Answered

LPCM on ARC already supported?

• 6 July 2020
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Hello, 

I’m confused. I was in the understanding LPCM is not (yet) supported by the Arc. Well, I just hooked everything up to my new LG CX (with eArc).  When playing a movie with Dolby TrueHD or  DTS(-HD MA) through Infuse on the Apple TV 4K which by default converts everything to LPCM, the “About My System”  page in the Sonos App shows the following.  It says “Dolby Multi-Channel PCM 5.1” and of course I can hear the sound as well. I’m just confused about the  “Dolby” part. Isn’t the whole purpose of LPCM that it isn’t Dolby or DTS. What am I missing?

**Moderator Note: Please censor personal information if posting pictures.**

icon

Best answer by Nicholas M 6 July 2020, 16:19

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

That’s a new one. You get a software update the rest of us didn’t? :wink:

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Don’t think so. I’m at 12.01 for S2 controller. I believe that’s the latest.

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Don’t think so. I’m at 12.01 for S2 controller. I believe that’s the latest.

I was just teasing. I just haven’t seen this before so am as surprised as you. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Dolby Multi-channel L-PCM isn’t the same thing as plain old multichannel-LPCM. It is the name for a Dolby MAT stream that contains multichannel l-pcm, which is fully supported.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Dolby Multi-channel L-PCM isn’t the same thing as plain old multichannel-LPCM. It is the name for a Dolby MAT stream that contains multichannel l-pcm, which is fully supported.

Right, so quality is still less than for instance Dolby TrueHD / DTS-HD.MA am i right? Basically just Dolby Digital?

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Right, so quality is still less than for instance Dolby TrueHD / DTS-HD.MA am i right? Basically just Dolby Digital?

Well the signal you are current getting is only 5.1 but it is uncompressed. Dolby MAT isn’t inherently less quality as a format and can support more than 5.1 inputs if the source provides them.

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Ah. Good to know! Learn something new every day. ;-) 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I don’t understand: how come for you the Apple TV outputs Dolby MAT, and for mine (LG C9) it doesn't (apparently I need to wait for LPCM support from Arc)? All 5.1 content from Apple TV plays in Stereo 2.0, only Atmos content plays in Atmos…

Does your Apple TV play Atmos content as Atmos on Arc?