Answered

Multichannel PCM on Arc

Userlevel 4
Badge +2
  • Avid Contributor III
  • 11 replies

Are you really not supporting multichannel PCM on the newly announced Arc?

Why? It’s not a licensing issue this time.

It seems like there is always something missing with your home theater products.

icon

Best answer by Ditte 10 November 2020, 16:39

View original

328 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

I’d also like to request that we get an update on the progress. Pretty hard to recommend the ARC right now to anybody given its limitations.

I’d also like to request that we get an update on the progress. Pretty hard to recommend the ARC right now to anybody given its limitations.

Agreed. I am over Sonos right now. I’ve spent a lot of money on their products, and the lack of respect that they show their customers is offensive. Please Sonos, give us an update on where things lie with LPCM. Also, support DTS. Your customers are asking for it. Is Sonos a customer centric company?  I can’t see evidence of that.

Userlevel 1

Please can we have an update on this?

I really would like to purchase Sonos Arc to go now with upcoming ps5 but without lpcm its pointless. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

The fact that they know about the thread and they choose to continue to ignore their customers is so disappointing. At this point, I don’t even expect them to have it done this year, if at all.

Complete transparency failure by Sonos. As an owner for thousands of dollars of Sonos products, I’m ticked. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

I started a new thread with the theory that maybe they are ignoring this one or it isn’t on their radar because it’s been marked as “answered”. I’m not very hopeful that I’ll get a response but here it is if anybody is interested:

https://en.community.sonos.com/home-theater-228993/requesting-an-update-on-multichannel-pcm-in-arc-6849543

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi folks. Thanks for reaching out and sharing your thoughts here. I understand where you all coming from and as Ryan’s response we will be adding Multi-Channel LPCM support to Arc as part of a future software update. We don’t have the exact timing to share at this point and will keep you all posted when we do. All threads are being addressed and checked here so creating a new thread is not necessary as this has been forwarded and being worked on. Ryan’s response has just been marked as the best answer for you to easily see and know that we addressed it. 

Appreciate your patience and understanding. We and the community are always here to help.

Userlevel 1

Thank you for the update.

I'm going to proceed to buy a sonos arc based on this information as this is a much needed feature I required for my gaming side of things. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi folks. Thanks for reaching out and sharing your thoughts here. I understand where you all coming from and as Ryan’s response we will be adding Multi-Channel LPCM support to Arc as part of a future software update. We don’t have the exact timing to share at this point and will keep you all posted when we do. All threads are being addressed and checked here so creating a new thread is not necessary as this has been forwarded and being worked on. Ryan’s response has just been marked as the best answer for you to easily see and know that we addressed it. 

Appreciate your patience and understanding. We and the community are always here to help.

Thank you. 

We will be adding Multi-Channel LPCM support to Arc as part of a future software update. We don’t have the exact timing to share at this point and will keep you all posted when we do.

Thank you for the update, Krishma! Would it be possible for you to give us an idea as to how high up on the list of priorities this is currently, amongst all other features and projects you're looking at? Have the developers started working on this feature yet, or is it still yet to be prioritized?

I accept a reluctance to announce a date due to Covid and all, but it would be nice to have something to check my expectations by, besides in effect "maybe/hopefully eventually". Regardless, I'm glad to once again hear it's still in the pipeline. Personally, the omission of L-PCM support is solely the reason I haven't yet bought the Arc, and while I greatly enjoy my current Sonos setup I'd love to upgrade for full surround support for my Nintendo Switch. So I'm eagerly and hopefully awaiting it's announcement. Thank you once again.

Userlevel 1

I agree with previous comments, would it be possible at least to know a little bit your planning plan ? We don't even know if you already begin to work at this. We speak about days, monthes, years ? I think that's unfortunately not instructive for us.

Thanks

Okay, probably a super-dumb question from a new Arc owner:

My cable set top box only has two options for audio output - “DD 5.1” and “Stereo”.  When I set it to “DD 5.1” and look at the Audio Input information in my Sonos app, it states the input is “Multichannel PCM”.  Based on this thread, does this really only mean that the Arc recognizes that the input is in Multichannel PCM, not that it is actually able to do anything with it other than output it in stereo?  (Before you ask, just putting my ear up to the bar, I can’t tell for sure whether there is some faint 5.1 distribution going on or if the bar is instead outputting only in stereo but the soundscape seems wider due to the multiple Arc speakers.)

Thanks, 

Mike

The problem is with this is that it's pretty much the same response you gave 4 months ago…

From your customers perspective you've done nothing over the last 4 months. Saying it's "going to be added" doesn't exactly instill confidence when we are already 4 months down the road and you have nothing to say or show for it.

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

The problem is with this is that it's pretty much the same response you gave 4 months ago…

From your customers perspective you've done nothing over the last 4 months. Saying it's "going to be added" doesn't exactly instill confidence when we are already 4 months down the road and you have nothing to say or show for it.

In the other thread on this subject you will find a response from another Sonos staff member that confirms it’s in active testing and will be added in a firmware before end of year.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

In the other thread on this subject you will find a response from another Sonos staff member that confirms it’s in active testing and will be added in a firmware before end of year.

What thread?

+1 which thread?

Userlevel 1

https://en.community.sonos.com/home-theater-228993/lpcm-eta-for-arc-6842558?postid=16482333#post16482333

https://en.community.sonos.com/home-theater-228993/lpcm-eta-for-arc-6842558?postid=16482333#post16482333

Quote:

John M - 3 days ago [at the time of this posting]

"We are actively testing multi-channel LPCM on Sonos and we'll be releasing it as part of a software update by the end of this year. We will update this thread again once it's available. "

Badge

Looks like this might be out next month 🤞

https://twitter.com/hopelesswriter1/status/1318444581004992514?s=21

It better is. Playstation 5 wont support atmos and will need LPCM

12.2 is out now, where are release notes?

Userlevel 5

Hi all,

We hear you. With a software update today, Arc now supports multi-channel LPCM, bringing new immersive sound experiences for gaming, Blu-ray discs, and more. To get support for multi-channel LPCM on Arc, download the latest Sonos S2 update from the app store and then update your system in the Sonos S2 app. After updating the app, go to Settings > System > System Updates > Check for Updates.

All the best,

Ditte

Hi all,

We hear you. With a software update today, Arc now supports multi-channel LPCM, bringing new immersive sound experiences for gaming, Blu-ray discs, and more. To get support for multi-channel LPCM on Arc, download the latest Sonos S2 update from the app store and then update your system in the Sonos S2 app. After updating the app, go to Settings > System > System Updates > Check for Updates.

All the best,

Ditte

Best news ever for an early Arc adopter

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi all,

All the best,

Ditte

Amazing, thank you! Finally!! 

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

Nice.  What does this mean for Apple TV users wanting Atmos?

Userlevel 2

Great work SONOS.

While a sound bar with this price tag should probably have shipped with the functionality, I appreciate the effort everyone at SONOS has done to get it updated and out the door.