No sound coming from Sonos Beam when playing a blue ray disc.

• 5 October 2018
  • 8 replies

Recent purchase of a LG 55 OLED. Connected a SONOS Beam via HDMI ARC. Works fine except for some lip syncing but that is another story. I then connected a SONY X700 via another HDMI Out 1 port (Video/Audio) . When I play the DVD, the initial preview and other preliminary features work fine and the sound comes out of the SONOS Beam. When I play the movie, there is no sound output coming from the SONOS Beam. I would think it would just work, but obviously not. I must be missing something in the settings. I would hope someone can give me an idea of how this should be setup so I can hear the sound when playing the DVD.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi

Please see the Article below:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3339?language=en_US

I suspect the BD disc player is outputting an Audio Format not supported by the Beam.
I did see that article. The BlueRay disc in question has 3 audio sources. DTS, Dolby Digital 2.0 and Dolby Digital 5.1. Shouldn't it be able to play sound from one of those sources?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Dolby Digital 2.0 should work, the other thing to try is to change the Digital Audio Output in the Audio Settings of the BD player. Downmix set to Stereo may work.
It's been a while since I played a disc, but as I recall, I had to set the audio track that I wanted to play in the audio settings for the disc, it wouldn't choose the correct one for me.
In the audio selection of the particular Blue Ray DVD, the only option is DTS X, so I assume the Dolby is for the trailer and other stuff on the disc. I did try my old LG DVD player and it played the movie with sound through the SONOS. I assume there must be some conversion in the LG DVD player. I guess I will stick with the old DVD player as I like the Sonos Beam even with its limits. I guess the only other option is another sound bar that supports DTS X.
There's a pretty extensive thread in the home theater section about bluray players that will convert DTS to Dolby Digital. I'm not familiar with any soundbars at this point that handle DTS X, but then again, I've not been looking.

At least you understand what's going on now. Best of luck!
I did find a solution after talking to a person at Best Buy. On the LG OLED, I changed the audio output HDMI ARC to PCM and I was able to get audio from the Sonos.
Userlevel 3
Badge
I'm not familiar with any soundbars at this point that handle DTS X, but then again, I've not been looking. Most of the Atmos soundbars also support DTS:X. If you count Vizio using DTS Virtual:X then there are many soundbars that support the latest formats from Dolby and DTS. Still disappointed Sonos wont pay to license DTS.

Yamaha has 2 soundbars supporting DTS:X, Sony has 2, Samsung has 2, Vizio sells 3 and I believe LG’s latest lineup of Atmos soundbars all support DTS:X. I know their flagship model supports DTS:X but I also think the lower end Atmos models support DTS:X too.