Answered

No HDMI ARC on TV

• 17 July 2018
  • 6 replies

I just purchased a Beam (I haven't picked it up yet), but I realized that I don't have an HDMI ARC on my TV. I do have an optical out on my Toshiba. But I have read that I won't be able to control the volume of the TV through the Beam because I don't have ARC. Is there an adapter I can purchase to get that functionality?
icon

Best answer by melvimbe 17 July 2018, 16:37

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Actually, you'll want to turn off the speakers on your tv and just use your beam for volume. You should be able to still setup your tv remote so that it can control the volume of the beam. You'll also be able to control the volume of the beam through voice control and with the Sonos app.

What you will not be able to do without ARC is to turn on/off the tv by voice.
Aaaaaah, thank you!
Thank you for your reply, Danny. I am looking in to the same topic.

So does that mean there are no possible converters / work arounds for turning on/off the tv by voice if your TV doesn't have HDMI-ARC but only Optical?
That's correct.

I'd suggest there's no need to post effectively the same question in multiple threads.
Thanks for your reply, Bruce, and duly noted. I just noticed that the threads were 5/6 months old so was unsure whether there would be a response, but thank you for yours 🙂
The Sonos folks read every thread, so if you post once, it will get read. Many of the "regulars" here do the same.