Question

Options for Sonos 5.1 with TV and Projector

• 29 October 2020
  • 4 replies

Badge +1

Hi

I recently purchased a Sonos 5.1 set up (Arc, Play 1, Sub ) with the intention of using it primarily for streaming content (I accepted that I wouldn’t get Dolby Atmos as my TV doesn’t have eARC). However what I didn’t realise (until browsing this lovely forum) is that Sonos doesn’t process DTS, so I am limited to Stereo from my Panny 4K Blu Ray). Given I also have a projector in the same room is there an option to add a “unit” (e.g. a basic A/V receiver) to act as a “hub” so that I can have my cake and eat it (i.e. blu ray ->A/V (process DTS to DD)→ TV->Arc and also blu ray ->Projector (video) and also (somehow) to Arc)

Or should I just give up and buy an xbox one x and forget about the projector (or give up altogether on Sonos (or something else altogether.. I am keen to listen to any options!)

Thanks

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @User77023, thanks for reaching out to the Sonos Community and the details of your concern. I’d be happy to help you here. 

First, what type of connection will you use with your Arc? Most Dolby Atmos audio can be played through HDMI-ARC using the Dolby Digital Plus codec. HDMI-eARC is required to play lossless Dolby Atmos audio using the Dolby TrueHD codec. Below are the formats you’ll get based on the type connection you’re using.

About Blu-ray discs, yes it commonly use the DTS audio format which is not supported by Sonos. Some Blu-ray players and game consoles have the ability to transcode DTS into Dolby Digital 5.1, which Sonos supports. Consult your Blu-ray player’s manual or manufacturer for specific instructions and settings. Based on what you provided I can say that you can you try that and should work as long as the Sonos Arc is connected directly to the TV or your preferred source.

We can also wait to other’s opinion about your case. We and the community are always here to help.

Badge +1

I currently have set up the Sonos Arc using hdmi arc. Currently on Netflix and Disney (in the UK) I believe we are only getting 5.1 as that's what it says on the apps on my Sony ag9. I've also tried you tube so called "test atmos" videos but am only getting stereo. My blu ray player does not have the ability to transcode so I am stuck with stereo on that. Not sure about whether my ps4 pro can (haven't found a forum which tells me it transcode). Aside from buying an xbox or a new blu ray player do i have a choice? 

Badge +1

I currently have set up the Sonos Arc using hdmi arc. Currently on Netflix and Disney (in the UK) I believe we are only getting 5.1 as that's what it says on the apps on my Sony ag9. I've also tried you tube so called "test atmos" videos but am only getting stereo. My blu ray player does not have the ability to transcode so I am stuck with stereo on that. Not sure about whether my ps4 pro can (haven't found a forum which tells me it transcode). Aside from buying an xbox or a new blu ray player do i have a choice? 

Apologies just checked and even though the Disney plus app itself says 5.1, on the Sonos app it says Dolby Digital Plus 5.1. Per your table does that mean I am getting lossy Dolby Atmos now? 

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @User77023, thanks for the update. Yes, if that’s what you see in the app that means that’s what you’re getting with the Sonos Arc. It’s always based on your content, source so you may want to try your PS4 if it will work as well. 

Just let us know. We and the community are always here to help.