Answered

LPCM ETA for Arc?

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

206 replies

Do people come on here as a way of passing time, for reasons other than to talk about Sonos products? Must have such fun lives.

We’re trying to troubleshoot an expensive soundbar that isn’t working properly. Beat it, Karen. 

I did the new 4.80.03 update on my LG65OLEDC9. I right off the bat lost the center channel on the PS4 pro. It turns out the PS4 now recognizes the TV can decode 7.1 PCM. This issue  can be addressed easily by entering the main PS4 audio settings. The moment you open the audio settings it will mention how this device can support 7.1. You need to force it to 5.1 using the checkbox on that screen. Then change the output from PCM to Dolby. Everything works great. I just go into the game settings (last of us part 2) and make sure the audio home theater is set to 5.1 in game. 

I’m not sure this can be answered, but I will ask out of curiosity.  When Sonos delivers the LPCM update, will the Arc be able to receive 7.1 PCM? Or will we still need to force 5.1? 

Yeah, PS4 and Xbox One both support Dolby output so they are fine.  The problem is some streaming box can’t output Dolby bitstream, for example: Apple TV

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

I’ve read this whole thread and am not clear perhaps because it depends on what TV you have.

I have an Apple TV 4K which all my content comes from and a Sony X930E with Arc.  I have an Arc, Sub, and rear One’s. I’m happy with 5.1.

I can get Atmos from the built in Amazon Prime app but not the ATV Prime app.  It sounds ok, not amazing, and the TV’s Prime app looks noticeably worse than the Apple TV app so I stopped using it.

What will LPCM do for me related to Atmos?

There seems to be so much confusion around this topic.

Simple question I was hoping people could help out with. Currently, what content are people able to get “Lossless” Dolby Atmos (Dolby Digital True HD) to play on the Sonos Arc?

Seems like one route are the TV apps on new televisions with eARC?

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

You don’t have to have eARC on a TV to get Atmos.  My Sony X930E has Arc but the built in Amazon Prime app does get me Atmos.  But Amazon Prime on my Apple TV does not.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

You don’t have to have eARC on a TV to get Atmos.  My Sony X930E has Arc but the built in Amazon Prime app does get me Atmos.  But Amazon Prime on my Apple TV does not.

This thread is based on an LG firmware update which doesn’t convert LPCM automatically.  Because Sonos cannot accept LPCM, it is an issue.  It doesn't impact your Sony TV.

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

Looks like this thread is over other tvs too as I did read the entire thing.

SoCal - I don’t think that’s correct.

If you’re using a standard ARC port (no eARC) - you’re getting “lossy” atmos through Dolby Digital Plus

From Sonos website:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/4844?language=en_US

“Most Dolby Atmos audio can be played through HDMI-ARC using the Dolby Digital Plus codec. HDMI-eARC is required to play lossless Dolby Atmos audio using the Dolby TrueHD codec.”

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

If you’re using a standard ARC port (no eARC) - you’re getting “lossy” atmos through Dolby Digital Plus

From Sonos website:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/4844?language=en_US

“Most Dolby Atmos audio can be played through HDMI-ARC using the Dolby Digital Plus codec. HDMI-eARC is required to play lossless Dolby Atmos audio using the Dolby TrueHD codec.”

There is no such thing as TrueHD over a streaming service or device (e.g. Apple TV).  So he’s definitely getting DD+ Atmos.  You can only get TrueHD via a 4K Blu-ray player with an eARC connection.  Note however, that Apple TV requires an eARC connection to get Dolby Atmos at all (it will not pass DD+ Atmos via ARC).  Apple has imposed that requirement.  

As for the rest of this thread, I can report that I am running the latest firmware on an LG E9 and do not have this issue.  My Apple TV is playing Atmos without having to do anything in the audio settings.  Just make sure your audio setting is set to “Auto” rather than “Pass Through” or PCM.

Thanks - that’s interesting. 

This could not get more complicated if they tried.

When you say you’re getting atmos - is that through an external Apple TV 4K console, or the LG Apple app?

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

When you say you’re getting atmos - is that through an external Apple TV 4K console, or the LG Apple app?

Apple TV 4K.  You can’t get Atmos through the LG Apple app (or any Apple app).  Apple only allows Atmos through their own hardware (not their Apple TV apps).  That’s true on all brands of TVs that have Apple apps.  And they only allow Atmos through their own hardware with an eARC connection (no ARC).  Why?  Because they are Apple and Apple does stuff like that.

Thank you very much for the clarity here.

I purchased the Sonos ARC and connected it do an older Samsung through an ARC port and haven’t been able to get Atmos through my Apple TV 4k (or any other source for that matter).

Your comments confirming new LG’s with an eARC connection pass through atmos are steering me in the direction of picking up a new LG  GX.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Thank you very much for the clarity here.

I purchased the Sonos ARC and connected it do an older Samsung through an ARC port and haven’t been able to get Atmos through my Apple TV 4k (or any other source for that matter).

Your comments confirming new LG’s with an eARC connection pass through atmos are steering me in the direction of picking up a new LG  GX.

Yeah I have an Apple 4K TV connected to a 2018 Samsung QLED 60 and no dice on Atmos (though I get it through Roku, Firestick and some Samsung TV apps).  LG GX is a nice TV.   I recommend buying through Greentoe.  You’ll save a bunch of money.   Just got my E9 a couple of weeks ago (wanted a 2019 for the full HDMI 2.1 ports and the better price). 

Apple TV 4K.  You can’t get Atmos through the LG Apple app (or any Apple app).  Apple only allows Atmos through their own hardware (not their Apple TV apps).  That’s true on all brands of TVs that have Apple apps.  And they only allow Atmos through their own hardware with an eARC connection (no ARC).  Why?  Because they are Apple and Apple does stuff like that.

This is not correct.  The internal Apple TV app on my LG CX has recently been updated. It now plays Atmos tracks. I believe LG tv’s are the first devices to be able to play atmos tracks via the Apple TV app.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

This is not correct.  The internal Apple TV app on my LG CX has recently been updated. It now plays Atmos tracks. I believe LG tv’s are the first devices to be able to play atmos tracks via the Apple TV app.

I stand corrected.  Just released: https://www.macrumors.com/2020/06/30/lg-smart-tv-dolby-atmos-support-apple-tv-app/

Can confirm it works on an E9. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

I am very curious how you have been able to receive Atmos through your Apple TV 4k?  I have this setup and am unable to receive any audio when ATV is set to auto.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Super helpful. Thanks, ewolkoff.

Also, power move with the fireplace in the bedroom!

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

As for the rest of this thread, I can report that I am running the latest firmware on an LG E9 and do not have this issue.  My Apple TV is playing Atmos without having to do anything in the audio settings.  Just make sure your audio setting is set to “Auto” rather than “Pass Through” or PCM.

But what about when you’re trying to play DD5.1 content? On my system (Apple TV, LG C9, Sonos Arc, it plays Atmos content perfectly but the Sonos Arc sees DD5.1 content as Stereo 2.0.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

But what about when you’re trying to play DD5.1 content? On my system (Apple TV, LG C9, Sonos Arc, it plays Atmos content perfectly but the Sonos Arc sees DD5.1 content as Stereo 2.0.

You are right.  That is an issue for me too. 

I followed all of these steps but still won’t get any sound through my Arc. Can you confirm the firmware you’re running in your LG?

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

I followed all of these steps but still won’t get any sound through my Arc. Can you confirm the firmware you’re running in your LG?

Thanks! My BX is running 03.01.15 and won’t update any further than that, so maybe it’s a model specific issue as well.

Yes I have 03.01.15 as well Lg 75 Nano 906  2020 eARC and it doesn’t work.   Sorry I manually updated to 03.01.30 from .15 and no change.  This update is on LG support page for my model.  Automatic update didn’t detect it.   It works for internal apps Apple TV+, Netflix and Disney.  But does not work on Apple TV 4K with this brand new model with eARC.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

You guys aren’t getting Atmos or any sound at all?