Answered

Play 1 surround speakers do not play sound

Badge
Hi all, new in this community.
I own playbase and 2x play 1`s to sound TV and Spotify music for about 1 year. Great experience indeed.
Recently I experienced issue with the surround play 1 (both) they got disconnected and cannot be hooked back on after reboot. I though it could be my wifi router since this was about 4 years old. So I purchased dual one and kept 2,4 Ghz on for Sonos. However it did not solved my problem so I reset all speakers and install them as a new sound system. Got playbase wired with TV cable (cox?) and ethernet directly to the wifi router. Satellites are properly paired and added to the group. So far so good, now the tricky part. The play 1`s do not play sound (tv, iphone library ....) but I can operate the buttons as before and control sound on playbase as this is the only speaker from the group what works just fine.
Any idea how to troubleshoot? In setting I do not see any ? marks next to the room name.
thanks a lot for any help.
icon

Best answer by Tom Hrbek 28 April 2019, 23:01

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Do you see +LS +RS instead of the question marks?

If you go in to settings, and select "About My Sonos System" while you're playing something that should have surround signal, what's on the line under the PLAYBASE that says "Audio In:"?

If you're playing music, and not just TV sound, since you've re-added them to the group, you'd probably have to go back into the advanced settings to set them up as "Full" rather than "Ambient", but I'm not 100% sure....
Badge
Hi Bruce, thanks for quick answer.
Yes, I can see +LS +RS - no question marks at all.

Please see below on the pic what I see when I go to About My Sonos System.

And NO, when I swap from ambient to full it does not fix the problem.

thank you T
First thing, charge that phone :)

That attachment seems to show that you're not playing anything on the PLAYBASE, at least from the TV, so it's not really providing me any useful information. You need to be watching something that you think the surround speakers should be playing something on for that data to be useful.

What I can tell is it appears that you set them up as surrounds properly, and they're "bonded" to your PLAYBASE, so that's a good thing.
And if you're playing music, and you've got them set as "Full" rather than "Ambient", you may want to 1) check the volume you have set in the room settings and 2) try a simple power cycle of each of the speakers. Don't "reset" or "reconnect" them, just unplug them from power for a minute, then plug them back in.
Tom Hrbek,

Oddly the surrounds appear to be attached to a 2.4ghz WiFi connection and the PlayBase is running on SonosNet ??

I would power off router and any extenders/repeaters, power off all speakers. Bring them back online in this order...

Router
PlayBase
Left Surround
Right Surround

Check the “about my Sonos System” box in the App and ensure you see WM:0 next to all speakers.

Then test things again.
edit: I took too long writing this, Ken beat me to it 🙂 However, see below, I suspect you skipped a step when you wired the Playbase.

Something seems to be wrong based on your system info.
Your surrounds are showing WM: 1, which means a connection to your local Wifi, where they should be showing WM:0 (SonosNET). The WM:2 for surrounds, if I'm not mistaken, only applies if the rest of the setup is WM:1, at least, my surrounds and Sub all show as WM:0.

It looks like when you wired your Playbase, you did not delete your Wifi credentials from the Sonos system, and your Play 1s somehow became convinced they should connect to your Wifi instead of to the Playbase by 5 Ghz, like they should.

In your app, go to More > Settings > Advanced Settings > Wireless Setup. On the Wireless Setup screen, click the button that says "Reset". Then click "Done" on the next screen. Then reboot your surrounds. Then check the "about my Sonos system" again. All should show WM:0.

---
First thing, charge that phone :)
I will never understand how people can happily keep using a device at those battery percentages without a care in the world 😛
Tom Hrbek,

Yes, that’s a good point by Sjoop1985, ? ...you don’t need to hang onto the WiFi credentials when running on SonosNet, so ensure you remove/reset those in “Advanced Setup/Wireless Setup” section of the App.
Badge
Bruce, something is wrong with the TV vs. Sonos - it distribute sound stereo only.
Pls see attached pic taken when TV is on.

No improvement after rebooting entire system.

I tried in Advanced setting / wireless setup and I am keep getting failure message.

Thanks guys, I will try all you described above tomorrow.
Dear god 6 %! It hurts me! :)

OK, in addition to all of the things that others have mentioned, you're going to need to look at the audio settings on both your TV, and whatever you're driving your TV with, to make sure that both of them are set up to send a Dolby Digital signal. Not sure if you're using an antenna, or cable box, or whatever, but both devices, the TV and it need to be sure to be set to send a Dolby Digital signal.
Badge
thank you all again, I did resolved my problem by installing another playbase (luckily I have two), however neither of one of them was able to connect my wifi so I kept playbase on LAN and surrounds on wifi. It works together.