Answered

No sound in back speakers when playing stereo source

• 26 December 2018
  • 11 replies

Playbase +LS+RS (Play:1)
There is only a quiet hissing-sound from back speakers when the source is stereo, works fine when source is 5.1.

Every other reputable surround system will provide some sounds to the back speakers (same stereo as front) when this happens, but Sonos will not (unless playing music).

Is there a way to fix this in settings? Kinda sucks not to have any sound in back channels when only providing stereo, a copy of front stereo with a volume setting would do a lot.
icon

Best answer by Chris 26 December 2018, 22:44

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Set your rears to Full mode in the Sonos settings > room settings > your device > Advanced Audio > Surround Settings

Music Playback needs to be set to "Full"
Not music. TV with only stereo....
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Sonos when watching TV sound that is stereo is pretty much going to always be like old Dolby Prologic where it may throw just a little to the rears but not really noticeable.
Basically, the tv-settings need a ”ambient when not provided a 5.1source”-setting...
It throws NOTHING at back speakers. Old dolby pro logic would be GOLD!
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Well - it is ambient - it needs a FULL when not provided 5.1 source. It has been asked for and discussed before but it appears must be hardware related …. if you go back years ago we didn't have the FULL mode. But when they added it, it was only for music. And they have never given hint at being able to do it for the digital in … so there must be a limitation there making it impossible for them to do (or do easily I guess).
Wow, that really sucks.. Sonos happily takes your money but then just don’t give you a corresponding experience..
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
It does sound great with music in FULL
The last thing I would want when the video is in front of me is a lot of sound behind me. The idea that that is what a 'reputable' surround system would provide is complete nonsense.
Well, most reputable producers of recievers give you the option, that way you can decide if it is something you want, thats the thing that makes them reputable, they give you the option...
The idea that not having a particular option makes Sonos not 'reputable' and makes the whole package poor value for money is still unreasonable..

You are of course entitled to ask for this feature. I just don't think its absence justifies your conclusions