Playbar TV audio stops occasionally after I change the cable channel. Works again if I turn TV off and back on.

• 17 February 2015
  • 12 replies

Hello,

My setup:
  • Vizio E500i-A1 HD TV
  • Armstrong Cable PACE RNG200N DVR HD box
  • Playbar, version 5.2
  • (No Connect or Sub. Just two Play:1's in other rooms)
My TV audio is turned off and the Playbar correctly starts up when I turn my TV on and plays audio fine. It also functions correctly as a music player when the TV is off. 

My problem: Occasionally, when changing cable channels, the audio will cut out (when the new channel comes on, it is without sound). The problem is rectified when I turn off the TV and turn it on again. It will then be fine until I change the channel again, when the problem may occur again. I have not been able to notice any pattern - sometimes this happens, sometimes it does not.

Thanks for your help.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Hi Anna, any chance the Playbar fits directly into your cable box? Curious to know if this will still occur then.
Mohammed,
I was able to plug the digital optical audio cable directly into the cable box and will try it like this for a few days to see if the problem happens again.
However, my TV is a smart TV and I often use it as such, without the cable box. So I need to have the Playbar connected through the TV and not the cable box. (I am unwilling to change the cable each time.)
Is there a way to continue to troubleshoot with the original setup?
Thanks.
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Mohammed,
I was able to plug the digital optical audio cable directly into the cable box and will try it like this for a few days to see if the problem happens again.
However, my TV is a smart TV and I often use it as such, without the cable box. So I need to have the Playbar connected through the TV and not the cable box. (I am unwilling to change the cable each time.)
Is there a way to continue to troubleshoot with the original setup?
Thanks.

This is so we can find out whether the problem lies with the television, cable box or Playbar. Let me know when you have tried it out.
OK, the Playbar audio seems to be working just fine when connected directly to the cable box. I don't notice the problem occurring at all currently.
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
OK, the Playbar audio seems to be working just fine when connected directly to the cable box. I don't notice the problem occurring at all currently.

So it sounds like the problem is with the television. I would double-check the audio settings on your TV, if none of the options don't improve the situation it's best to ask the TV manufacturer for more advice.
That's a frustrating response, Mohammed. We don't know that the problem is the television--it could be the way the Sonos is interacting with the TV. Instead of passing the buck to Vizio (who we all know will be less than responsive in helping), can you please stick with the problem and see this through? Thanks for your help.

The settings are properly adjusted on the TV according to my Sonos setup guide.

There is an "Advanced Audio" tab with the following settings:
Digital Audio Out (PCM / Dolby Digital / Off options)
Analog Audio Out (Fixed / Variable)
(Bold indicated currently selected settings).

Is it possible that I need to change these settings?
Thank you.
I'm getting exactly the same problem. I have my playbar and SUB connected to a Samsung HU7250 uhd tv. When I switch channels and it goes from an HD channel to a SD channel the sound disappears. The only way to get it back is to switch on and off TV or unplug optical cable then plug it in !!
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
I'm getting exactly the same problem. I have my playbar and SUB connected to a Samsung HU7250 uhd tv. When I switch channels and it goes from an HD channel to a SD channel the sound disappears. The only way to get it back is to switch on and off TV or unplug optical cable then plug it in !!
Hi Aron, can you reproduce the issue, send a diagnostic report & reply with the confirmation number? Will check how your PLAYBAR is doing.
The number is 4580280.  If i change channels to fast the sounds cuts out till i disconnect then reconnect the optical lead
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
We'll need to take a closer look at your system if you're able to call us? When you do, please quote your reference number: 150527-000487. Make sure you're at your system and preferably at a computer (in case we need to remote assist).
Hi Oct 2017. Setup New 55inch LG smart TV,Foxtel IQ 2 Box, Sonos playbar - HDMI Foxtel to TV, Audio optical TV to Playbar, ethernet to playbar then TV. Foxtel remote set up as Sonos remote. When switching Foxtel channels every other channel presents with no sound until you touch the volume control and that restores sound. If you use the next channel button then you get sound, no sound, sound, no sound etc. The TV is set to optical audio output only. If the TV is set to Internal speakers then sound behaves normally. If the TV is set to internal and optical audio then the internal speakers work all the time, the playbar again only provides sound every other channel (unless you use the volume button). This seems to be a problem with the TV optical output and Sonos playbar connection. It is nothing to do with mute as you can mute and unmute a no sound channel with no effect. I do NOT want to plug the optical cable directly between the Foxtel and Playbar as suggested by other threads. Any assistance greatly received.
Hi - I believe I have tracked the culprit down (thanks to Robert in SONOS tech support) Do not pair your SONOS with a Foxtel remote. Something about the Foxtel remote sends spurious signals to the SONOS playbar. Pair the playbar to the TV remote (which is a little difficult if you have a stupid LG magic remote - see https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4267)