Question

panasonic blueray player

• 12 January 2018
  • 5 replies

Badge +2
My DMP-UB400E panasonic blue ray player is switching DTS-HD TO DTS which the sonos playbar wont play,
so i am just getting stereo, when playing a ultra hd blueray disc. is there a work around this issue.
Photo of my blueray sound settings below.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +6
Looking at the user manual I wonder if the soundtrack or audio channel options will allow you to select another format on the blue ray that decodes down to dolby digital.

also I noticed on a review of another brand of player that having bd-video option set to off gave them the ability to get dolby digital decoding so that looks different going by how that menu reads.

I'm not familiar with this stuff so just some thoughts.
Badge +2
i found that when i used the top menu on the disc/ then audio and then select dolby atmos,
then i looked in the sonos app / audio in it said dolby 5.1. i put that question to a hi-fi dealer i use
and he said that i might not be getting dolby 5.1 ,
and thers no support for dolby atmos on my blueray player ?
Userlevel 4
Badge +6
wikipedia says the home theater implementations of atmos is added to dolby truehd or digital plus, ie i guess not a separate format to them, so it may be getting decoded down to regular dolby digital as sonos says.

does it sound like surround?

edit I mean when you select atmos in the menu it sounds like you are actually selecting either a truehd or digital plus format according to wikipedia.
Userlevel 4
Badge +6
here is the link to the wikipedia article on atmos.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolby_Atmos

and the relevant section.

Because of limited bandwidth and lack of processing power, Atmos in home theaters is not rendered the same way as in cinemas. A spatially-coded substream is added to Dolby TrueHD or Dolby Digital Plus. This substream represents an efficient representation of the full, original object-based mix. This is not a matrix-encoded channel, but a spatially-encoded digital signal with panning metadata. Atmos in home theaters can support 24.1.10 channels,[24] and uses the spatially-encoded object audio substream to mix the audio presentation to match the installed speaker configuration.
Userlevel 4
Badge +6
I got curious today and had a look at 4K blue rays online most of the stuff I am interested in comes with either DD 5.1 or atmos so I think this player maybe ok for me.

Some don't mention and one, The Martian, says DTS-HD so that wouldn't give me surround from what your screenshot is saying.

Too bad Sonos haven't included support for DTS, then wouldn't be an issue at all for this player.