Lost surround and sub ( after update ?)

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1604 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

I just set up “hey sonos” and what's interesting is that it said my sonos needed “an update” to do it so I exited out of the wizard and checked for updates but there was nothing. went back to set up hey sonos did the “update” and there was a spinner with info about the new feature but I’m not sure what the update actually did. it didn’t do the usual thing where the status light blinks orange and white

I just set up “hey sonos” and what's interesting is that it said my sonos needed “an update” to do it so I exited out of the wizard and checked for updates but there was nothing. went back to set up hey sonos did the “update” and there was a spinner with info about the new feature but I’m not sure what the update actually did. it didn’t do the usual thing where the status light blinks orange and white

The update is on the speaker you’re adding Sonos Voice Control (SVC) only, it’s not an entire system firmware update. You have to do the update on every speaker you want to use with SVC, and your system (not sure about specific speaker) won’t stop playing during the update.

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

The update is on the speaker you’re adding Sonos Voice Control (SVC) only, it’s not an entire system firmware update. You have to do the update on every speaker you want to use with SVC, and your system (not sure about specific speaker) won’t stop playing during the update.

interesting thanks for the info. I may try adding it to my problematic system just to see if it inadvertently fixes anything 

interesting thanks for the info. I may try adding it to my problematic system just to see if it inadvertently fixes anything 

It would be shocking it it did.  In fact, for  a HT setup with Sonos Ones (not SL) and Arc/Beam, you have to specify which speaker you want to install SVC, and it appears that only speaker get the firmware update.  In my case, the right rear speaker has SVC, Arc and left rear do not.

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

It would be shocking it it did.  In fact, for  a HT setup with Sonos Ones (not SL) and Arc/Beam, you have to specify which speaker you want to install SVC, and it appears that only speaker get the firmware update.  In my case, the right rear speaker has SVC, Arc and left rear do not.

yup agree I am just desperate at this point

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

@melvimbe i added it to all my speakers 

@melvimbe i added it to all my speakers 

It shouldn’t do that by default though? - it just adds the voice assistant to the one speaker of choice (it defaults to the main HT), although you can go back and add the assistant to the others (surrounds etc.) afterwards. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

@Ken_Griffiths yes I added it to all after initial setup 

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

Ok I’m just curious about something else. For anyone experiencing the issue, do you have a voice assistant set up on your system? 

Userlevel 1

Ok I’m just curious about something else. For anyone experiencing the issue, do you have a voice assistant set up on your system? 

I do not.

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

alright here’s my latest thought, really grasping at straws here

it seems possible that the bug is related to HDMI-CEC and with the launch today of sonos voice control and how you can control your TV somewhat with your voice through sonos through HDMI-CEC it led me to believe that enabling a voice assistant on your sonos system may enable additional HDMI-CEC features that maybe avoids the issue we’ve all been having

the other reason I started thinking this was my 2 different systems, my living room which has the issue, and my office/game room which has never had the issue. I’ve had alexa enabled on my office sonos arc which never experiences this issue but I have never had one set up on my living room arc.

just to give it a shot I’ve enabled the new sonos voice control on my living room sonos arc and power cycled everything for good measure. I spent some time trying to break it and reproduce the issue but so far it has not had a problem. however I have not thoroughly tested this yet so I’ll keep everyone updated. Unfortunately I’m going out of town tomorrow for a week so I won’t update for awhile.

if anyone else wants to try enabling a voice assistant and see if that changes things that would be cool too

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

it seems possible that the bug is related to HDMI-CEC and with the launch today of sonos voice control and how you can control your TV somewhat with your voice through sonos through HDMI-CEC it led me to believe that enabling a voice assistant on your sonos system may enable additional HDMI-CEC features that maybe avoids the issue we’ve all been having

the other reason I started thinking this was my 2 different systems, my living room which has the issue, and my office/game room which has never had the issue. I’ve had alexa enabled on my office sonos arc which never experiences this issue but I have never had one set up on my living room arc.

just to give it a shot I’ve enabled the new sonos voice control on my living room sonos arc and power cycled everything for good measure. I spent some time trying to break it and reproduce the issue but so far it has not had a problem. however I have not thoroughly tested this yet so I’ll keep everyone updated. Unfortunately I’m going out of town tomorrow for a week so I won’t update for awhile.

if anyone else wants to try enabling a voice assistant and see if that changes things that would be cool too

I’m gonna try enabling google assistant. I also never used a voice assistant with my system.

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

I’m gonna try enabling google assistant. I also never used a voice assistant with my system.

Nice. I would power cycle your Sonos system after enabling the voice assistant just to eliminate any ghosts from the issue 

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Nice. I would power cycle your Sonos system after enabling the voice assistant just to eliminate any ghosts from the issue 

Do I need to enable the assistant with the rears too or just with the arc?

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

just arc

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

just arc

On it. Tomorrow I planned on watching some movies so we should know if it worked or not. Very interesting theory though!

Userlevel 2
Badge

Had Google assistent from the get go, enabled Sonos voice today and subsequently had another dropout.

I'm stil thinking this has to do with a Hdmi handshake issue. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

Had Google assistent from the get go, enabled Sonos voice today and subsequently had another dropout.

I'm stil thinking this has to do with a Hdmi handshake issue. 

Maybe google assistant has less commands that control the TV? I feel like I remember reading that somewhere 

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

just scrolled Netflix for about 30 minutes trying to break it with voice enabled. No issue so far 

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

just scrolled Netflix for about 30 minutes trying to break it with voice enabled. No issue so far 

Are you using google or the new assistant?

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

Are you using google or the new assistant?

The new Sonos assistant

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

@peterbault - I actually added Alexa today and SVC, too. I have had a drop out since doing this but to be fair, I did not do a full reboot and have been messing around with my network a lot. I will do this tonight when the kids have gone to bed and get everything on an even playing field. 

If this fixes it, I'll be a Monkeys Uncle. 😀

I just installed the Sonos Assistant after reading the advice here. Did a full power cycle and tested for about 30 minutes. 

• Sonos Radio
  • Airplay music from phone directly to Sonos
  • Play music from Apple tv (Apple Music) - Atmos quality + regular quality
  • Netflix atmos movie
  • Netflix regular movie

Didnt break or drop a single beat! I have my Arc wired with Ethernet (had that since before the problems started).

Didnt have time to test with other apps, will try tomorrow evening if I can break it.

Only annoying thing that happend during the previous testing round is that my tv didnt recognize the Sonos system and just produced sound at one moment. This happens since I bought the tv, its a tv issue (Philips) and I need to power cycle the television for a fix. Happens once or twice a week to me. 

Sparkle of hope; thanks for giving us that Peter!

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

I just installed the Sonos Assistant after reading the advice here. Did a full power cycle and tested for about 30 minutes. 

• Sonos Radio
  • Airplay music from phone directly to Sonos
  • Play music from Apple tv (Apple Music) - Atmos quality + regular quality
  • Netflix atmos movie
  • Netflix regular movie

Didnt break or drop a single beat! I have my Arc wired with Ethernet (had that since before the problems started).

Didnt have time to test with other apps, will try tomorrow evening if I can break it.

Only annoying thing that happend during the previous testing round is that my tv didnt recognize the Sonos system and just produced sound at one moment. This happens since I bought the tv, its a tv issue (Philips) and I need to power cycle the television for a fix. Happens once or twice a week to me. 

Sparkle of hope; thanks for giving us that Peter!

*crosses fingers*

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

now my wife is home watching TV so that's the true test to see if it still breaks