Answered

LPCM ETA for Arc?

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

206 replies

@jgatie It makes it a description of my planned course of action. But since you seem to want your point made, consider it done. I cede to your mighty point! Now there must be another thread somewhere that’s ripe for your conquest. Surely.

Let me explain.  You are here trying to garner support for a fix to a bug and/or a new feature (depending on which definition you employ).  You pepper your posts with idle threats and silly demands. That tells those of us who have been here a while that you aren’t here to be serious, you are only here to rant.  If you were to stop with the threats, attempt to understand the realities of a software development cycle, and make your demands more reasonable, the support you garner just may tip things in your favor amongst more posters.  The more posters on your side, the more your demands are taken seriously.  

Userlevel 1

@jgatie - I liked your reply. Is that how to make you move on? Trying my best here.

@jgatie - I liked your reply. Is that how to make you move on? Trying my best here.

I post what I want, where I want, and when I want.  If you think my posts are violating the TOS, feel free to alert a mod.  Otherwise, I’m afraid I’m here to stay.  

Userlevel 1

@batsabode Netflix is the major one causing me issues because of the mix of 5.1 and Atmos content - most of my Apple itunes / AppleTV+ content is in 4K Atmos so I don’t need to switch audio settings to get it to work. Will try the TV’s own Netflix app this evening. Do you know if there are any other quality differences (picture, etc) between the LG webOS apps and the Apple TV 4K apps?

Just to mention you can switch the Apple TV audio-out (format) codec in its audio & video settings to still get full surround sound, until the multichannel LPCM codec is supported on the Arc, so it’s not entirely a lost cause. Plus the LG TV has many of the ‘popular’ Movie Apps built-in/available anyway, which will play DD+(Atmos) just fine.

I don’t see these things as being in urgent need, just more of a ‘nice to have at some point’. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

@batsabode Netflix is the major one causing me issues because of the mix of 5.1 and Atmos content - most of my Apple itunes / AppleTV+ content is in 4K Atmos so I don’t need to switch audio settings to get it to work. Will try the TV’s own Netflix app this evening. Do you know if there are any other quality differences (picture, etc) between the LG webOS apps and the Apple TV 4K apps?

When I did mine it changed to dolby vision using the app on the tv. It is not easy to find the content under amazon prime as they have two versions of the same program one regular and one in $K UHD and even then you need to check if the movie tv show has atmos. I watched a little of the Jack Ryan series. But make sure you choose the correct version https://www.amazon.com/Pilot/dp/B07GGGRWNX/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=jack+ryan&qid=1592842477&s=instant-video&sr=1-3

As for Netflix it was also great under Space Force and Our Planet for both sound and video. 

I just cant get anything to play from atv in atmos because of the MAT signal and the Sonos Arc not accepting LPCM, Will have to wait for weather an update from apple, lg or Sonos. LG app for apple only works in 5.1 not Atmos but update coming, Sonos also update coming and apple I don’t think will be changing their format anytime soon as they along with other set top boxes use MAT. So we will see who. updates first and hope that other updates dont screw each. other up

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

When I did mine it changed to dolby vision using the app on the tv. It is not easy to find the content under amazon prime as they have two versions of the same program one regular and one in $K UHD and even then you need to check if the movie tv show has atmos. I watched a little of the Jack Ryan series. But make sure you choose the correct version https://www.amazon.com/Pilot/dp/B07GGGRWNX/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=jack+ryan&qid=1592842477&s=instant-video&sr=1-3

As for Netflix it was also great under Space Force and Our Planet for both sound and video. 

I just cant get anything to play from atv in atmos because of the MAT signal and the Sonos Arc not accepting LPCM, Will have to wait for weather an update from apple, lg or Sonos. LG app for apple only works in 5.1 not Atmos but update coming, Sonos also update coming and apple I don’t think will be changing their format anytime soon as they along with other set top boxes use MAT. So we will see who. updates first and hope that other updates dont screw each. other up

hi

so you have an eARC tv and Apple TV 4K box and you can’t get Atmos?

or are talking about internal Apple TV app on the tv.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

hi

I have the Sonos Arc connect ted to the EARC on my LG tv. The AppleTV is connected to the tv and I cannot get Atmos when using atv or any of the apps on it. When using the apps on the LG tv is can get Atmos on Netflix and Amazon Prime, (the only two. I have tried) but not of the appltv+ app as LG doesn't support it YET!! They will update the app on the lg tv to support it but who knows when probably late this. year but you never know. Its all because the Apple TV sends out an MAT signal and the arc doesn't accept LPCM.. I have the tv on passthru. So for now I leave my ATV in 5.1 mode and not Atmos, heres ohoping that the update to Sonos Arc comes soon and that it will work. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

hi

I have the Sonos Arc connect ted to the EARC on my LG tv. The AppleTV is connected to the tv and I cannot get Atmos when using atv or any of the apps on it. When using the apps on the LG tv is can get Atmos on Netflix and Amazon Prime, (the only two. I have tried) but not of the appltv+ app as LG doesn't support it YET!! They will update the app on the lg tv to support it but who knows when probably late this. year but you never know. Its all because the Apple TV sends out an MAT signal and the arc doesn't accept LPCM.. I have the tv on passthru. So for now I leave my ATV in 5.1 mode and not Atmos, heres ohoping that the update to Sonos Arc comes soon and that it will work. 

Well thank you for the info, I’m just confused now as I asked about this and I was led to believe I would get atmos over eARC from apple tv 4k box to my LG CX.

What LG do you have, another guy on here has a LG C9 latest firmware and gets atmos fine via apple tv box apps like netflix and iTunes.

https://en.community.sonos.com/home-theater-228993/lg-c9-and-sonos-arc-6842322

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

LG 75NANO90UNA which I love but not loving all the complications with something that should be easy. Maybe I still. need to play around with it more. It obviously has the latest software on everything, the. LG ATC and Sonos 

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

LG 75NANO90UNA which I love but not loving all the complications with something that should be easy. Maybe I still. need to play around with it more. It obviously has the latest software on everything, the. LG ATC and Sonos 

Ok so it may be a setting or bug on your TV stopping you getting atmos on the apple tv 4k box, hope you get it sorted, as according to all the other posts I have read atmos works with apple tv 4k box and sonos ARC.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Ok so it may be a setting or bug on your TV stopping you getting atmos on the apple tv 4k box, hope you get it sorted, as according to all the other posts I have read atmos works with apple tv 4k box and sonos ARC.

Again just tried it by setting the input to pcm instead of bitstream and when I play Atmos there is zero sound,  apart from at the top menu with extras etc. I  can leave the setting to Atmos on the ATV and still get 5.1 on arc when watching anything else that isn't Atmos. so if I choose to watch an Atmosmovie I have to turn off the Atmos on ATV to get sound. on the arc .

ARGHHHHHHHH!!! Its so annoying

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Again just tried it by setting the input to pcm instead of bitstream and when I play Atmos there is zero sound,  apart from at the top menu with extras etc. I  can leave the setting to Atmos on the ATV and still get 5.1 on arc when watching anything else that isn't Atmos. so if I choose to watch an Atmosmovie I have to turn off the Atmos on ATV to get sound. on the arc .

ARGHHHHHHHH!!! Its so annoying

It's like we are all beta testers at this stage.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Add me to the list of Arc owners waiting for this. I own two and this is not what I expect when I dish out $2k on speakers. 

Userlevel 1

Hi everyone - for what it’s worth, my brother (who is in the same situation) emailed Patrick Spence (Sonos CEO) and got a reply stating that LPCM will be supported and the update will be coming “this year”. So far the only other source stating this has been a post on this forum (I believe) so this might give people more confidence that the functionality is indeed lined up for the near future. I don’t think it’s a totally safe bet until they’ve shipped the update but it’s looking more positive.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hi everyone - for what it’s worth, my brother (who is in the same situation) emailed Patrick Spence (Sonos CEO) and got a reply stating that LPCM will be supported and the update will be coming “this year”. So far the only other source stating this has been a post on this forum (I believe) so this might give people more confidence that the functionality is indeed lined up for the near future. I don’t think it’s a totally safe bet until they’ve shipped the update but it’s looking more positive.

This years could be another 5 months! Why the hell wasn't this thought about long before they shipped the ARC, surely they must have had a bunch of ways to send Atmos to the Sonos Arc studied and if so that makes it even more unreasonable for them to send them out without the ability to work with a bunch of inputs. I get that so far they still dont support DTS due to having to pay licensing but LPCM doesn't require a fee and is generally an accepted inout due to many other streaming boxes using the MAT format 

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

This year could mean tomorrow or in six months. That’s not really promising and will be outside most people’s return period. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

totally agree! 

Userlevel 2
Badge

You arent the only one. I have the 65Nano90 and i have the same issue. Whenever atmos plays on the Apple TV 4K i get no sound. If its not atmos content, then it works fine. Currently i just have atmos shut off on the Apple TV, until we get the LPCM update. Also, i tried tech support for Sonos, Apple, and LG. Basically was a waste of an entire day

I own the LG C9 and the Arc in the 5.0.2 surround package. I am on the last firmware for the LG, 4.71.xx. I am getting multiple, daily notifications to update the TV to the new 4.80.xx firmware. 

The devices I own are a 4k bluray player, Ps4 pro, and Nintendo Switch.  I DO NOT own the Apple TV or Nvidia Shield. I also DO NOT use Plex or anything to play ripped movies over the network or through Hdmi.  I watch movies in two ways these days, either through the Bluray player and through LG’s built in WebOs apps.  

Questions are:  Can I update the TV while retaining Atmos and proper surround from the bluray player? Will I lose surround from the Ps4? I have all my settings correct as is for all three devices. I get Atmos and 5.1 with not issues. The Nintendo Switch is set to stereo mode since it uses Multi channel pcm for the surround mode.

I hope I can get a clear yes or no’s. And why’s to would be great! Thanks!

Userlevel 1
Badge

I own the LG C9 and the Arc in the 5.0.2 surround package. I am on the last firmware for the LG, 4.71.xx. I am getting multiple, daily notifications to update the TV to the new 4.80.xx firmware. 

The devices I own are a 4k bluray player, Ps4 pro, and Nintendo Switch.  I DO NOT own the Apple TV or Nvidia Shield. I also DO NOT use Plex or anything to play ripped movies over the network or through Hdmi.  I watch movies in two ways these days, either through the Bluray player and through LG’s built in WebOs apps.  

Questions are:  Can I update the TV while retaining Atmos and proper surround from the bluray player? Will I lose surround from the Ps4? I have all my settings correct as is for all three devices. I get Atmos and 5.1 with not issues. The Nintendo Switch is set to stereo mode since it uses Multi channel pcm for the surround mode.

I have LG C9 with latest 4.80 firmware, Arc in 5.1.2, PS4 Pro, Apple TV 4K, Samsung 4K Blu ray.

PS4Pro using bitstream (Dolby digital) works fine with surround. I haven’t noticed a lag, but it sounds like others may have. PCM does not work for surround.

Atmos works fine with Blu Ray, Apple TV and TV’s apps.

The main thing that doesn’t work is DD5.1 from Apple TV unless I change audio output to force Dolby digital, but if I do that then I don’t get Atmos.

Personally, if I could downgrade the LG firmware and wait for Sonos’ support for LPCM I would.

I have LG C9 with latest 4.80 firmware, Arc in 5.1.2, PS4 Pro, Apple TV 4K, Samsung 4K Blu ray.

PS4Pro using bitstream (Dolby digital) works fine with surround. I haven’t noticed a lag, but it sounds like others may have. PCM does not work for surround.

Atmos works fine with Blu Ray, Apple TV and TV’s apps.

The main thing that doesn’t work is DD5.1 from Apple TV unless I change audio output to force Dolby digital, but if I do that then I don’t get Atmos.

Personally, if I could downgrade the LG firmware and wait for Sonos’ support for LPCM I would.

It would appear the only LG owners who shouldn’t upgrade are the ones using the ATV4k as their main content box then right? Since not owning the ATV I could upgrade the firmware and not lose anything that I am enjoying right now? 

I did the new 4.80.03 update on my LG65OLEDC9. I right off the bat lost the center channel on the PS4 pro. It turns out the PS4 now recognizes the TV can decode 7.1 PCM. This issue  can be addressed easily by entering the main PS4 audio settings. The moment you open the audio settings it will mention how this device can support 7.1. You need to force it to 5.1 using the checkbox on that screen. Then change the output from PCM to Dolby. Everything works great. I just go into the game settings (last of us part 2) and make sure the audio home theater is set to 5.1 in game. 

I’m not sure this can be answered, but I will ask out of curiosity.  When Sonos delivers the LPCM update, will the Arc be able to receive 7.1 PCM? Or will we still need to force 5.1? 

Best practices: Because you can not down grade these updates...

1. Never allow automatic software download on a SmartTV.
  2. Before doing an update, research to see if there are any serious problems with the update.

Wrestling with this issue all day on an Apple Tv4k and LG oled C9 with the new Arc. 

makes no sense at all to have to turn Dolby Atmos on and off based upon what I’m watching. Why in the world would Sonos release the arc with no support for LPCM? Ughhh… pretty shocked. 

To simplify the only current work around is to force the Apple TV to output Dolby digital audio, and then enable Dolby Atmos when specifically watching a Dolby Atmos enabled movie. 

Seems like the Arc can only recognize 2 channel PCM and not multichannel PCM.