Answered

Multi zone with 5.1 home theatre

• 11 November 2017
  • 11 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Two quesrions..

I habe a few sonos 1's scattered around the house right now. .. Workomf pretty good.

If i add a playbar, a sub and 2 sonos 1's as a 5.1 homw threatre in the living room..

For audio.. Will the entire livingroom setup show up as one speaker in the app or will I need to group each time to play music? And assumimg it does show up as one item. Can i group the home theatre witj the other sonos 1's and have music playing through all speakers in the livingroom as well as the rest of the house?

Lastly. If watchimg tv, and the sound is being output to the playbar via optical. Can i group that sound and olay it all aroind the house?
icon

Best answer by nifoxke 11 November 2017, 17:54

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +9
The living room would show up as one group. The surround Play:1s stay dedicated to the Playbar and Sub. You won't need to regroup each time. Yes, you can group other speakers throughout the house with the 5.1 setup. So whatever you're watching on TV can be broadcast to other speakers. Same goes for music you're playing on the 5.1 setup.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Sweet
Userlevel 3
Badge +9
That's the beauty of Sonos! I personally cannot wait until I buy a few more Play:1s or Ones so that I can have football broadcast throughout the house on game days.
Badge
So I have a few questions regarding grouping 1 or 2 Play:1s to the Playbar and sub rather then setting them up as a 5.1 paired system. hopefully you guys can help me out, first of all let me say I only own (1) play:1 speaker, and I have just purchased the Playbar and sub. First question, is there much of a sound difference regarding quality of sound between just grouping the Play:1 to Playbar/Sub compared to pairing it? because I have grouped it for music and TV and let me tell the Music sounded amazing but TV got kinda tricky regarding volume control for tv remote and app settings volume control. From what I understand is that when you pair the Play:1 it then becomes paired to the Playbar and when controlling the volume either from app or remote its the same speaker they both go up and down together,while still being able to tweak certain setting on the Play:1. But you can do the same just while its just grouped with the Playbar and sub, so I'm confused why someone would not just group them to a Playbar/Sub rather then pair, because from what I have read if paired its kind of a pain to unpair if wanting to move Play:1s elsewhere. The reason I don't want to pair them with the Playbar and sub is because I would like to unplug them throughout the day and move around my house, but its nice at night to bring them all to the living room and watch movies with more speakers rather then just the Playbar and sub.

Sorry if that's to much info or not enough info, this is my first post regarding my Sonos speakers. I was just wondering if pairing rather then grouping sounded better or not and is it worth not being able to unpair the Play:1 without difficulty meaning (time consuming) because moving the Play:1 to other places in my house has been the reason I love sonos I would hate to have to purchase 3 more Play:1s rather then one more and just move them around. Any info on this would be greatly appreciated Thx 😉
Userlevel 3
Badge +9
If you bond the Play:1s to the Playbar and Sub, you'll gain the 5.1 functionality which is great for TV and movies. And if you leave them bonded, you can set the Play:1s to play full volume when playing music through the Sonos app. So that way you get the beauty of surround during TV watching and full volume for music.

When bonded, the volume control is much easier.

I'd suggest saving your pennies to purchase additional Play:1s to have in the rest of your house and leave your current speakers in the living room and bond them as surrounds to your Playbar. Check eBay or look for open box items on Best Buy. There's significant savings to be had there.
Badge
Thx for the reply nifoxke, Much appreciated! That makes more sense now knowing the volume works better while bonded also. After reading your comment about broadcasting football around the whole house I think I will purchase a few more Play:1s as well! I'm sure the wife would like that lol 😉 so now that I have messed around with my volume on the TV remote and also my app do you think I should set the remote up again? because I notice when I use the TV remote while barely turning it up according to the TV its drastic through my speakers. I tried to level it out by turning the volume down to 0 on TV and also on the app then proceeded to just turn it up with the TV remote but number 6 is like half volume on the app. Thanks again for your help.
Userlevel 3
Badge +9
It may be worthwhile to try setting it all up again once the Play:1s are properly bonded to your Playbar, especially to go through True Play tuning again. I'm not sure if that will solve the volume issue or not, though. It doesn't take long to go through the process so it's worth a shot. My remote turns the volume up very incrementally.
Badge
Just ordered 2 more Play:1s! ill be getting it all setup tonight. True Play tuning is not supported by android correct?
Userlevel 3
Badge +9
I do believe that is the case. Do you know anyone with an iOS device you could borrow? It would need to be an iPhone 7 or below (not sure how old of an iPhone is supported) or an iPad.
Badge
Yes my wife has a iPhone 7.
Userlevel 3
Badge +9
Perfect. You should be all set then.