Playbar Issues

• 29 September 2018
  • 13 replies

Badge +1
My playbar has been dropping my TV audio. This problem happens to me randomly at least twice a week. I have also tried to play Pandora and I get no sound. The speakers grouped with it will play the TV audio. My diagnostic number is 126502693. Please help. I am about to get a center channel for another room and I can’t justify a Sonos if I can’t fix these issues.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hello there, lmackedanz. Thanks for posting and for sharing your diagnostic report number. It seems that you currently have 2 Sonos devices plugged into your eero network. Are these plugged into the main router directly or through a satellite unit? Thanks!
Badge +1
I just checked and I think I only have a bridge and a connect plugged into my network via an Ethernet port.
But what are they plugged in to was his question.
Badge +1
I have a router that is hardwired to an Ethernet port. My bridge and my Connect are both hard wired to that port. The Bridge is just plugged into the wall and the connect is plugged into the wall and also has the TV in my master bedroom as plugged into its input.
OK, I'm going to jump in here before Keith gets here, and hopefully provide some additional clarity.

Keith asked which eero device that you had the Sonos devices plugged in to. Generally speaking, eero has a main hub (sometimes called the "router") and a number of beacons, all of which you can plug things in to. Keith was looking for whether your Sonos devices were plugged in to the main hub, or a beacon.

In most installations, the eero main hub should be plugged in to the wall, where it gets its internet connection from (perhaps a modem of some sort?) . The Sonos BRIDGE *or* the Sonos CONNECT should be wired to the main hub with an ethernet cable. You only need to do one or the other, it's not required to do both, although you can if you so desire.

Whichever device that is wired to your main hub (either the CONNECT or the BRIDGE) would supply a signal to the other one, as well as any other Sonos speakers you have. This is effectively what is known as the Boost setup....one device connected to the router with ethernet cabling, and that device creates a parallel wifi network known as SonosNet to supply music (like Pandora) to the other devices, without being on your own wifi. If, instead, you connect a device to one of the beacons, there's some potential issues involved, which I think Keith might want to help you address.
Badge +1
Ok... My modem is plugged into my Eero hub. The Hub is also plugged into an 8port Ethernet switch in my basement. The house is hardwired with Cat-5 to every room in the house. I have a Bridge and a Connect both plugged into that port and they are both on the main level. I used to have the Bridge in the basement but my TV audio got intermittent and I was told I should move the Bridge because of possible interference. Neither device is connected to a Beacon.
So, the ethernet signal comes in from outside to your Eero hub. From there, it goes to a switch which sends the signal throughout the house. The Sonos BRIDGE and the Sonos CONNECT are then connected to the switch. So, you don't use the beacons at all, which is good. I think the only other thing that you might post for Keith is the make and model of the switch that you have. If it is a managed switch, it *might* be causing potential issues (this is where I get hazy with DHCP/IP addressing issues....)

And, at least as a test I'd still recommend unplugging one of the two devices from the ethernet connection, and see if that helps.

But ultimately, I think Keith will have better information based on the diagnostic, rather than my simple mental exercises.
Badge +1
The switch is a TP-Link Switch (model #TL-SG108). I doubt it would be that because the Playbar has usually worked but it has been inconsistent since I got it in Feb of 2017. The original issues I had was that the playback from the Play Ones grouped with the Playbar would be choppy (words would cut in and out while watching TV). I no longer have that issue, but now the playbar just won't play. The funny thing about this issue is that I will have a week or two with no issues, then one day I turn it on and get nothing. The last time this happened, it just started working again one day. Now it is back to not working.
It has been that way for about 10 days now. My hope is that one day it will start working again but I would REALLY like to have this issue put to bed since I don't want to have to buy a receiver for the sound bar in the new room in our house where we plan to add a soundbar.
Completely understand, we'll need to wait for Keith to come back and tell us what's going on.

The last time I had the experience of my PLAYBAR just stopping working, it turned out that the TV company (Vizio) had pushed out an update that ended up changing my settings from Dolby Digital to something else, without telling me. Not saying that that's what is going on with yours, but it sure wasn't anything I'd done (or expected to have done to me).

Good luck!
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
The switch is a TP-Link Switch (model #TL-SG108). I doubt it would be that because the Playbar has usually worked but it has been inconsistent since I got it in Feb of 2017. The original issues I had was that the playback from the Play Ones grouped with the Playbar would be choppy (words would cut in and out while watching TV). I no longer have that issue, but now the playbar just won't play. The funny thing about this issue is that I will have a week or two with no issues, then one day I turn it on and get nothing. The last time this happened, it just started working again one day. Now it is back to not working.
It has been that way for about 10 days now. My hope is that one day it will start working again but I would REALLY like to have this issue put to bed since I don't want to have to buy a receiver for the sound bar in the new room in our house where we plan to add a soundbar.

Hi there,

Can you submit a diagnostic report and reply with the confirmation number while the Playbar is not playing audio but should be?
Badge +1
Jeff - Here is one from Tuesday 546149192. I can also complete another one tonight if you need me to.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Jeff - Here is one from Tuesday 546149192. I can also complete another one tonight if you need me to.

Thanks for the report. The Playbar is reporting a stereo signal coming from the optical connection, and that the volume is at a reasonable level. I don't see any errors in the report which would explain why there is no audio. Have you tried multiple channels? Does the Playbar play music from sources other than your TV?

It would probably be best to work with our phone team on this one. You can find our phone number and hours here.
Badge +1
I have tried to play music, via Pandora but gotten nothing. I have tried multiple channels and TV sources.

Ok... I will call.