Low Volume- Sonos Arc

Userlevel 2

All of a sudden, the volume has become low on my sonos. Normally, I listen at around 20-25 but now to hear the same level, I have to increase up to 40-45. Started noticing this after the software update. Happens both with Samsung Q8FN native apps and Apple TV4K

84 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

I’m assuming - but maybe someone from Sonos will confirm - this is so that the complaints that “the minimum volume was too low” can be marked as “resolved”.

Badge

I have noticed this also. Previously had a beam which I would rarely need the volume to be above 30 percent. Now with the arc, I need it to at least 50 percent. I have an LG Oled c9. I wasn't sure if it was the arc that was faulty or just had less volume then the beam but double the price of the beam this can not be the case. Hopefully this will be fixed soon with an update.

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

I have found this issue also, I find myself constantly increasing the volume for low, or mid volume. But all of sudden the Highs are too loud!

Badge

In a way I'm glad it's not just me experiencing this. I thought I was going mad. 

Userlevel 2

Does anyone else have this problem with the Arc? The volume sounds so low even though I have disabled the night mode and turned on loudness. I have to push the speaker level up to 30 to hear anything 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Does anyone else have this problem with the Arc? The volume sounds so low even though I have disabled the night mode and turned on loudness. I have to push the speaker level up to 30 to hear anything 

I don’t think it’s just Arc-related: I’ve noticed it on my Playbase, One’s and Play:5. As I say, I suspect it’s to resolve the “minimum volume is too loud at night” concerns that some owners have expressed.

Dear Sonos:    Can you confirm whether this is the case, please?

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

All of a sudden, the volume has become low on my sonos. Normally, I listen at around 20-25 but now to hear the same level, I have to increase up to 40-45. Started noticing this after the software update. Happens both with Samsung Q8FN native apps and Apple TV4K

Me too I thought it was only me, volume I have to put very high too

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Mine too volume you have to put high up yo 60 sometimes, I thought it was the only one

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

It hasn’t been any updates about the low volume on arc 

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Yes I would like to know too!!

I'm getting the same on mine too. Right now I'm listening at almost 90% with my YouTube Music account and it's not that high... My old Samsung sound bar sounds much higher than this.. If they don't get this fixed somehow I think I'll return it.

We had the same issue and just resolved it. On the mobile app, we had set the volume limit to 85% bc my daughter turned the volume up so loud one day.  As soon as we changed that to 100% (basically turned off the limit) all went back to normal. Problem solved for us!  Give it a try?

Exactly the same issue here, just happened about a week or so ago, I need my volume turned up to around 70 for it to be quiet but audible, given up trying to resolve the issue and just turned the speaker off altogether, back to TV speakers now.

This thing is just to glitchy, with Google assistant randomly poping up for no reason, and always having to do restarts for volume dropping out completely,  I have another post on here regarding the poor Bass, fed up now, overall I've been quite disappointed with my Sonos ARC, time to see if I can return it for a refund.

Any update on this? To watch tv I have it at close to 70% anything below 45% I can’t hear anything. Never had this issue with my playbar. Would be nice if Sonos acknowledged this issue. 

Any update on this? To watch tv I have it at close to 70% anything below 45% I can’t hear anything. Never had this issue with my playbar. Would be nice if Sonos acknowledged this issue. 

I have mine resolved for now, and not altogether sure if this was the correct fix, but it allows me to have my ARC at round 30/35% for normal listening again. 

I first went down the chat route with Sonos, the rep had me unplug everything and plug it all back in again with no improvement, I did try and tell her I'd already tried that numerous times myself...anywho.

She ran a diagnostic her end and reported that my system was not showing any issue, but with her help I did at least narrow things down a little, using Spotify and Satellite TV my volume seemed to be ok, although Netflix and YouTube the volume was terrible and needed to be cranked 70% and over....don't ask me why.

My fix was this, I went into the audio settings on my Sony Bravia TV, selected "Audio Output" then scrolled down to a setting called, "Digital Audio Out Volume" I have no idea what its function is or if it had anything to do with my issue, but it was at 50%, so I took it all the way up to max....and to my surprise, that did it.

I have mine resolved for now, and not altogether sure if this was the correct fix, but it allows me to have my ARC at round 30/35% for normal listening again. 

I first went down the chat route with Sonos, the rep had me unplug everything and plug it all back in again with no improvement, I did try and tell her I'd already tried that numerous times myself...anywho.

She ran a diagnostic her end and reported that my system was not showing any issue, but with her help I did at least narrow things down a little, using Spotify and Satellite TV my volume seemed to be ok, although Netflix and YouTube the volume was terrible and needed to be cranked 70% and over....don't ask me why.

My fix was this, I went into the audio settings on my Sony Bravia TV, selected "Audio Output" then scrolled down to a setting called, "Digital Audio Out Volume" I have no idea what its function is or if it had anything to do with my issue, but it was at 50%, so I took it all the way up to max....and to my surprise, that did it.

Thank you for the quick response. At work now but will try this later. Interesting though I have a Sony Bravia A8F and have read other forums that a lot of these issues are with Sony… but who knows. I’ve looked at other TVs but this one is only 2 yrs old and hate to upgrade again in such a short period of time. 

Thanks again! 

I notice a week ago volume suddenly lesser from before. I installed mine like 3 months ago. Now 50% volume is like 20-30% only. Big difference what’s is the issue from Sonos. Please update us.

I’ve tried everything from settings within the TV, settings in the Sonos app and when I use my Apple TV the settings within there...still horrible. I’m better off using the Sonos Move… 

never had any issues with my playbar and extremely disappointed in the ARC. 

I also have this problem i sometimes run my arc on 100% vollume i also called the help desk and they say try use the optical port instead of hdmi but find this weird because it came with this cable and you want to be able to do dolby atmos and with optical this is not possible.

Guess there is still no updates on resolving this anoying problem

I also have this problem i sometimes run my arc on 100% vollume i also called the help desk and they say try use the optical port instead of hdmi but find this weird because it came with this cable and you want to be able to do dolby atmos and with optical this is not possible.

Guess there is still no updates on resolving this anoying problem

Edit: There aint even a optical port so its still not solved

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi folks,

Thank you for reaching out to the Sonos community. I appreciate you for bringing this concern to us. Let me help you with this.

Please check this community thread which may help you with the issue. Also, you may try to perform the troubleshooting steps below and see if it works for you.

1. Unplug the HDMI cable from the Sonos Arc and the TV. 
2. Unplug the power cable from your TV, the Sonos Arc, and any connected audio source (such as a cable box or video game console). Wait 30 seconds before you plug them back in.
2. Reconnect the HDMI cable to your TV and the Sonos Arc. Inspect the HDMI cable to ensure it’s not bent or kinked and check to see that it’s fully inserted into both devices.
3. Update the TV’s software (if available)
4. Disable eARC on the TV.
5. Adjust the group audio delay - Settings > System > Tap your Sonos Beam > Group Audio Delay and then choose a delay option.
6. Check for Sonos update - Settings > System > Check for updates.

If you have any questions about this. We and the community are always here to help.

Yes all brand new but have to have it over 50% for normal listening..  Lg b9 TV eARC. 

Userlevel 2

Ironically, we have the exact opposite issue.  Amazon Fire TV Cube (2nd generation) connected to a Samsung Q9FN series TV, connected to the ARC via HDMI (from the TV to the ARC).  

The ARC is bonded to a SUB and an AMP for surround.

For all the content from the Cube, the room volume has to stay at a VERY low level (10% or less).  This results in music playing very low (before raising the volume) and the digital assistant volume to be so low that it’s almost inaudible.

Hi folks,

Thank you for reaching out to the Sonos community. I appreciate you for bringing this concern to us. Let me help you with this.

Please check this community thread which may help you with the issue. Also, you may try to perform the troubleshooting steps below and see if it works for you.

1. Unplug the HDMI cable from the Sonos Arc and the TV. 
2. Unplug the power cable from your TV, the Sonos Arc, and any connected audio source (such as a cable box or video game console). Wait 30 seconds before you plug them back in.
2. Reconnect the HDMI cable to your TV and the Sonos Arc. Inspect the HDMI cable to ensure it’s not bent or kinked and check to see that it’s fully inserted into both devices.
3. Update the TV’s software (if available)
4. Disable eARC on the TV.
5. Adjust the group audio delay - Settings > System > Tap your Sonos Beam > Group Audio Delay and then choose a delay option.
6. Check for Sonos update - Settings > System > Check for updates.

If you have any questions about this. We and the community are always here to help.

Why would we disable eARC on the TV? Doesn’t this allow for Atmos output?

I had the same problem and, for my case, I figured it out why this happened. I lowered the limit volume of my sonos arc, through the app, from 100% to 50%, I didn't remember I have done that, so I reset the limit volume to 100% and all was back to normal. Hope this can help.