Lost surround and sub ( after update ?)

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1604 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Just to add to the HDMI handshake possiblities; I have an HDMI splitter in one HDMI input, which has always worked flawlessly; and since update 14.6 sometimes turning the AppleTV on will ALSO power on the PS5 and vice versa. Maybe the ARC is somehow involved and it’s leading to these problems? When the ‘dropped subs/audi issues’ are happening, I also notice the TV’s top down menu will sometime flash into view uncontrollably as if sources are constantly changing, even if they’re not (displaying information about the resolution/sound/input)

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

Did my usual 30 minute session of trying to break it again. Still working fine 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it happened to me like 5 minutes into Stranger Things. Everything came crackling back in a second or two but now subs and surrounds are a fraction of a second out of sync. Sonos Voice Assistant installed, then rebooted the whole system. :( 

Did you power cycle after you enabled the voice control? 

Yup I did. After that I turned off Dolby Vision on the AppleTV and no drops for 70 straight minutes of Stranger Things. Kept Atmos on this time. 

Did you check if the assistant was enabled for sure?

Yeah I did, I was using it to set the volume and even tested it with turning my TV on and off before power cycling. Once it was back up used the voice assistant to set the volume again. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Just to add to the HDMI handshake possiblities; I have an HDMI splitter in one HDMI input, which has always worked flawlessly; and since update 14.6 sometimes turning the AppleTV on will ALSO power on the PS5 and vice versa. Maybe the ARC is somehow involved and it’s leading to these problems? When the ‘dropped subs/audi issues’ are happening, I also notice the TV’s top down menu will sometime flash into view uncontrollably as if sources are constantly changing, even if they’re not (displaying information about the resolution/sound/input)

The TV menu popping up sounds very similar to my TV’s Dolby Vision notification popping up. It almost certainly has something to do with changing outputs, maybe some faulty implementation of QMS in HDMI 2.1?

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

@peterbault any other Tv/AppleTV settings different to before 14.6 or are you back to your normal setup? (Ie turning off CEC, Atmos, forcing Dolby not + on Apple TV etc)

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

@peterbault any other Tv/AppleTV settings different to before 14.6 or are you back to your normal setup? (Ie turning off CEC, Atmos, forcing Dolby not + on Apple TV etc)

I’m back to my pre 14.6 settings. eARC on. Apple TV audio settings on auto. CEC on 

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Been nearly 2 weeks now with no issues for me 

Renabled cec yesterday when I added svc I had it disabled due to the lg tv renaming the hdmi inputs to dvd player no matter what was connected, apparently it's a known issue with lg and apple tv 

All working since I made changes guess I will put up with the renaming issues so I can use the  voice assistant

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

I’m back to my pre 14.6 settings. eARC on. Apple TV audio settings on auto. CEC on 

Still stable since you enabled sonos assistant?

Userlevel 2
Badge

An observation in regards to the possibility of this being a voice control software issue (CEC or related), I only have 2 Sonos speakers capable of voice control: the Arc and the Move.  The only speaker I have noticed having complete drop outs is the Move when I add it to the Arc group.  Do others that have this issue have other speakers in the main Arc group that have voice control capabilities (enabled or not)?

My setup is Arc + Sub (Gen 1) + 2 Play:3s.  I will sometimes add a Move to the group for listening in the kitchen.  It has the drop out problem.  Interestingly, I have 2 original Play:1s in there in stereo that do NOT drop out when added to the Arc group.  That is our current workaround. 

I just enabled Sonos voice control on the Arc and will test today to see if it makes a difference.

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

Yup. I’m not ready to call it though I still haven’t really extensively tested. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

My Panasonic has always done this as I have AppleTV’s Match Frame Rate and Match Dynamic Range. So as I move between different formats, I see HDMI announcement pop up and also whether its Dolby Vision etc. I was seeing this before 14.6 so I think its my TV’s expected behaviour. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

If this carry’s on doing well, I may well need to change my name to Monkeys Uncle. 🙄

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

If this carry’s on doing well, I may well need to change my name to Monkeys Uncle. 🙄

Who knows maybe it’s just a fluke. You recently had no issues for like a week right? 

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Can anyone confirm to me what network frequencies Sonos use when you have an Arc, 2 x Subs and 2 x Surrounds + Boost.  

I know that there is a mix of 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz (Some of which is internal) but cannot work out exactly what is using what…..

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Who knows maybe it’s just a fluke. You recently had no issues for like a week right? 

Its not been 100% but is has (by magic or voodoo) been more stable.

I have had one drop out BUT that is one over the course of many days when it was easily done within 30-45 minutes before. I also experienced a new symptom during that drop out where the subs were working well, but both rears were not. I tried switching around to different films/formats and confirmed the rears were defo gone but the subs were not. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

For my latest experiment, I have playing with my network - even though these settings have not changed and been working for a very long time.

I have disabled 2.4Ghz 20/40Mhz Coexistence in the vain attempt that it might be hopping between bands and causing some disruption. Will keep this off and play for a few days. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

Can anyone confirm to me what network frequencies Sonos use when you have an Arc, 2 x Subs and 2 x Surrounds + Boost.  

I know that there is a mix of 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz (Some of which is internal) but cannot work out exactly what is using what…..

If using your own wifi then arc uses 2.4ghz to connect to the network and uses 5ghz to connect to bonded speakers. If using sonosnet then the arc uses 2.4ghz to connect to bonded speakers 

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

If using your own wifi then arc uses 2.4ghz to connect to the network and uses 5ghz to connect to bonded speakers. If using sonosnet then the arc uses 2.4ghz to connect to bonded speakers 

OK, so I am using a Boost wired into the Router and the ‘About My System’ is showing WM:0.  So I guess I am using SonosNet and the rest is using the 2.4Ghz frequency to communicate.  

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

OK, so I am using a Boost wired into the Router and the ‘About My System’ is showing WM:0.  So I guess I am using SonosNet and the rest is using the 2.4Ghz frequency to communicate.  

That’s my understanding yeah 

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

@peterbault on the 2.4Ghz, is the Sonos creating its own network or is it utilising my own Wi-Fi network. (If that makes sense)

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

@peterbault on the 2.4Ghz, is the Sonos creating its own network or is it utilising my own Wi-Fi network. (If that makes sense)

I’m no expert on the network aspect but I believe it creates its own network. You can even change the channel in the app 

Both.  Sort of.  At the IP level, your Sonos devices are still using DHCP from your router.  At the communications level, they are using a private wireless mesh network over 2.4 GHz.

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Hi

I have the same issue.  How do you enable the assistant?  I am in the UK if that makes a difference.

thanks

Josh

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Hi

I have the same issue.  How do you enable the assistant?  I am in the UK if that makes a difference.

thanks

Josh

It's available in the UK.

Follow these instructions:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/5088?language=en_US

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

for anyone trying the voice assistant as a possible workaround be sure to power cycle your system after you enable it just for good measure