Answered

Requesting an update on Multichannel PCM in ARC

• 17 October 2020
  • 15 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hello,

I’m going with the theory that perhaps Sonos might pay attention to threads not marked as “Answered” and possibly respond to a new one.

A lot of people are patiently waiting to hear about any progress or timeline for supporting multichannel PCM on ARC. Is there anything substantial that you’re able to share with us regarding this feature?

icon

Best answer by Krishma M 20 October 2020, 21:11

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

15 replies

Sonos has never provided updates as to any progress or potential timelines to software releases.

Userlevel 2
Badge

You say that as if that should be the status quo. I don’t know of many other companies that aren’t willing to at least provide some boilerplate response to a highly requested update on a flagship product. None that are still in business anyway.

Customers don’t provide money to companies that don’t support their products. I’m hoping they’ll do the right thing.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

There’s a difference between no support and not supplying the roadmap to future features. Sonos has had very bad reactions to failing to live up to the promise to deliver Google Assistant at a certain time. Maybe this had made them even less eager to supply their roadmap…..

Userlevel 2
Badge

I’m really just looking for an indication of whether it’s still a priority for them or not within a reasonable time-frame. I will be unable to use the ARC as a home theater sound bar without this feature and have to decide between returning it or buying more Sonos gear to complete the home theater setup. If a company can ask me to make an $1800 sound bar system purchase then I feel like it’s not unreasonable for me to be able to ask “Hey, is it going to work soon?”

If not then I’ll gladly accept that and find a different product.

Userlevel 1

Is it still coming?

If so will it be this year or has it been pushed back into 2021? 

I’m really just looking for an indication of whether it’s still a priority for them or not within a reasonable time-frame.

That’s a rather vague requirement, and honestly I think they already provided that when they stated it was coming later.   Would you be satisfied if they answered yes...but it turns out it was #10 on their list (not that you would ever know) and didn’t come out till next June...if they thought that was reasonable?

Sonos has been careful with releasing this sort of information as there is very little upside and plenty of downside.  If they give a date, they run the risk of missing the date and disappointed customers.  Even if they hit the date, some customers will fill it should have been done faster.  It makes sense to only give a date when there is little chance you won’t make that date.

I will be unable to use the ARC as a home theater sound bar without this feature and have to decide between returning it or buying more Sonos gear to complete the home theater setup. If a company can ask me to make an $1800 sound bar system purchase then I feel like it’s not unreasonable for me to be able to ask “Hey, is it going to work soon?”

If not then I’ll gladly accept that and find a different product.

If I were you, I never would have bought the Arc until it did what I needed it to.  But regardless, in your situation I would return the Arc, and decide to waint until it has the features I need, or go with another product.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Well the customers are already pretty disappointed and with PS5 releasing soon (that requires LPCM) I would think Sonos would want to be more forthcoming on their intentions to work with this technology.

But you heard it here first folks. The consensus apparently is that we should avoid buying the ARC.

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Isn’t Multichannel PCM something you would automatically expect to be on a high end soundbar?

I’m no expert on all the sound formats but my last soundbar supported the lot apart from atmos which is why I purchased the ARC, I don’t think anyone wants a precise date but nothing stops Sonos keeping owners of the Arc updated with progress such as “it’s in the works”.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Isn’t Multichannel PCM something you would automatically expect to be on a high end soundbar?

I’m no expert on all the sound formats but my last soundbar supported the lot apart from atmos which is why I purchased the ARC, I don’t think anyone wants a precise date but nothing stops Sonos keeping owners of the Arc updated with progress such as “it’s in the works”.

Exactly. It it supports Atmos, it sure should support a lot more formats!

A Nintendo Switch outputs in Stereo ffs. It’s humiliating. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

It is quite unfortunate, but recently Sonos has restructured their support staff. In the process they had let go long-time staff member Ryan S. Ryan went to great lengths to help us and indeed had worked with the engineers at Sonos to solve our problems.

The new support staff, I feel, has less contact with the engineering team. Moreover, I suspect they do not have a lot of freedom in the type of answers they can provide. Usually, they answer using very courteous canned responses, often based in a few keywords in the sender’s message. If that doesn’t work they ask for a diagnostic. They probably have some automated tool that will flag problems with that file. Then, if that doesn’t help they ask you to call the ever-busy support line. I do not think they have much access to what bug-reporting/development tracking tool. 

All the above is a very long way of saying that we are experiencing a decline in Sonos’ support offerings due to cost-cutting measures. Therefore, I am hardly surprised with the lack of updates (this does not mean to say that the support staff isn’t trying. It’s just that I think they are quite limited).

What do I suggest: email Patrick Spence, the CEO (his email is prominent on the support webpage), and let him know directly what you are feeling. I presume he does not peruse these forums so he may be unaware of the displeasure of some customers. Surely he must read some percentage of emails...

Userlevel 3
Badge

https://twitter.com/hopelesswriter1/status/1318444581004992514?s=21

Tweeted - not holding out much hope

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi folks, thanks for reaching out to the Sonos Community! I understand where you all coming from and we have several threads that we addressed about this case that we will be adding Multi-Channel LPCM support to Arc as part of a future software update. We just don’t have the exact timing to share at this point and will keep you all posted when we do. All threads are being addressed and checked here so creating a new thread is not necessary as this has been forwarded and being worked on. 

Appreciate your patience and understanding. We and the community are always here to help.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Thank you for your reply

Badge

@Wolf it looks like it might be coming out next month, according to the CEO’s answer to your tweet 😃 Good news!

Userlevel 3
Badge

@Wolf it looks like it might be coming out next month, according to the CEO’s answer to your tweet 😃 Good news!

Fingers crossed!