Answered

One surround speaker started stuttering with Atmos

• 25 April 2022
  • 2 replies

Hello. I have a beam 2nd gen, sub 1, a pair of play 3s. It has been working fine until I noticed stuttering on just one of the play 3s. Regular music seems fine. I tried reboots, unplugging tv cables, arc. The fact that it used to work this morning and doesn't makes me worry it is an issue with the unit itself? I tried different output modes on the tv.  Had the issue with auto and direct. Dolby and dolby plus didn't seem to output through my surrounds properly so couldn't hear stutter. Everything is hard wired. Seems like the recommendations are to reboot routers and factory reset? But why just an issue with one speaker and not the others? Also if it is just atmos but music seems fine, maybe software? 

icon

Best answer by Purplegold 25 April 2022, 20:22

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Purplegold 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

First of all, the recommendation is never to factory reset - this rarely fixed anything, erases any information there was about the issue, and just produces more work (and frustration) for you. Please don’t reset anything.

TV audio doesn’t have time to be buffered for playback in the same way that music playback does, and is therefore more susceptible to transmission issues, so my initial thought is that it’s something environmental - some source of interference near the affected speaker, for example. A source of interference near the Beam could also be the cause - if the affected rear speaker is significantly further away from the Beam from the unaffected rear speaker. A bothersome, but sure-fire way to test this is to physically swap the two Play:3s with each other - if the issue sticks with the location, then I’m likely correct.

Another way is for me to just look at a diagnostic for you - please submit a support diagnostic, reply here with the number given, and I’ll take a look.

Hi. I rebooted all of my routers and wifi last night and it is working perfectly again. Okay, if it happens again I will move the unit around if a wifi/router reboot does not help that one unit. 

This site  is a great resource, thank you.