Lost surround and sub ( after update ?)

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1604 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Ya there have definitely been users who get the dropouts on internal tv apps. That’s been leading most of those users to speculate the dropouts are related to audio format changes. What I’m not sure is whether they have any other sources connected. 

I am one of those people. I initially noticed the issue with the internal tv apps but subsequently also noticed the issue on Apple TV 4K as well as cable box. The issues occur even if those third party sources are completely disconnected from the TV i.e. isolation.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Ya there have definitely been users who get the dropouts on internal tv apps. That’s been leading most of those users to speculate the dropouts are related to audio format changes. What I’m not sure is whether they have any other sources connected. 

I am one of those people. I initially noticed the issue with the internal tv apps but subsequently also noticed the issue on Apple TV 4K as well as cable box. The issues occur even if those third party sources are completely disconnected from the TV i.e. isolation.

Thanks. Further question, did you disconnect, reconnect, and reboot everything after you disconnected the external sources?

Userlevel 1

So I’m guessing this still hasn’t been fixed (as of 14.8.1) ?Going crazy over here. Been dealing with random drop outs and ‘stop working so gotta reset everything’ for over a month now on my 5.1 ( arc, sonos ones sls and sub3) system.

it’s so annoying especially since resetting takes a long while. 

Unacceptable for a 2000$+ system. Imagine yout Oled randomly going black all the time. People would be outraged. Just roll back the update until you fix the damn issues? Is that so hard?

This has been my first experience with sonos and honestly it’s a pretty bad one. 

Is it even possible to get a full refund considering the return-to-store 30 days thingy has passed? Considering the hardware isnt working as advertised ? ( Romania here ).

Userlevel 2
Badge

I’ve been experiencing this issues too, I normally don’t post on forums like this but I love my Sonos stuff and this has been such a bummer. I’m running a 2021 Apple TV 4K with LG C9 (and Arc with Sub and surrounds). Not only do I lose the surrounds and sun occasionally/they fall out of sync, but I’ll also lose sound entirely every now and then for 2-3 seconds. Totally takes you out of whatever you’re watching. I have noticed that there are times when the sound cuts out, that the Dolby Vision notification from my TV pops up. It doesn’t happened every time, but that leads me to believe that something somewhere is losing connection for a brief moment and is messing things up. I’ve also noticed that I get the issues most when watching something with Dolby Vision/Atmos. For instance, I’ve been watching Stranger Things and will get weird issues at least 4-5 times throughout and episode. I’ve also been watching Better Call Saul (amazing show by the way) and won’t have any issues for an entire episode at a time. Oddly, I also watched the first two episodes of Obi Wan Kenobi on Disney+ and had 0 issues then too. I’m really hoping a fix is incoming this week, I’m hosting a movie night on Friday. 

I tried to watch Stranger Things with my C9’s built in audio and it’s awful…I’ve been spoiled by my Sonos system and I’m super bummed at what’s been going on. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

@Chris85 @PeterYo Just a reminder, that even if you think others are reporting/diagnosing the issue with Sonos, it will really help if you call Sonso support and log support diagnostic numbers with them directly, as it will make Sonos more aware of the issue and help them hone in on what the issue is. More data will likely mean a quicker fix.

Badge

Had hoped this was fixed but last night I yet again experienced the same problem, rears dead and sub off even though they’re all showing as working in the app. Still with the same odd problem too where you toggle the switch for the sub to off and it actually turns it on. 

The suggested TuneIn workaround did help fix it without powering everything off and on and hoping for the best. I just played Virgin Radio and switched it off and on a few times until the rears popped back into action and then switched back to TV and had things working fine.

I’m at a bit of a loss as to what’s going on here with Sonos and their inability to fix this. I’ll keep submitting diagnostics but like many I’m very frustrated with waiting in a queue to get support agents who don’t know anything about the problem and want you to run through steps you know won’t help.

I’ve done the email to Patrick Spence thing but don’t expect much from it. 

Honestly, this is all just really disheartening and not at all what I’d expect from Sonos.

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

FWIW, I’m also using the Apple TV 4K 2021 and keeping up with tvOS firmware updates. This Apple TV for me has been trouble free since day one and I stream 4K, DV, Dolby Atmos, IMAX Enhanced regularly. 

I have 2 Apple TVs (one for vpn) and don’t seem to have much trouble with the 2021 version. Whenever I also connect the older Apple TV 4K I get all the issues. I’m not sure if it’s simply connecting any 2 sources, 2 Apple TVs specifically, or if the older Apple TV 4K is where all the problems come from for me. 

I have only ever had (apart from the ARC) 1 HDMI connection into my Panasonic TV - and that was the Apple TV. In short, the ARC and the AppleTV. 

Whatever triggers it, its obscure and weird - that's for sure!

Which version Apple TV? Just curious

Apple TV 4K 2021 Model A2169 ( 64GB) tvOS 15.5 

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

I’ve been experiencing this issues too, I normally don’t post on forums like this but I love my Sonos stuff and this has been such a bummer. I’m running a 2021 Apple TV 4K with LG C9 (and Arc with Sub and surrounds). Not only do I lose the surrounds and sun occasionally/they fall out of sync, but I’ll also lose sound entirely every now and then for 2-3 seconds. Totally takes you out of whatever you’re watching. I have noticed that there are times when the sound cuts out, that the Dolby Vision notification from my TV pops up. It doesn’t happened every time, but that leads me to believe that something somewhere is losing connection for a brief moment and is messing things up. I’ve also noticed that I get the issues most when watching something with Dolby Vision/Atmos. For instance, I’ve been watching Stranger Things and will get weird issues at least 4-5 times throughout and episode. I’ve also been watching Better Call Saul (amazing show by the way) and won’t have any issues for an entire episode at a time. Oddly, I also watched the first two episodes of Obi Wan Kenobi on Disney+ and had 0 issues then too. I’m really hoping a fix is incoming this week, I’m hosting a movie night on Friday. 

I tried to watch Stranger Things with my C9’s built in audio and it’s awful…I’ve been spoiled by my Sonos system and I’m super bummed at what’s been going on. 

Thanks to my kids pushing me to catch up on Stranger Things so we could all watch the latest season together, I started the binge yesterday. Made it through first four episodes season 1.

Streaming this series from Netflix app from the Apple TV 4K 2021 in 4K to my LG CX TV, Sonos Arc, Gen 3 Sub, pair One SLs all working as intended. I didn't notice any drop outs or disconnects. Signal displayed as Multichannel PCM 7.1 on the Sonos app since I have my TV sound/audio set to “pass through mode” 

I do have the Costco version of the ARC which means it is a microphone-free version of the Arc sound bar ( no voice control built in). But not sure if there are any other internal hardware differences.

FWIW, I am running a backward compatible Wifi 6 Asus Mesh Network in my house. With the ASUS ZenWiFi AX6600. * This is an awesome setup BTW, one of the most power WIFIs + signal I've ever experienced in every corner of my home. 

I also keep up with all firmware updates across my devices. But as I commented previously, I haven’t reset or retuned ( Trueplay) my Sonos 5.1.4 system since I started to read about some having disconnect problems and I'll hold off on the for now.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Thanks. Further question, did you disconnect, reconnect, and reboot everything after you disconnected the external sources?

I did a hard factory reset of the TV.

Badge

Thanks to my kids pushing me to catch up on Stranger Things so we could all watch the latest season together, I started the binge yesterday. Made it through first four episodes season 1.

Streaming this series from Netflix app from the Apple TV 4K 2021 in 4K to my LG CX TV, Sonos Arc, Gen 3 Sub, pair One SLs all working as intended. I didn't notice any drop outs or disconnects. Signal displayed as Multichannel PCM 7.1 on the Sonos app since I have my TV sound/audio set to “pass through mode” 

I do have the Costco version of the ARC which means it is a microphone-free version of the Arc sound bar ( no voice control built in). But not sure if there are any other internal hardware differences.

FWIW, I am running a backward compatible Wifi 6 Asus Mesh Network in my house. With the ASUS ZenWiFi AX6600. * This is an awesome setup BTW, one of the most power WIFIs + signal I've ever experienced in every corner of my home. 

I also keep up with all firmware updates across my devices. But as I commented previously, I haven’t reset or retuned ( Trueplay) my Sonos 5.1.4 system since I started to read about some having disconnect problems and I'll hold off on the for now.

I think there might be an issue with your setup somewhere as you should be receiving Atmos for that. Potentially don’t have Atmos enabled on your AppleTV?

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

I think there might be an issue with your setup somewhere as you should be receiving Atmos for that. Potentially don’t have Atmos enabled on your AppleTV?

@ leckie 

I do have Atmos enabled on my ATV. “Stranger Things” on Netflix is not available in Dolby Atmos, at least not in my region. 5.1 only. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Made time to work with Sonos support this morning. Couldn’t reproduce the issue live with them. Haven’t been able to reproduce since I got off the call either. Tried everything. Isn’t that the way it always is. Maybe if I post here that I think the issue is fixed, it’ll reoccur and I can submit a diagnostic 🤦‍♂️

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Made time to work with Sonos support this morning. Couldn’t reproduce the issue live with them. Haven’t been able to reproduce since I got off the call either. Tried everything. Isn’t that the way it always is. Maybe if I post here that I think the issue is fixed, it’ll reoccur and I can submit a diagnostic 🤦‍♂️

Surprising. At this point most people seem to know how to trigger the issue on demand given  their particular setup.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Surprising. At this point most people seem to know how to trigger the issue on demand given  their particular setup.

Thought I did too but I’ve reconnected all my source devices and jumping back and forth content, source, different audio formats etc. I’m sure it’ll come back. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

After keeping up with this issue for weeks and worrying when/if it’ll hit me, it finally has.

Sub and surrounds dropping out.

Such a shame this hasn’t been fixed yet or allowing us to roll back to a stable version. 

After keeping up with this issue for weeks and worrying when/if it’ll hit me, it finally has.

Such a shame this hasn’t been fixed yet or allowing us to roll back to a stable version. 

If you do encounter the issue again, at any point, it might help the Support Staff if can submit a Sonos System Diagnostic Report (asap/within 10 minutes) and then contact/chat to them via this LINK 

HTH

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Really sorry to hear that @azing - we would not wish this on anyone. 

Ken is correct, you should submit a diagnostic and then contact support. This will both show a growing issue and also provide more data to allow Sonos Engineering to triangulate the issue. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

I also find this amazing. Azing has not had the problem for weeks and them suddenly it turns up. I just dont understand this issue or even able to fathom the trigger. I have had one drop out since Friday (yes, it did occur again!) but before it was just all the time. 

My head hurts. I can't even place my finger anywhere near where the problem could be!

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Been a week now with no issues thankfully 

Watched loads of my film collection on apple tv lucky I have nearly 1000 🙏

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Been a week now with no issues thankfully 

Watched loads of my film collection on apple tv lucky I have nearly 1000 🙏

You do realise you have just jinxed your lucky run, right?!

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

@Brad Porter haha

I was holding a large wooden plank when I typed that😜

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Guys - I have an expected day in the office tomorrow and won't have time to ask Sonos where they are with my case unfortunately. Ill therefore provide a progress update on Wednesday.

If anyone else has any updates, then I am all ears. Getting desperate for some good news!

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Issued reoccurred this evening as expected. Submitted a diagnostic and called support. Got to a step in troubleshooting where the rep insisted on checking whether the issue was still present using optical out on the tv. My TV is mounted so I pre-ran an optical cable when I installed it  but because the arc has that optical to HDMI adapter I’d need access to the back of my mounted tv. I’ll Have to decide whether I’m willing to unmount my tv to help Sonos fix their products.

edit: found a female female toslink adapter on Amazon for cheap. Guess I’ll push on

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Issued reoccurred this evening as expected. Submitted a diagnostic and called support. Got to a step in troubleshooting where the rep insisted on checking whether the issue was still present using optical out on the tv. My TV is mounted so I pre-ran an optical cable when I installed it  but because the arc has that optical to HDMI adapter I’d need access to the back of my mounted tv. I’ll Have to decide whether I’m willing to unmount my tv to help Sonos fix their products.

edit: found a female female toslink adapter on Amazon for cheap. Guess I’ll push on

I feel this is not a viable/justified request from support. They asked me to do this as well in order to attempt to isolate whether it was an issue with HDMI on the Sonos Arc. The data they receive from any diagnostics you submit will tell them whether there is a problem with HDMI. Using optical renders the Sonos Arc nothing more than a glorified Sonos Playbar. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

I feel this is not a viable/justified request from support. They asked me to do this as well in order to attempt to isolate whether it was an issue with HDMI on the Sonos Arc. The data they receive from any diagnostics you submit will tell them whether there is a problem with HDMI. Using optical renders the Sonos Arc nothing more than a glorified Sonos Playbar. 

Agreed but I didn’t get the sense I would get any further without so I’ll do it.