Playbar or Beam - Considerations

• 11 June 2018
  • 2 replies

I know this is just one of 50 posts on this topic to come, but I was all set to buy a playbar to complete my 5.1 when the the announcement of the beam came. I’ve heard it described as a “Bedroom” or “ Small” Room Sound bar. I’m looking at it for my living room.

I just want to make sure I’m considering everything before making a purchase.

Beam: advantages are newer product, smart speaker capabilities, AirPlay 2, and HDMI-ARC; disadvantages are (maybe) sound compared to the Playbar?

Playbar: advantages are sound; disadvantages are form factor; age of product

Am I missing something? As someone whose never owned a sound bar, If I’m not overly concerned with controlling my soundbar with voice or Airplay 2, I guess (1) should I be (haha) or (2) is the Playbar the better option hands down?

I guess the tl:dr question is: Does this come down to sound vs. bells and whistles? And if so, are the bells and whistles enough that I should consider rethinking my original plan to get the Playbar?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +12
I am waiting for a real review because I did not understand yet small/middle sized room what it means in terms of dimensions.
Userlevel 5
Badge +7
I agree - wait for some reviews

On paper the Beam looks like it is designed for bedroom and not really for 5.1 in a lounge, the playbar is for larger spaces as it can project a larger soundstage and push sounds out into the room more - I believe the Beam will be about 50% weaker in power output compared to the Playbar