Answered

No DTS audio on new 4K player?

• 14 September 2022
  • 8 replies

Just Bought a Sony UBP-X700 4K player (multiregion) and having some problems with audio. 

Here's the rest of my set-up: 

LG C9

Beam (Gen 1)

2 x Play:1

Sub (Gen 1?)

The 4K disk I've been testing with is Interstellar (although I have tried others).

When the audio settings for the player is set as follows:

Digital Audio Output: Auto

BD Secondary Audio: On

...the Sonos app reports that the Beam 'Audio In' is Stereo PCM 2.0 when I play the disk on the default audio setting (English DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1ch 48KHz).

However..

When I set the following on the player:

Digital Audio Output: Auto

BD Secondary Audio: Off

...and play the disk on the same default setting, there is no audio and the Sonos app reports 'Audio In' as Silence. When I switch the audio setting on the disk to the next one: English Dolby Digital 5.1 ch 48KHz I get audio but unfortunately there's Audio Description bundled as part of the main soundtrack (the Sonos app reports' Audio In' as Dolby Digital 5.1).

Is there a problem with my TV, player or my Sonos set-up or is there something I'm missing? I've read that Sonos now supports DTS so I'm confused as to what is going on.

(I’ve been considering buying an Arc to replace the Beam but am scared of paying all that money just to get stereo!)

icon

Best answer by WonkeyDonkey 15 September 2022, 09:59

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

I don't think that the lg c9 has the ability to pass through dts you can check by doing a google search

I have the C9 and just to add it will pass-through DTS audio and you will see too that it is confirmed here at rtings.com (link below). So this isn’t going to be the ability of the TV itself - something else is amiss here.

Are you using DTS 5.1, rather than any other audio format, like DTS-HD/DTS-X ? As the latter two codecs are not supported by any Sonos HT product.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/c9-oled

I think many users here tend to opt for using multichannel LPCM (uncompressed lossless) codec with their Blu-Ray Players, that’s if the TV has an HDMI-eARC connection - so maybe try that codec instead.

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

I have the C9 and just to add it will pass-through DTS audio and you will see too that it is confirmed here at rtings.com (link below). So this isn’t going to be the ability of the TV itself - something else is amiss here.

Are you using DTS 5.1, rather than any other audio format, like DTS-HD/DTS-X ? As the latter two codecs are not supported by any Sonos HT product.

My lgb8 passes dts-hd and x as dts 5.1 with no problem I use a Panasonic ub820 player tho not sure if this makes a difference 

My lgb8 passes dts-hd and x as dts 5.1 with no problem I use a Panasonic ub820 player tho not sure if this makes a difference 

👍 .. all the Sonos HT products will not play either DTS HQ/X - they just support DTS 5.1 (compressed) only at this moment in time and many have requested Sonos to support those codecs. So the fallback for them is PCM stereo. A workaround though is to switch the output to multichannel LPCM (uncompressed lossless), which the Sonos Arc/Beam2 will support - it needs an HDMI-eARC connection to the Sonos product, which I perhaps should have just clarified a little better.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

I believe all DTS-HD also carry the ‘base' DTS 5.1 audio too.

Just wanted to say thanks for all of the replies. I managed to get this working so thought I’d post in case anyone else has issues in the future. Changing ‘Digital Sound Out’ on the TV from   Auto to Pass Through fixed the issue. (No doubt obvious to most on here!) 

I have the LG B9 with a first generation Beam using an Oppo 103D blu-ray player. DTS 5.1 works fine. I checked my settings and it’s also set to “pass through” on Digital Sound Out.