Question

Output is in Stereo only not 5.1

• 10 January 2020
  • 3 replies

Badge +1
  • Avid Contributor I
  • 7 replies

Hi All

I have a SONOS BEAM coupled to a thousand pounds worth of new Sony TV…!

Its linked via HDMI through the ARK Port but the app only shows the output as Stereo..

I've tried different channels and running a 1080p \ 5.1 Film through Netflix but its no different.

Does anyone have any ideas as im flat out of any been fiddling with it all day to no avail.

Cheers

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7

Hi PK101

Well...it’s not the Beam (I’d be very surprised if it were). I have an LG OLED that sends DD5.1 on programing and/or movies that support it (none of my sources are OTA).

I don’t use Netflix but it could be that although the programing shows DD5.1 NetFlix may only be sending stereo. This can vary so I’ve heard based upon subscription and/or content.

The other area to check is the Sony audio menu. Make sure it’s set to pass DD5.1 over HDMI. You might also try unplugging the Sony for 30 seconds to force a fresh connection to the Beam. You can also contact Sony to see what they have to say.

If you are still not convinced then I suggest you submit a diagnostic, post the reference ID in this forum and call Sonos Tech Support or contact them via Twitter or Facebook.

Cheers!

Badge +1

Ha looks like I managed to get it at least for the moment…!

Now seeing Dolby Digital 2.0

There was no specific setting for “Dolby” but it seems disabling something called “System Sounds” resolves.

Config is now (In Sony land)

A\V Sync: ON [To fix the Lip synch issue]

System Sounds (?) OFF

Digital Audio Out: Auto 1. Output Compressed Audio without Change 

Settings seem somewhat confusing and really not well labelled !! It looks like the BEAM software picks up changes without the need for a re-boot.

Thanks soo much for four help I guess because its such an odd name id never tweaked System Sounds and just left it alone..

Paul

Dolby Digital 2.0 is only stereo, as well. You need to keep messing with those settings in both the TV and the devices feeding the TV until you see Dolby Digital 5.1

It can be just the show you’re watching, there are a lot of them that still are broadcast in Dolby Digital 2.0 or just plain stereo. Make sure you’re watching a recent movie, on a movie channel, when you’re adjusting those settings.