Playbar has no sound with Sharp Aquos tv

• 11 August 2017
  • 11 replies

I hooked my Playbar to my Sharp Aquos tv with the optical cable. Directly to each other. I have my Comcast cable box connected to my tv with an HDMI cable. I shut off my TV speakers. No sound! I can play music with no issue, just not TV. I then tested my Playbar on my Vista TV with the same setup. It immediately played the sound of the TV. Please help! I have the total Home Theater setup and I want to use it. Thank you in advance for your help!!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

It sounds like you need to go in to the settings on your new Aquos TV and turn on the optical output. There should be something in the manual that Sharp provided about how to do that.
I believe it's on. The red light shines through the cable. I will check settings to see if there are options. I haven't seen any. Ty for your reply.
Well, that's a good sign, the red light. I'd be looking at the Audio options, to see what kind of signal it is sending through, then. Make sure it's not DTS, for example. Needs to be Dolby Digital or Stereo (PCM).
It's set to Dolby and I also just tried PCM. Still no sound for TV. Ugh?
Is this an old or new TV?. I have a vague recollection of older Sharp TVs being unable to pass audio from HDMI sources out over optical. Can you play sound from OTA channels through the Playbar? What if you run optical from Comcast box instead of from TV?
Thank you both for your advice. I went and got a Comcast box with an optical port and plugged the Sonos optical cable into the Comcast box as opposed to my Tv. It's working!! Total theater sound with Sub, Playbar and Surround sound speakers. Big smile on my face! Thank you!!
Userlevel 4
Badge +4
I've got an 80" Sharp Aquos (LC-80LE757U) and I'm still trying to decide whether to pull the trigger on the Playbar, Sub, Play 1's, and stick myself with the ancient 5.1 setup. Looks like I may run into the same problem by not having my optical cable come from my Dish Hopper 3 receiver. By using the optical cable from the Hopper to the Playbar, I'm taking my BluRay player out of the 5.1 equation. Damn, I wish Sonos would finally update their home theater options with something new that would at least support 7.1 & DTS with more than just an optical cable connection that can't handle larger bitrates!
Userlevel 3
Badge +9
I've got an 80" Sharp Aquos (LC-80LE757U) and I'm still trying to decide whether to pull the trigger on the Playbar, Sub, Play 1's, and stick myself with the ancient 5.1 setup. Looks like I may run into the same problem by not having my optical cable come from my Dish Hopper 3 receiver. By using the optical cable from the Hopper to the Playbar, I'm taking my BluRay player out of the 5.1 equation. Damn, I wish Sonos would finally update their home theater options with something new that would at least support 7.1 & DTS with more than just an optical cable connection that can't handle larger bitrates!

You could always get an HDMI switch that extracts the audio via optical. That way you can run your HDMI devices into it and have the audio go straight to Sonos. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005E2XLI2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Userlevel 4
Badge +4
Thanks for the reply, nifoxke! Man, that's the LAST thing I want to do is set another gadget up next to the TV that has to be plugged in, and expect the Mrs. to be able to know how to use it! I've decided to spend my hard-earned money on newer technology, as Sonos is only falling further and further behind by not offering a better home theater option for potential customers.
Userlevel 3
Badge +9
I understand the wife approval/usage factor. Thank god for Harmony as it controls all my devices and switches without issue for the wife.
Userlevel 4
Badge +4
Yeah, I've got a Harmony remote, also! Without that thing, I'd have lost my sanity a LONG time ago! 😃