Lost surround and sub ( after update ?)

Userlevel 3

Hi 

I don’t know if my issue is related to the 14.6 update but I noticed today that I had no sound from my surround (play 3) and my sub (Gen 2), only the Arc is working They are still present in the app under the my System view but now sound which every sources

When I reboot each of them, the sound comes back temporary, but when I switch to another source or audio format, thé Sound disappears again. Tried several times, same behavior

Thanks for your help

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1604 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

I upgraded from a Playbar to the Arc on Monday and have a sub and play 1 surrounds. I use an Apple TV 4K first Gen as a primary device through an LG C1 TV. Arc is connected to the TV via eArc. All was good until Wednesday when I plugged in a second Apple TV 4K on another input and started experiencing this issue as others have described. I think it may be due to CEC when 2 Dolby Mat Atmos devices are connected. I unplugged the second Apple TV and all is good so far. If things keep working for a couple days, I’ll turn the second Apple TV back on with CEC disabled to see if it remains stable.  

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Seems like there is more discussion and other people with similar issues on this new reddit thread: 

https://www.reddit.com/r/sonos/comments/uf7i5f/issue_with_sonos_ones_sub_3_desyncing_from_arc/

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

Some more Reddit threads 

https://reddit.com/r/sonos/comments/ufk022/sub_gen_3_disconnects_randomly_from_arc/

https://reddit.com/r/sonos/comments/ufix24/how_to_downgrade_firmware/

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Occured Again, and now, after rebooting the Arc, surround and sub worked for few seconds, and no sound again.

I ve checked ARP when rebooting the ARC :

• ARC powered off : no ARP resolution (host down) for each devices
  • ARC booting : ARP is working (no sound) and each speaker has his own mac 
  • ARC booted : ARP is changed, all IPs are linked to the Arc Mac address

I think this is the normal behavior when creating a surround configuration.

I then removed surrounds and sub from the Home theatre configuration and add them again. it’s now working.

If the problem go back, I’ll contact the Sonos support

thanks again

The issue will re-occur again, no matter how well your network is tweaked. There is an underlying problem that is causing Surrounds and Sub to go silent or out of synch all together. Rebooting temporarily resolves the issue but it re-occurs. Then, if you let it sit as is, it tries to reconnect and produces “out of synch” state wherein the surrounds and sub are 1-2 seconds behind the Arc. 

Pretty disappointing on Sonos’s part where the Tshoot engineers would continously point the issue to be with your network which isnt the case here as it isnt possible for so many users across the globe with different ISP’s to make changes on their network to break something up.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Edit, May 4th: Hi all, I was a bit premature with posting the original best answer message in this topic. While we have been investigating Topilouf’s issue, we have not seen an increase in surround audio errors and do not see anything that suggests that you all will experience the same issue following the recent update. If you do experience issues while listening to your Sonos system, we always encourage you to contact us and we will do our utmost to support you.

Hi All

Just to let you all know, we have now identified an issue whereby some Sonos Home Theatre satellites will experience audio interruptions after the latest 14.6 update.

We are investigating the situation and hope to resolve it soon. At present, we have no further information to share.

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

I may have a temporary solution for those who use the Apple TV. Since I deactivated the adaptation of the image to the content, I no longer have any loss of Sub and surrounds … 

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

false hope, it started again...

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

I may have a temporary solution for those who use the Apple TV. Since I deactivated the adaptation of the image to the content, I no longer have any loss of Sub and surrounds … 

It’s a software defect, you would need to wait for Sonos to provide a permanent fix.

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

Hi All

Just to let you all know, we have now identified an issue whereby some Sonos Home Theatre satellites will experience audio interruptions after the latest 14.6 update.

We are investigating the situation and hope to resolve it soon. At present, we have no further information to share.

I hope this helps.

Thank you for the update! 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Thanks for the update!  

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Ahh, good to see it’s a software issue. 

I just moved and in my new place I setup my Sonos system fully wired. Ethernet to the surrounds (buried in a raceway), Ethernet to the sub, etc. Part of the setup involved updating to 14.6 and while everything worked, I would start getting “out of sync” sound on the rears and odd drop outs. 

I disconnected all of the ethernet connections and it -appears- to have corrected itself but sometimes I can hear odd sync again in the rears (background music in a show is “phasey” sounding as the rears are clearly out of sync).

It’s definitely more stable with everything in wm:0 / sonosnet but it absolutely shouldn’t be more stable than everything wired via ethernet with the wireless connectivity turned off. 

Patiently waiting for 14.6.1, I suppose.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Another possible temporary solution. I unplugged all HDMI connections and everything from power at the wall and sequentially plugged things back in and powered on.  I’ve been stable for 48 hours with no dropouts. Process was power router, power tv, connect Sonos Arc to tv (HDMI) and power on arc, power on sub, power on surrounds, connect Apple TV to tv (HDMI) and power on. I haven’t connected any other sources yet. I’ve watched fairly heavily for 48 hours with all kinds of content on Apple TV and haven’t had a single drop out. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

FWIW I have 2 sonos arc systems in my house:

living room:

Sony A9G OLED

Apple TV used for 100% of content, no other sources

Sonos Arc, 2 Play:1s, 2 Subs

frequently experience the issue while switching between different content formats (LPCM 5.1, Stereo PCM, etc)

temp workaround: I’ve turned eARC off on my TV and set my Apple TV to output everything as Dolby Digital. with this set up I have not encountered the issue. I lose atmos this way but I can live with it until its fixed

office/game room:

LG CX OLED

TV apps, PS5, Xbox Series X, Nintendo Switch

Sonos arc, 2 play:1s, 1 sub

I have not experienced the issue at all on this system curiously however I rarely switch frequently between different formats, its usually just long gaming sessions so there wouldn’t be much switching

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

2 years of no issues and now having to power cycle the arc once a day since new update. Not getting sound drop outs, but getting a audio delay of 1/2 seconds on my rears. 

Which seems to be a completely different issue than the one addressed by Corry above. What did Sonos say about it when you submitted a diagnostic and called in to talk to them?

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

@peterbault 

I tried your solution, disabling Earc and playing everything in dolby digital on the apple tv, but the problem still comes back. there will be no solution until Sonos releases an update that fixes this problem.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Which seems to be a completely different issue than the one addressed by Corry above. What did Sonos say about it when you submitted a diagnostic and called in to talk to them?

Haven't submitted one yet, been away for bank holiday weekend. Will do it when it next goes. I know it's the update though, as nothings changed my side and also on some Facebook Sonos groups other people are having the same issue after the update. 

I wonder if this is related to my FRONT and SURROUND LEFT/RIGHT reversing. (i.e. a plane flies overhead, it doesn’t sound like it’s flying to the rear, it’s flying to the front instead). very annoying. hope this all gets fixed soon. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @spoutykk79 

Does your reported issue relate to this thread?

If so, please message me the details described in the initial post.

Thanks.

Badge

Hi All

I hope this helps.

I don’t know what are you waiting for instead doing rollback to the previous stable version? If you don’t have such “feature” built into your update system (and it should be obvious by now that you should), just release previous version as next point update. Whatever the reason, restoring functionality immediately should be your top priority, not waiting for a fix that may or may not be properly tested and actually work instead breaking more things.

Userlevel 1

Hi All

I hope this helps.

I don’t know what are you waiting for instead doing rollback to the previous stable version? If you don’t have such “feature” built into your update system (and it should be obvious by now that you should), just release previous version as next point update. Whatever the reason, restoring functionality immediately should be your top priority, not waiting for a fix that may or may not be properly tested and actually work instead breaking more things.

I couldn’t agree more! I’ve paid thousands of dollars for my setup and now I can’t use it. 

You (Sonos) has made my setup unusable. Your priority should be rolling back the update, so my product can be used as intended!

I honestly think this is unacceptable that nothing has been done for almost 10 days!

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

totally agree with you, this is unacceptable from Sonos! the worst is that we will not even have the right to compensation...

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi all,

I was a bit premature with posting the original best answer message in this topic. While we have been investigating Topilouf’s issue, we have not seen an increase in surround audio errors and do not see anything that suggests that you all will experience the same issue following the recent update. If you do experience issues while listening to your Sonos system, we always encourage you to contact us and we will do our utmost to support you.

Apologies for any confusion caused.

Kind Regards

Corry P

Userlevel 1

Hi Corry,

but that can not be serious, reddit is full of error messages as well as several hifi forums on the net. What actually all or most messages have in common is that the problems occurred after the last update. 

Hi all,

I was a bit premature with posting the original best answer message in this topic. While we have been investigating Topilouf’s issue, we have not seen an increase in surround audio errors and do not see anything that suggests that you all will experience the same issue following the recent update. If you do experience issues while listening to your Sonos system, we always encourage you to contact us and we will do our utmost to support you.

Apologies for any confusion caused.

Kind Regards

Corry P

Hi Corry,

the problems with the failure of the rear speakers and the sub are only present since the update to the 14.6. Even if you have no idea about the matter, it is clear that it has to do with the update! Various forums are full of this topic!

Regards