Lost surround and sub ( after update ?)

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1604 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Trying this too. Didn’t have voice anything before. Just installed Sonos voice on the arc. Powered everything off for 10 minutes or so. We’ll see what happens. Not changing inputs, just different apps, audio formats.

Not holding my breathe, but who knows. I didn’t have a dropout from Fri thru Sun last weekend (blind luck), but on Memorial Day it did finally happen.

Here’s hoping...

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

I really don’t want to jinx it but this would explain why seemingly a lot of users do not experience the issue and they obviously have made changes related to voice control in the run up to the new voice assistant so if there was a bug/regression it could be in that code path

Userlevel 2
Badge

I really don’t want to jinx it but this would explain why seemingly a lot of users do not experience the issue and they obviously have made changes related to voice control in the run up to the new voice assistant so if there was a bug/regression it could be in that code path

Going to install the Sonos Assistant and try it tonight, really hope this is it!!!!

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

Going to install the Sonos Assistant and try it tonight, really hope this is it!!!!

be sure to do a power cycle after you enable it just to rule out any ghosts from a previous occurrence of the issue

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

not sure I understand how if the sonos voice is for music playback, how that affects the surround issues (movies, tv, etc.) when there were none before 14.6 update (with the speaker firmware I’m assuming).

but keeping fingers crossed :)

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

not sure I understand how if the sonos voice is for music playback, how that affects the surround issues (movies, tv, etc.) when there were none before 14.6 update (with the speaker firmware I’m assuming).

but keeping fingers crossed :)

the theory is that there is some kind of bug related to HDMI-CEC that could cause an exception and break how the Arc communicates to the bonded speakers. when using a voice assistant additional HDMI-CEC commands are enabled (turn on/off tv, etc) which might avoid the issue for some reason

they’ve been working on substantial changes getting the new sonos voice control ready, so it stands to reason if a potential regression occurred it could be related to that and the timing lines up with the recent updates

if this is in fact the case it would at least help Sonos narrow down where the issue is and get a fix out

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

gotcha - thanks for explaining that. I’m no expert on this stuff :)

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

I wasn’t either until 14.6 came out 

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

I wasn’t either until 14.6 came out 

lol - I’ve been switching apps, Hulu tv to Disney+, Paramount+, Amazon Prime… so far so good. 

man I hope this works

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Do you also sometimes hear dialogue from the rears instead from the arc?

This has happened to me twice. Total mis-mapping of channels. Both times I was watching a trailer, and both times with sub and surrounds dropped out when I rewatched the trailer a second time

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Ok I’m just curious about something else. For anyone experiencing the issue, do you have a voice assistant set up on your system? 

I do not.

Me neither

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Are voice assistants not available outside the US? I’ll be happy for you all if that fixes it but it’ll sting if that fix is unavailable to me. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

Are voice assistants not available outside the US? I’ll be happy for you all if that fixes it but it’ll sting if that fix is unavailable to me. 

Hopefully if this is the case this will help Sonos engineers narrow down and get a fix out sooner 

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Hopefully if this is the case this will help Sonos engineers narrow down and get a fix out sooner 

All good, had to uninstall and reinstall the S2 app to make the voice assistant option appear. I had already lost sub and surrounds when I added the assistant. Didn’t automatically come back but I’ll reboot everything as soon as nobody’s watching

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Using a Arc SL.....so no voice assistant available and have been experiencing the sub drop.

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

Using a Arc SL.....so no voice assistant available and have been experiencing the sub drop.

Ah I didn’t think of the SL models that sucks if this is in fact the issue. Hopefully they can get it fixed ASAP if they know where to look 

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

Tried to break it again flicking through some content and then scrolling through Netflix. About 30 minutes, still no issues 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it happened to me like 5 minutes into Stranger Things. Everything came crackling back in a second or two but now subs and surrounds are a fraction of a second out of sync. Sonos Voice Assistant installed, then rebooted the whole system. :( 

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it happened to me like 5 minutes into Stranger Things. Everything came crackling back in a second or two but now subs and surrounds are a fraction of a second out of sync. Sonos Voice Assistant installed, then rebooted the whole system. :( 

Did you power cycle after you enabled the voice control? 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Yup I did. After that I turned off Dolby Vision on the AppleTV and no drops for 70 straight minutes of Stranger Things. Kept Atmos on this time. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

Yup I did. After that I turned off Dolby Vision on the AppleTV and no drops for 70 straight minutes of Stranger Things. Kept Atmos on this time. 

Hmm dang sorry it didn’t work out. I’ve still yet to encounter it since enabling. I’ll leave it as is and keep this updated for sure 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hmm dang sorry it didn’t work out. I’ve still yet to encounter it since enabling. I’ll leave it as is and keep this updated for sure 

Honestly if I can make it work with just having Dolby Vision off, I can live with it for now. Just hoping that it’s actually a workaround and I’m not just getting lucky 

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Did you check if the assistant was enabled for sure?

Userlevel 1
Badge

I am like communicating with a Robot or Idiot. Already told the tech support that my entire SONOS products r connected to the Boost. The whole reason why I bought the Boost is such that my sonos system will be connected to the boost dedicated sonos net and not to my wifi. Then this tech support keep asking on my wifi router and settings. Ask me to make changes to my wifi router settings.

Another key thing is that my entire sonos system is working almost flawlessly with the boost until it starts dropping out in Apr this year which is also when the stupid 14.6 patch came out!

The exchange is just going round and round. Pushing the blame to my wifi router instead of their stupid products or SOFTWARE. WELL DONE SONOS! This is the type of quality u provided. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

When this dropout happens (sub) is there a way to tell via the app?

I don’t watch bass heavy stuff that often so I can’t always tell with my dodgy hearing if the dropouts are happening. 

In any case is there an auto update setting I can disable in the app, think once this is confirmed to be fixed hopefully I will like to stay on a firmware that works!