Multichannel PCM 5.1 dropping out since 14.10 update

Show first post

475 replies

I can confirm that the sound cut outs are not there with the Sonos Arc on my LG C1.

Stopping by to say that this issue remains ongoing. I’ve got an LG C2, Beam (Gen 2), sub mini, Apple TV 4K (3rd Generation) on up-to-date system software and intermittent sound drops are still a nuisance. No sound drops on internal apps on the TV, just on the Apple TV. Changing the audio format on the Apple TV (thus turning off Atmos) stops it, but this is obviously not ideal.  Just ordered one of the cables mentioned throughout the thread and I’ll report back

Updated Amazon link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09YPRB8T8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Another weird thing and this may be nothing. The Audio output on the Apple TV repeatedly goes from being named “TV Speakers” to “Audio Receiver” and back again. This may just be a display name issue, but it also may be switching from the cable to airplay for some reason. There’s no change in what the Sonos app says is playing (in other words, not switching from 5.1 to stereo) so I think it’s just a display name issue. Still, it’s weird.

Stopping by to say that this issue remains ongoing. I’ve got an LG C2, Beam (Gen 2), sub mini, Apple TV 4K (3rd Generation) on up-to-date system software and intermittent sound drops are still a nuisance. No sound drops on internal apps on the TV, just on the Apple TV. Changing the audio format on the Apple TV (thus turning off Atmos) stops it, but this is obviously not ideal.  Just ordered one of the cables mentioned throughout the thread and I’ll report back

Updated Amazon link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09YPRB8T8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Another weird thing and this may be nothing. The Audio output on the Apple TV repeatedly goes from being named “TV Speakers” to “Audio Receiver” and back again. This may just be a display name issue, but it also may be switching from the cable to airplay for some reason. There’s no change in what the Sonos app says is playing (in other words, not switching from 5.1 to stereo) so I think it’s just a display name issue. Still, it’s weird.

Have you tried plugging your Apple TV into the HDMI 1 port of your TV? I only had issues when using HDMI 3 or 4. Also using a fiber HDMI cable didn't completely get rid of the issue. I had occasionally drop outs including a black screen for like 2 seconds when using a fiber hdmi cable. The screen black outs only occurred when using the fiber cable. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I am sorry to say the cable may not work if it is only Atmos that has the dropouts, I know as i bought one, sadly the only thing that will work is an earc audio extractor such as an HDFURY Arcana for info in this thread

Have you tried plugging your Apple TV into the HDMI 1 port of your TV? I only had issues when using HDMI 3 or 4. Also using a fiber HDMI cable didn't completely get rid of the issue. I had occasionally drop outs including a black screen for like 2 seconds when using a fiber hdmi cable. The screen black outs only occurred when using the fiber cable. 

Haven’t tried it but will if the problem repeats. So far no problems with the new cable on HDMI 3.

I am sorry to say the cable may not work if it is only Atmos that has the dropouts, I know as i bought one, sadly the only thing that will work is an earc audio extractor such as an HDFURY Arcana for info in this thread

So far I haven’t had the dropouts on the new cable.  I’ll update if the cutouts come back.

Also having this issue. Setup is LG C3, with Apple TV 4K, Beam Gen2, PS5, and Nintendo Switch on inputs 1-4, respectively. TV settings: Audio input format: Bitstream; Digital Sound Output: Pass Through; eARC Support: On. 

Sound cuts out on Nintendo Switch with sound set to “Auto” or “Surround” and PS5 when set to Linear PCM 5.1. Mostly have PS5 set to 7.1 to avoid this issue. 

Just ordered the fiber optic hdmi cable linked in the previous post… hopefully it resolves the sound cuts. Very frustrating that this hasn’t been addressed officially yet. Thanks to those who did the hard work to find a stop-gap solution. 

Also having this issue. Setup is LG C3, with Apple TV 4K, Beam Gen2, PS5, and Nintendo Switch on inputs 1-4, respectively. TV settings: Audio input format: Bitstream; Digital Sound Output: Pass Through; eARC Support: On. 

Sound cuts out on Nintendo Switch with sound set to “Auto” or “Surround” and PS5 when set to Linear PCM 5.1. Mostly have PS5 set to 7.1 to avoid this issue. 

Just ordered the fiber optic hdmi cable linked in the previous post… hopefully it resolves the sound cuts. Very frustrating that this hasn’t been addressed officially yet. Thanks to those who did the hard work to find a stop-gap solution. 

You can also set it to Dolby Atmos on your PS5, that can help. Only devices that are connected to HDMI 3 and 4 are experiencing drop outs. Especially when using PCM 5.1

The fiber hdmi cable solution is not perfect. It will introduce a new issue that'll cause audio and video drop outs, not as frequently as before but still very annoying. 

If I were you, return the Beam Gen 2 and buy the Arc. All issues are gone with the Arc on my end.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

I’m just checking in for the first time in a while. I’m the guy who came up with the optical cable solution, but as the above post states, it does seem to cause a new issue, thankfully it isn’t very often. 

I’ve gone back to a regular cable, put my Apple TV on HDMI 1, set top box set to stereo audio (2 channel) and my PS5 to Dolby Atmos. This works fine for me - but I am giving up 5.1 audio from the set top box. 

I’m still hoping for a fix though and will check back here periodically. 

I’m just checking in for the first time in a while. I’m the guy who came up with the optical cable solution, but as the above post states, it does seem to cause a new issue, thankfully it isn’t very often. 

I’ve gone back to a regular cable, put my Apple TV on HDMI 1, set top box set to stereo audio (2 channel) and my PS5 to Dolby Atmos. This works fine for me - but I am giving up 5.1 audio from the set top box. 

I’m still hoping for a fix though and will check back here periodically. 

I’ve had no issues so far with the optical cable (only a few days of use). Thanks for finding that solution! 

When have you noticed audio/visual drop outs? And do they only occur when using 5.1 PCM with the optical cable?   

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

It seemed to just happen once a week or so, usually when starting to play something (maybe the audio mode switching can cause it?). It doesn’t seem to be 5.1 related, it can happen on anything. Sometimes no sound, sometimes only some audio channels play. A quick restart fixes it. I never had any image issues though. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

From reviews/anecdotes, it seemed like optical cables are more prone to failure (and the longer, the more problematic) so I ended up not getting one. Maybe that’s why we’re only getting these reports months (year?) later.

Perhaps our only hope is if the rumored Arc successor has the same issue lol. But by then I would’ve replaced and demoted my Beam already so I wouldn’t care anymore.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Hi all, I have a LG C2 and I bought a beam 2 a few weeks back but I had not played my PS5 until today and yep I’ve got this issue 🙄 I’ve had more problems with the Beam 2 than the Beam 1. Some ‘upgrade’.

I have PS5 in HDMI 3. I have Apple TV in HDMI 4 and have had zero skipping issues with that.

Whoever is at fault, be it LG or Sonos needs to fix this crap. It’s a joke that the solution is to buy a new cable. I’ve just bought the one linked on this page so hopefully that works with no problems.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Hi all, I have a LG C2 and I bought a beam 2 a few weeks back but I had not played my PS5 until today and yep I’ve got this issue 🙄 I’ve had more problems with the Beam 2 than the Beam 1. Some ‘upgrade’.

On the PS5 you can switch on Atmos and it will no longer be a problem (Settings > Sounds > Audio Output > Audio Format). I’ve never had this issues since changing the settings. My PS5 is also on HDMI 3.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

On the PS5 you can switch on Atmos and it will no longer be a problem (Settings > Sounds > Audio Output > Audio Format). I’ve never had this issues since changing the settings. My PS5 is also on HDMI 3.

Thanks. But can I ask why is Linear PCM recommand for PS5 then and not Dolby atmos? Why was everyone in the thread not just switching over? What I’m I losing by switching to atmos? I presume I still get 5.1

Sorry for all the questions but I am a audio noob :D

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Thanks. But can I ask why is Linear PCM recommand for PS5 then and not Dolby atmos? Why was everyone in the thread not just switching over? What I’m I losing by switching to atmos? I presume I still get 5.1

Atmos was added to the PS5 last year in an update. Most of this thread predates that change. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Atmos was added to the PS5 last year in an update. Most of this thread predates that change. 

Now I’m bought the cable I’ll try that first. I see from your posts that can cause it’s own (perhaps rare?) problem?

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

It can, but it is a whole lot better than without it. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

It can, but it is a whole lot better than without it. 

Last thing on this, atmos on PS5 doesn’t work with every game, right?

There are certain games that don't support Dolby Atmos on PS5. You'll loose Surround or get wrong audio channels with some games. Most games are made with Linear PCM in mind. 

Dolby Atmos can also be amazing for certain games. If you have issues with sound, switch back to Linear PCM. It varies game by game.

Here are certain examples that give you issues when using Dolby Atmos:

- The Last of Us Part 2

- God of War Ragnarok

- Stellar Blade (defaults to stereo when using Atmos)

I want to add that only HDMI 3 and 4 are affected by the sound cut out issue. HDMI 1 is totally fine and shouldn't have this issue.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

There are certain games that don't support Dolby Atmos on PS5. You'll loose Surround or get wrong audio channels with some games. Most games are made with Linear PCM in mind. 

Dolby Atmos can also be amazing for certain games. If you have issues with sound, switch back to Linear PCM. It varies game by game.

Here are certain examples that give you issues when using Dolby Atmos:

- The Last of Us Part 2

- God of War Ragnarok

- Stellar Blade (defaults to stereo when using Atmos)

I want to add that only HDMI 3 and 4 are affected by the sound cut out issue. HDMI 1 is totally fine and shouldn't have this issue.

Thanks. I’ll try this new cable and stick to linear. Any problems and I’ll switch to dolby atmos.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

OK, good job I have ordered that new cable to try because even after trying Dolby atmos I’m still getting the drops every couple of minutes or so. The exact same pattern. So, if no one else has this then maybe my issue isn’t the same? 🤔

FWIW, even when switched to Atmos I was still seeing multi channel PCM 5.1 on the sonos app. I don’t know if that matters.

The more Sonos products I buy the more I loath them. Sick of this shit with them. I just want stuff to work. Feeling like selling my whole system. I dunno. At least, Bose seem to care.

Any ideas @MJW75 or anyone else?

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

OK, good job I have ordered that new cable to try because even after trying Dolby atmos I’m still getting the drops every couple of minutes or so. The exact same pattern. So, if no one else has this then maybe my issue isn’t the same? 🤔

FWIW, even when switched to Atmos I was still seeing multi channel PCM 5.1 on the sonos app. I don’t know if that matters.

The more Sonos products I buy the more I loath them. Sick of this shit with them. I just want stuff to work. Feeling like selling my whole system. I dunno. At least, Bose seem to care.

Any ideas @MJW75 or anyone else?

No - the Beam should be reporting Atmos. Check your TV is set to audio pass through. I’m not sure what happens on incomparable games though - I don’t think I’ve played any of them. 

Any ideas @MJW75 or anyone else?

It should show up as Dolby Atmos in the Sonos app. Change the device within your PS5 sound settings to AV Receiver and NOT soundbar.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

@MJW75 @Fendera Now showing as dolby atmos in the app. And working fine when set to Dolby Atoms! No dropouts detected, so far. The problem was that I was playing PSVR 2 and that was doing something funky to the audio. I can confirm it’s the same issue as this thread, now. It’s cutting out every minute when I switch to linear PCM

I might keep it on Dolby atmos, but if I do switch to the other cable, I’ll try linear PCM again and report the results.

Thank you to both for your help.