed by the bass of the Playbase .. just wondered is the Sub a good and worthwhile addition? .. bearing in mind the £700 it costs!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

15 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +9
Yeah there's really no replacement for a subwoofer to provide the lows.
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
Playbase has good lows but sub takes the experience to whole new level.
Userlevel 7
Badge +16
Sub was an excellent addition to my Playbar, as has been said the only real option for the lows is a subwoofer..
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
thanks guys - time to save some pennies up
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
Paul, I had basically the same experience you did. Playbase was OK, but it didn't wow me. The addition of the Sub was an impressive change. I'd say keep your eyes open for a sale, and get one when you can save 10-15%.
Userlevel 3
Badge +9
Either a sale or a returned, open box item. I essentially got $100 off both my Playbase and Sub going for open box and they're mint condition.
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
Absolutely get the sub. As others have stated, it will completely transform your home cinema experience. I feel that the playbar (or playbase) and Play 1s are good speakers. The sub is a great speaker. It puts out high-quality lows without any distortion. If I am watching a movie in the basement with the system at 1/2 volume, my wife can feel the base two stories up in our master bedroom. Definitely get it!

I too have the Playbase and although the bass is perfect for television, I don't find it to be enough for movies and music.
I purchased the Sanus Playbase stand & it looks super clean with my 41" TV but having second thoughts on whether I should have gone for the Playbar + sub instead.
Bear in mind that I'm married & my wife hates wires & obtrusive electronics. The Playbase looks very nice. Not a huge fan of the silver metal accents on the Playbar's grill but looks like it may offer more separation and be louder for to larger speakers (I think).
The wires to the right were from when I temporarily connected Blu-ray player. Other than that, it's super clean looking. I even have an Amazon echo in the back & a pair of Sony wireless headphones.
Any thoughts?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
surprised in that many have said playbase has pretty good bass.

But - as a playbar owner who got the sub. Sub adds a lot! The Sonos sub is terrific. I tend to move around my house to listening areas. Sometimes paired to playbar sometimes paired to other play speakers in other rooms. It is a very good sub.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
The sub can be hidden about anywhere - its fairly small and I forget mine is even in the room. You can hide it anywhere in the room - it doesn't need to be near TV. Low End sound is not directional so you have no idea the direction its coming from so placement isn't much of a concern.
Chris,
I've seen video where Sonos says that the Playbase doesn't have to work as hard when paired with the sub and allows itself to dedicate it's efforts to covering the higher end of the spectrum, sending the low frequencies to the sub.
I would imagine the Playbar works the same.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Yes the would both be the same. The playbar just design wise gives better low end then the playbars design.

Both of them, when you pair a sub, will then use crossover and send all low end 80hz and below to the sub and not reproduce that via the playbar/playbase speakers - taking that load off them.
Chris,
I haven't looked but does the Playar & Playbase have the same output? I know they have the same number of speakers, each with their own amp but was wondering if the Playbar would be more capable of filling the room with music. Not that I blast it or anything.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Should be fairly much identical. From what I have read (not having a playbase) the playbar gets the nod ever so slightly. I have heard the playbase tends to sound a little more flat frequency response wise. With trueplay tuning that probably is even harder to notice.

From everything I have read you have to be going back and forth A/B to notice much difference in them. I would say get the one that best suites your needs (on table or mounted).
Userlevel 5
Badge +7
surprised in that many have said playbase has pretty good bass.

But - as a playbar owner who got the sub. Sub adds a lot! The Sonos sub is terrific. I tend to move around my house to listening areas. Sometimes paired to playbar sometimes paired to other play speakers in other rooms. It is a very good sub.

Once you add the sub then you'l know the difference - I've owned about 4 or 5 sub woofers now in my lifetime so I can already tell you that there is no substitute for a sub, no speaker system is going to replace a sub, it's as simple as that - it doesn't matter even if you go buy a $5000 standing studio speaker, it won't be able to replace a good sub woofer

As for playbar vs playbase, my understanding is that for home theater the playbar should in theory be better as it's better able to direct sound around the room - especially because it's longer so the separation between left and right channels is larger