Lost surround and sub ( after update ?)

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1604 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

It’s been working very stable for me since yesterday after hours of watching without a single drop, but two people already said that it didn’t help them so I don’t know what to think. I’m gonna continue testing.

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

It’s been working very stable for me since yesterday after hours of watching without a single drop, but two people already said that it didn’t help them so I don’t know what to think. I’m gonna continue testing.

It’s frustrating with the nature of this issue you can get a false sense that you fixed it for days and then suddenly it’s back so even I’m still skeptical. I usually have been able to reproduce it by now though so I feel better 

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

@peterbault did you install ‘Sonos Voice’ on the arc itself of the rears?

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

@peterbault did you install ‘Sonos Voice’ on the arc itself of the rears?

the arc 

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

alright folks I’m boarding a flight and will be on here less for the next week. Good luck to those trying the voice control workaround 

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

alright folks I’m boarding a flight and will be on here less for the next week. Good luck to those trying the voice control workaround 

Have a good trip! Speak to you in a week.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

We’ll, guess that didn’t work for me;

June 2nd

added Sonos Voice as a possible fix

🔌 Power cycle

(No issue on system yet due to previous power cycle and surround removals)

System before adding surrounds;

System after adding surrounds;

🔌 Power cycle

True play Tuning

✅TV audio ok

❌ Switch to AppleTV, watch Disney+ Obi and surrounds popping distorted or quiet static

. Turn surrounds on and off temporarily fixes issue

Userlevel 1

Sadly this didnt fix it for me at least. Enabled sonos voice control and rears and sub are still occasionally dropping.

Doesn’t matter if i play ps5, watch netflix on the tv app or just tv.

LG CX, earc on, tried passthrough and auto on sound. No apple tv.

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

@Chris85 Just out of interest (as a comparison) can you send your Matrix Chart?

http://XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX:1400/support/review

Also, assume you did a full restart of all devices and brought them back online one at a time?

Userlevel 1

@Brad Porter 

I did do a full restart. What’s the Matrix Chart? Can try doing it tomorrow, too late now.

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Its a chart showing signal strength between your speakers. (Example below).

To get this you should:

1. Obtain your ARC IP address from your Sonos App (About My System).
  2. Open a web browser and type http://XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX:1400/support/review (where XXX = your ARC IP address)
  3. When the menu appears on the web page, select Network Matrix

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

June 2nd 14.8

🔌 Power cycle

🔌 Power cycle

True play Tuning

✅TV audio ok

❌ Switch to AppleTV, watch Disney+ Obi and surrounds popping distorted or quiet static (Obi says >B< Dolby Digital on TV and Dolby 5.1 on Sonos App)

✅ Turn surrounds on and off temporarily fixes issue

Positive takeaway; I found a new surround sound test scene; Obi Wan S01E03 3:00, lots of special sounds going around & around the room

Mod edit: Spam filter mistook diagnostic numbers as telephone numbers. Post restored.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

June 2nd 14.8

**Power cycle**

(1210588760)

(1506749761)

**Power cycle**

True play Tuning

☑ TV audio ok

✗ Switch to AppleTV, watch Disney+ Obi and surrounds popping distorted or quiet static (Obi says >B< Dolby Digital on TV and Dolby 5.1 on Sonos App)

☑ Turn surrounds on and off temporarily fixes issue

Positive takeaway; I found a new surround sound test scene; Obi Wan S01E03 3:00, lots of special sounds going around & around the room

Did the sonos assistant and a full reset, worked fine for a while.

But 5 minutes ago it was back. Diagnostics sent to Sonos so lets see…

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Did the sonos assistant and a full reset, worked fine for a while.

But 5 minutes ago it was back. Diagnostics sent to Sonos so lets see…

Sorry to hear that. I am so confused why this so random.

How long was it between the reset and the issue @Laurens2207 ?

Userlevel 2
Badge

Sadly this didnt fix it for me at least. Enabled sonos voice control and rears and sub are still occasionally dropping.

Doesn’t matter if i play ps5, watch netflix on the tv app or just tv.

LG CX, earc on, tried passthrough and auto on sound. No apple tv.

Can you try making sure HDR is off and see if that helps? 

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Not sure why I’m getting posts moderator blocked? Been trying to send a big breakdown of an update with causes/solutions but it’s not letting me. 
TLDR: Sonos Voice issue didn’t fix things, power cycled several times at every stage, diagnostics sent. Still an #ExpensivePaperweight, currently trying Floris’ Sony ‘auto2’ and ‘Dolby digital’ workaround as a low quality sound fix.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

If enabling sonos assistant didn’t help you, try to enable google assistant instead and see how it goes. I’m with google since yesterday and I still can’t replicate the issue no matter what I do.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Installed the Sonos assistant yesterday at 5pm and power cycled everything including tv - no dropouts when I went to bed at 1:30. To be fair, I couldn’t be a couch potato all night, so I did step away a few times, but when it’s dropped out before and things “sometimes” come back on later, it’s usually not right (echo, one surround or sub missing, etc.). Things were just working right still when I shut it off last night.

I was switching channels and apps quite a bit with different audio formats, but not switching inputs. Only thing connected to tv via eArc is the Arc. Only installed the assistant on the Arc, not the Ones.

My wifi satellite is still off, ATV 4k is not connected at all. Just using Roku TV apps and tried Amazon music for the first time.

Came home for lunch today, still working for the hour I was there. Came home tonite, still working so far.

I did mention before that over Memorial Day weekend everything worked from Fri - Sun, then had a dropout on Mon. Had not installed assistant at that point.

Just saying that continued proper function for awhile (as others have mentioned) does not always equate to success, so I’m still holding my breathe on this.

But I’ll keep an eye on it and if it goes south with assistant send report and let them know. Not sure they care anymore...

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

@W Lehmberg tv apps only is certainly the most stable environment for this issue, but the real test is AppleTV or external inputs with format changes. I setup Sonos Voice today and the issue returned immediately testing Tv, Tv Amazon prime/trailer, TV Netflix/trailer, AppleTV YouTube, ATV Netflix/trailer, ATV Prime/TRailer, ATV Disney. The cocktail to force the issue.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

@W Lehmberg tv apps only is certainly the most stable environment for this issue, but the real test is AppleTV or external inputs with format changes. I setup Sonos Voice today and the issue returned immediately testing Tv, Tv Amazon prime/trailer, TV Netflix/trailer, AppleTV YouTube, ATV Netflix/trailer, ATV Prime/TRailer, ATV Disney. The cocktail to force the issue.

I understand - I only meant this is what I am experiencing. I don’t use the ATV 4k that much and have tried it to see if it makes a difference before doing the assistant thing… I am still watching and switching channels on my Roku tv and it has still not crapped out “yet”.

I have had drop outs daily since 14.6 when the Apple TV was disconnected just using Roku tv. That is all I was trying to say. Doesn’t matter if I switched inputs or not, still happened.

Right now it’s still working - I don’t get it but I’m no engineer

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Mine is still stable after watching 2 Dolby Atmos movies and 2 episodes of Stranger Things. It’s definitely the most stable state I’ve had.

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Mine is still stable after watching 2 Dolby Atmos movies and 2 episodes of Stranger Things. It’s definitely the most stable state I’ve had.

I am trying to work out eh connection between Voice Activation and this problem becoming more stable? None of that make any sense to me. Very strange.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

That’s the answer I got after my case was escalated to an L3 engineer:

I'm sorry to hear of the ongoing troubles reported in regard to your Home Theater system. I'll be more than happy to assist and work towards a resolution. 

I understand that you are encountering audio Satellite interruptions, would this be correct? Reviewing the most recent diagnostic, I do see several errors just prior to its submission that would relate to audio interruptions. Digging deeper, the interruptions seem to relate directly to the incoming signal shared from the Tv. I understand we have also ruled out several of the Tv sources and troubles persist.

As a next step, could you confirm the following for me:

Do audio interruptions occur if Arc is connected to the Tv via the HDMI to Optical Adaptor? 

Next, could I ask you to recreate the troubles and capture a diagnostic within a minute or so of any interruption? 

Moving forward, I'd also like to capture some information on the Tv itself. Could you confirm the following at your convenience:

- Full Tv Model number - generally located on the back of the TV or by navigating to the TV menu. ( Just to clarify in the case notes I have the information that your  TV is LG CX that's all, while it will be better to have the Full Tv Model please) 

- The Software/Firmware version - is generally found in the TV menu under Settings > All settings > General > About this TV 

- Current audio output settings

Next up, could you confirm how the source devices are connected to the TV? HDMI, DVI, Component Video connections, etc.

If you could also let me know if you're using any HDMI switches or other adaptors that would be great. 

From here we can review to confirm the best next steps. 

Many thanks in advance.

Best Regards,

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

That’s the answer I got after my case was escalated to an L3 engineer:

I'm sorry to hear of the ongoing troubles reported in regard to your Home Theater system. I'll be more than happy to assist and work towards a resolution. 

I understand that you are encountering audio Satellite interruptions, would this be correct? Reviewing the most recent diagnostic, I do see several errors just prior to its submission that would relate to audio interruptions. Digging deeper, the interruptions seem to relate directly to the incoming signal shared from the Tv. I understand we have also ruled out several of the Tv sources and troubles persist.

As a next step, could you confirm the following for me:

Do audio interruptions occur if Arc is connected to the Tv via the HDMI to Optical Adaptor? 

Next, could I ask you to recreate the troubles and capture a diagnostic within a minute or so of any interruption? 

Moving forward, I'd also like to capture some information on the Tv itself. Could you confirm the following at your convenience:

- Full Tv Model number - generally located on the back of the TV or by navigating to the TV menu. ( Just to clarify in the case notes I have the information that your  TV is LG CX that's all, while it will be better to have the Full Tv Model please) 

- The Software/Firmware version - is generally found in the TV menu under Settings > All settings > General > About this TV 

- Current audio output settings

Next up, could you confirm how the source devices are connected to the TV? HDMI, DVI, Component Video connections, etc.

If you could also let me know if you're using any HDMI switches or other adaptors that would be great. 

From here we can review to confirm the best next steps. 

Many thanks in advance.

Best Regards,

Although its great to hear back from Sonos, I am not sure there is anything new in this response. Just them asking for more information that some of us have already been through - or about to go through. 

I note the section when talking about the signal coming in from the TV. It pretty mad that LG, Panasonic and Sony seem to all be having the same problem from around the same time of April.