Playbar playing rear speaker sounds

Hey guys,

This isn't normal right? Maybe I screwed up the setup somehow..

I recently brought
2x Play 5
1x Sub
1x Playbar

When testing the speakers
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqVCPE8_ntE)
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ttYSpt8oiw)

Front right plays on playbar
Center plays on playbar
Front left plays on playbar
Rear right plays on playbar + play 5 (although very quiet)
Rear left plays on playbar + play 5 (although very quiet)

Playing via optical out

Surely, this isn't meant to be the case?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
The Play 5s are way too much speaker for the rear channels, 1s are a much better choice so that may be part of your problem.

Do you have the system set to "full" which changes from surround sound to putting the front and rear both into stereo mode. I don't have a surround setup so that is a guess from other posts here.

Are you sure your optical out is providing a 5.1 signal to the PlayBar?

Hopefully someone with a PlayBar will be along with better suggestions soon. 🙂
The Play 5s are way too much speaker for the rear channels, 1s are a much better choice so that may be part of your problem.

Do you have the system set to "full" which changes from surround sound to putting the front and rear both into stereo mode. I don't have a surround setup so that is a guess from other posts here.

Are you sure your optical out is providing a 5.1 signal to the PlayBar?

Hopefully someone with a PlayBar will be along with better suggestions soon. :-)

Yeah.. I had some money to splurge and I listen to alot of music so just went the play 5's
I cant seem to change the Audio output on the TV, was reading forums and it just sends though the type of audio from the content

I'm just not sure the playbar is acting properly.. with spitting audio when I test rears... and the app is kinda poop lets be honest, it has no option in the room settings
The 'full' setting applies only to music not the use for TV surrounds. The foul language used by OP rules me out of trying to help and I hope others will feel the same.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
John, In the video? I skipped that.
John, In the video? I skipped that.No, in the OP's second post.
The 'full' setting applies only to music not the use for TV surrounds. The foul language used by OP rules me out of trying to help and I hope others will feel the same.

Sorry, I didn't realise this is a PG forum.. and the statement is correct.. there is no setting to adjust for a smart system - the gear is good but the app needs some work IMHO, I can't see a single option to adjust the sound bar at all. You are free to disagree but please don't de-rail the topic. Not to mention it was never directed at anyone, not sure why you are triggered
Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Sorry, I didn't realise this is a PG forum.. and the statement is correct.. there is fuck all setting to adjust for a smart system - the gear is good but the app needs some work IMHO, I can't see a single option to adjust the sound bar at all. You are free to disagree but please don't de-rail the topic. Not to mention it was never directed at anyone, not sure why you are triggered

Hi Chopsuey,

Profanity is against our community guidelines, and I've edited your posts to reflect that. We'd like to keep the community welcome and friendly for everyone. You can review the guidelines here.

In regards to your question, the rear channels on TV and movie audio are often on the quiet side. The idea is that the surround audio adds to the audio experience, but does not define it. As John B noted, there is a setting to make the rears play "full" audio when listening to music. I'll send along a feature request to the development team to add some more controls for surround audio levels. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Sorry, I didn't realise this is a PG forum.. and the statement is correct.. there is fuck all setting to adjust for a smart system - the gear is good but the app needs some work IMHO, I can't see a single option to adjust the sound bar at all. You are free to disagree but please don't de-rail the topic. Not to mention it was never directed at anyone, not sure why you are triggered

Hi Chopsuey,

Profanity is against our community guidelines, and I've edited your posts to reflect that. We'd like to keep the community welcome and friendly for everyone. You can review the guidelines here.

In regards to your question, the rear channels on TV and movie audio are often on the quiet side. The idea is that the surround audio adds to the audio experience, but does not define it. As John B noted, there is a setting to make the rears play "full" audio when listening to music. I'll send along a feature request to the development team to add some more controls for surround audio levels. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks Jeff,

The issue is more that the Playbar is being "Audio Heavy"

Due to the playbar also playing Rear audio, for example
In the tests (links above) in each one the playbar would also play the audio for the "rear speaker tests"

My question was more related to whether this is normal, because I would have thought it isn't?

Hi Chopsuey,

Thanks Jeff,

The issue is more that the Playbar is being "Audio Heavy"

Due to the playbar also playing Rear audio, for example
In the tests (links above) in each one the playbar would also play the audio for the "rear speaker tests"

My question was more related to whether this is normal, because I would have thought it isn't?

Turns out its because my 80" Samsung TV will not passthrough 5.1 and only stereo, am going to grab an HDMI switcher with optical out and bypass the TV, which will hopefully fix my issue

Should of called the sonos support in the first place, this forum isn't very active or helpful.
Userlevel 4
Badge +9
I don’t know what you use as a device for Youtube, but most browsers don’t support DD playback so it will always be stereo and what you’re experiencing is to be expected when a stereo signal is being “upmixed” to surround sound. You can check the signal the Playbar is picking up when you go to settings => about my Sonos