Question

Playbar / Play:1 / Sony TV

• 9 November 2020
  • 3 replies

Hi Sonos,

I’m having issues connecting to a previous set up that’s been boxed for around 16 months.

I have a Sony Bravia 55inch 2015. A play bar and 2x play1’s first gen working as the surrounds. I moved house last year and the new home needed extensive renovations so it was best to keep the sonos kit all boxed until the house renovations were complete. 

Today was the big day as most of the house is now complete, tv has gone on the wall, play1’s mounted on the wall behind, sound bar has been installed under the tv again on the wall. I powered up the kit expecting the only thing needing to adjust was Wi-Fi passwords to new network, maybe the odd update of app software and kit firmware then that would be it. That was wishful thinking to say the least. 

When I go into the new Sonos 2 app the sound bar plays music from Spotify, soundcloud etc, but the play1’s have nothing coming out. That’s my first issue!

Second problem, when I go into my TV settings to stop using the build I speakers and to now use the Sonos I have no audio what do ever. Ive gone through every setting on the TV and still no joy. Frustrating thing is I’ve done this before when I moved house about 4 years ago and the resetting up went fine., is it this new Sonos app that’s thrown things out of bonk? 

I’m using an Ethernet to my play bar, optical audio cable to the tv which is again hard wired to my routers network. Only devices over Wi-Fi are the play1’s. 

Please help!! 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

First thing to check…. in the settings for your Playbar, is one where you choose to ‘enable wifi’ or ‘disable wifi’.  Is this set to enabled, as it should be?

Also, do you have TV Autoplay enabled?  If not then I suggest you enable it.

Hi John,

I enabled the Wi-Fi which I actually disabled last night before emailing you. This morning after re enabling the Wi-Fi I have sound from the play 1’s and sound bar simultaneously, but for music only from the app. I still have no sound from the TV and Autoplay is enabled. I also have the red light at the very end of the optical audio lead coming from the back of the TV?? 

As I’ve mentioned the frustrating thing is I know the TV is compatible as everything had worked fine in the past. The only thing I’ve done is update the Sonos app. Was there also a system firmware update that also took place as maybe this could be the problem? I also sent a diagnostics last night if this helps. 

thanks,

greg 

Hi.  This is not the result of an update or app change.  

The diagnostic won’t help me as I am just a fellow Sonos user.  For it to help Sonos you need to contact them with the confirmation number or post it here.

Is the TV audio definitely set to play audio over optical out?

Could you also try selecting TV manually as the source in the Sonos app?