New Construction 5.1 system with Sonos

• 18 August 2021
  • 8 replies

I’m about to wire my new build and need some direction on how a few things. I plan to install  a surround sound setup for my tv (5 speakers), plus I’d like the ability to play music through those same speakers via the Sonos app. How can I make this work?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 7

Sonos offers a few different home theater options. The two most popular options are the Sonos Arc and Sonos Beam sound bars. These sound bars can work alone, but you also have the option to add a Sonos Sub (or two Subs) and two surround speakers to complete the 5.1 (Beam) or 5.1.2 (Arc) setup. You can play both TV audio and music through these speakers.

Read more here:
https://www.sonos.com/en-us/products/wireless-home-theater

Thanks for the feedback. I should of mentioned I am trying not to use a sound bar for ascetic reasons. I am using the Samsung Frame tv and want the clean look around the tv.

Userlevel 7

If you don’t want to use a sound bar, your only Sonos option is two Sonos Amps and four wired, passive speakers. One Amp will power a set of in-wall (recommended) or in-ceiling speakers for the front left and front right channels. The other Amp will power a set of in-wall or in-ceiling speakers for the rear left and rear right surround channels. Then you have the option to add the Sonos Sub (or two Subs) to complete the 4.1 (or 4.2) setup.

NOTE: There is no center channel speaker in this setup. There is only a phantom center channel produced by the front two speakers. Also, this setup is limited to Dolby Digital audio. It does not support Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, or Dolby Atmos audio. Also, Sonos products don’t support any DTS audio codecs.

For the four wired speakers, you can use the Sonos Architectural by Sonance speakers or any other third party in-wall or in-ceiling speakers.
https://www.sonos.com/en-us/shop/architectural

If you don’t want to use a sound bar, your only Sonos option is two Sonos Amps and four wired, passive speakers. One Amp will power a set of in-wall (recommended) or in-ceiling speakers for the front left and front right channels. The other Amp will power a set of in-wall or in-ceiling speakers for the rear left and rear right surround channels. Then you have the option to add the Sonos Sub (or two Subs) to complete the 4.1 (or 4.2) setup.

NOTE: There is no center channel speaker in this setup. There is only a phantom center channel produced by the front two speakers. Also, this setup is limited to Dolby Digital audio. It does not support Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, or Dolby Atmos audio. Also, Sonos products don’t support any DTS audio codecs.

For the four wired speakers, you can use the Sonos Architectural by Sonance speakers or any other third party in-wall or in-ceiling speakers.
https://www.sonos.com/en-us/shop/architectural

I apologize if this is a dumb question, but how do I connect the 2 Sonos amps to my TV output in such a way it knows which speakers are my fronts and rears?

Userlevel 7

It’s not a dumb question. Only the Amp powering the two front speakers will connect to your TV via HDMI ARC or optical. The other Amp powering the two rear surround speakers will communicate with the first Amp wirelessly. The Sonos Sub will also connect to the first Amp wirelessly.

After some more research I found the Sono Port, if I’m understanding it correctly I would connect my 5.1 receiver into it in order to play my sonos music through my surround speakers, is this correct? 

Userlevel 7

Yes, you can connect a Sonos Port to your receiver and play music from the Sonos app through the speakers wired to the receiver. This would also allow you to group the 5.1 speaker setup with any other Sonos speaker you have in your home for multi-room music playback.

Great, thanks for all the info. The Port seems like the best all around solution, I get the 5.1 plus extra use of speakers for music.