Answered

Play 1 and one SL as surrounds

• 8 October 2019
  • 13 replies

I presume the answer is no, but can I combine my existing Play 1 (the old entry level speaker) with a One SL (the new entry level speaker) to set up surround speakers with a Sonos beam / playbar / or playbase?
icon

Best answer by AjTrek1 8 October 2019, 14:02

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi cooy65

You are correct the answer is "No". You can only use Sonos speakers that are alike.
  • Play 1 w/Play 1 (discontinued)
  • Play 5 gen2 w/Play 5 gen2
  • Sonos One w/Sonos One
  • Sonos One w/Sonos One SL
  • Play 3 w/Play 3 (discontinued)
Cheers!
Thanks- much appreciated

Hi - can you use a One and a One SL as surrounds ?

A company has sent me an SL by mistake, but before sending it back I want to know if it’s possible or not.

Many thanks,

A company has sent me an SL by mistake, but before sending it back I want to know if it’s possible or not.

Many thanks,

Yes, you can use a One and One SL as surrounds.

Userlevel 7

Hi nburgess99

Asking the question about the Sonos One vs the Sonos One SL is fine. Just FYI, if you ordered a Sonos One and received the Sonos One SL instead you paid for features you won’t get with the Sonos One SL such as Alexa/Google voice. 

Cheers!

This seems ridiculous- why should we assume this isn’t possible? 

I purchased a Beam and One SL fully expecting to be able to use my old Play:1 as a pair with the new One. Is there a plan to fix this via software push or is Sonos’ stance “buy another One SL”?? 

Incredibly frustrating experience for $800+. 

Userlevel 7

It’s unfortunate that you feel duped. To first answer your question as far as I know ( not being privy to Sonos future plans) there is no patch or anything planned to make the Sonos One or SL compatible with the discontinued Play:1 as you would like.

Did you research the compatibility prospectus as you would like before you bought or did a sales person mislead you?  

All said the only recourse is to try and find a used Play:1 or left over inventory ( maybe on eBay) or purchase another SL. 

Best wishes to garner a satisfactory solution.

Appreciate the feedback- I’m digging around on eBay now but given the price point of the old Play:1 it looks like my best option is to buy (another) new One SL.

A salesperson at Best Buy said this configuration would work but I ended up buying it online. Honestly I should have done some digging but I still see this as an artificial incompatibility. 

At least the community works well!

Thanks,

Dylan 

Userlevel 7

Hi again

Good to know that you haven’t given up on Sonos. If it’s any consolation please know that the Sonos One (gen2) and the SL both have increased memory for future upgrades.

The Play:1 could not be adjusted in any manner to move forward with any innovations that Sonos may have in development. It (the Play:1) had reached the end of its growth cycle.

That said all electronics that depend upon memory in order to accept updates will suffer the same fate as the Play:1 at some point during their life cycle. Fortunately, Sonos is building products for the long haul to keep current models in play for quite some time to come.  

I’m hoping to see an improved Playbar before I die. Ah’la the likes of the Beam. Are you listening Sonos🤔 

Many thanks,

Yes, you can use a One and One SL as surrounds.

Thanks jgatie!

Hi nburgess99

Asking the question about the Sonos One vs the Sonos One SL is fine. Just FYI, if you ordered a Sonos One and received the Sonos One SL instead you paid for features you won’t get with the Sonos One SL such as Alexa/Google voice. 

Cheers!

AjTrek1 - Yes, I’ve got in touch with the seller (relatively well known electrical goods seller on ebay) as their advert was misleading in my eyes. The item/main title was clearly stated as Sonos One Gen 2 - no mention of it being an SL. It’s only when you look at the description you see one small mention of it being an SL. Now, some might argue that I should’ve seen this - but I think it was misleading - why leave off the ‘SL’ reference on all the titles and main descriptions.

Anyways, as it is, the speaker works fine, so it may not be a problem, all the while I keep the speaker as part of a surround setup. However, if I decide to move the speakers about at a later date, I’ll be struggling with the lack of features. Something I’d be happy with if I knew upfront and paid for accordingly. 

Oh the joys of ebay..

Userlevel 7

@Dylan Anderson @nburgess99 

Hope you see this in time to act. The Sonos One and Sonos One SL are both on sale via the Sonos website until 12/29/19. 

Cheers!

Userlevel 7

@nburgess99 

I agree that the main title on the eBay sellers item should have reflected that it was the Sonos One SL being sold. Having to did around in the item description to find out that it was an SL is IMO unethical. That borders along the lines of “bait n’ switch” tactics of selling. 

I would rate the seller as “Unsatisfactory” explaining why. I’d also submit a complaint via eBay “Buyer Protection” just to see how they view the seller’s behavior. 

Complaining may not always get the results you hope for; but it does draw unwanted attention (for eBay and the seller) regarding questionable tactics. I’ve found that reporting entities to the Better Business Bureau (here in the U.S.) often results in capitulation by the offending entity. Heck...I’ve gone up against Apple and Home Depot via the BBB and Won!

I’ll get off my soap box for now :sweat_smile: . Have a great holiday season!

Cheers!