Lost surround and sub ( after update ?)

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1604 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Hi All,

Well, I have had a strange weekend.

After admitting defeat, I unwired most of my Sonos kit and turned it back to a near previous state. I reintroduced my Boost (wired to the Router) BUT kept the ARC wired into the router as well. (Previously, the ARC was never left wired, it was only the Boost which connected all speakers by SonosNET). The rest of the speakers were put back onto SonosNET via the Boost. My rationale was that the system had an intermittent issue no matter how I had it configured, so tidied up the room to free the many exposed wires.

The thing is that I have been watching films and TV since Friday night, flicking around trying to replicate the issue (which usually only took under an hour) but some stability seems to have been introduced back in for reasons I do not understand. I have gone from interrupted Sub/Surround sound on nearly an hourly basis (or at least easy enough to coax into an issue) to nothing since Friday night.

I have no idea what this means or whether this is going to occur again the minute I hit send. It is just such a strange and intermittent issue that I really cannot put my finger on it. 

My case is still open with Sonos Engineering and will be actively asking for updates from Tuesday this week. 

Regards,

Brad

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Hi All,

I have been following this thread from the beginning and finally jumping in.  Off the bat, thanks to Brad and Peter (plus all others) for all of your time and effort with this bug.  

My setup:  

LG CX OLED (wireless)

Cable box (HDMI INPUT 1)

SONOS Arc (HDMI INPUT 2) - OS: S2 (wireless)

Two SONOS subs - OS:  S2 (wireless)

Two Bookshelf speakers - OS:  S2 (wireless)

(All SONOS now on v14.8 (build 68329170) - keep doing the recent updates hoping its the fix.

PS5 (HDMI INPUT 3 - wired)

In the same boat as everyone as of April 19th with the release of v14.6.  

My issue is easily re-creatable simply by switching between inputs to the the built-in TV YouTube app or Netflix and watching a video.  I do not have have Apple TV.  Submitted 8+ diagnostics to various live SONOS reps via phone as early as April 22nd when restarting my router, unplugging and power cycling would only give me a temporary relief.  At the time they did not acknowledge the issue and went with the standard troubleshooting playbook - none of course worked.  

I have been on them since April 22nd and finally got an acknowledgement via email today that they are aware of the issue (a first for me but following this thread, know they have for others): “...as shared in the previous email, after an update it is not possible to revers the system to the previous firmware.  We are aware of the situation and our engineers are working to have this issue clear.”

My one workaround right now is to turn off SIMPLINK (HDMI-CEC) and switch output sound from HDMI ARC to “Internal TV Speaker”.  From there, I can go to YouTube, Netflix, Amazon, PS5, Amazon Prime… and turn on whatever I want to watch.  Then have to go back to HDMI Arc for sound and I will not experience any drops.  Suuuper annoying but does the trick for me.  

If/when I drop (forgetting to do the above or too lazy), I just reboot my router.

Interesting. My 2nd system with an LG CX and PS5 I haven’t experienced the issue yet. May I ask if you have HDMI CEC enabled on your PS5?

Yes, CEC is enabled for my PS5.  

I’m curious if it helps at all to turn it off on the PS5. 

Tried this morning.  SONOS system was fully up and running.  Went to PS5 System settings and disabled “Enable HDMI Device Link” which also disables “Enable One-Touch Play” and “”Enable Power Off Link”.  Started jumping from different sources - HDMI 1 (TV), launched Netflix from TV app, YouTube, back to TV… all was fine.  After about 10mins I went back to PS5 and switched games from COD to FIFA…. as soon as I did that the issue returned (could have been fluke but….).  

Restated the router to bring SONOS system back to life but while doing that also powered off PS5 (even pulled out HDMI and ethernet cable from system) to ensure PS5 itself is not a factor.  

SONOS powered back up and fully functional again.  TV sound fine, Netflix, fine, youTube fine but then started paying attention to the audio format switches via the app.  When I moved from Dolby Multichanel PMC 2.0 (Netflix movie) to Dolby Atmos (Amazon movie) it instantly dropped. 

Foxis mentioned before - likely audio/format switches triggering the glitch and why my current workaround of disabling eArc, changing output to “Internal TV Speaker”, start whatever I'm about to watch/play then going back to enable HDMI/Arc works.  As long as I don't move from one (audio) source to another, I'm good.  After todays tests, first I’m clueing in that each game could also have a different audio format so switching between could also trigger the glitch.

...Just tried again and watched the switching between games.  FIFA (Multichannel PCM 7.1), switched to COD and in between it went from Stereo PCM (while loading COD - PS5 dashboard) back to Multichannel PCM 7.1.  SONOS did not drop this time between the switch… so random but sure I'm just a few switches away from yet another router reboot.

Thanks for testing that. At this point I’m just really confused why I experience the issue on my living room system but not my game room system 

I wonder why I don't have any of these problems discussed in this thread. I specifically checked again last night, ARC ( Costco version) w/ Gen 3 Sub and a pair of One SLs all working as they should and I've been keeping up with the firmware/Sonos App updates. However, I will not be resetting anything or running Trueplay again until Sonos gets this sorted out since everything is working just fine for me as is...just incase 😉

FWIW, I’m also using the Apple TV 4K 2021 and keeping up with tvOS firmware updates. This Apple TV for me has been trouble free since day one and I stream 4K, DV, Dolby Atmos, IMAX Enhanced regularly. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

I had to reset everything again on Friday at noon (27th). I did notice when things went south again and I lost sound on Ones and Subs that one surround and a sub had reassigned themselves to the satellite I have I basement 5ghz. Previously everything showed as bonded to the Arc. This happened once before, but it’s not always reproducible.

Powered everything off, left it alone for 10 minutes, rebooted router and modem, but left the satellite unplugged  - I have a Asus Zenwifi AX 6600 two-pack mesh. Powered up the tv and Arc first and verified they were connected. Powered up subs and Ones. Everything in Sonos app was as before (14.8.1), Trueplay on, my custom settings, etc. Working as should.

It’s now Sunday and I haven’t had a dropout - Been changing apps/channels with different audio on Roku tv. Still have my Apple TV 4K disconnected, powered off, but that didn’t make a difference before, so I don’t think that matters (for me - switching inputs YMWV).

Not sure what is going on, but I since I removed the satellite it’s just working, and I’ve been actively trying to mess it up. Streamed all day Saturday going from Pluto, Hulu, Paramount+, Amazon, Disney+

Hasn’t dropped once - Dolby PCM multichannel 2.0 and 5.1 to Atmos and back. Just working as should.

Not going to jinx it by plugging in satellite and still not convinced that is the problem. But will report that “maybe” this matters in some way. Not really helpful, I know - just trying to figure it out.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

FWIW, I’m also using the Apple TV 4K 2021 and keeping up with tvOS firmware updates. This Apple TV for me has been trouble free since day one and I stream 4K, DV, Dolby Atmos, IMAX Enhanced regularly. 

I have 2 Apple TVs (one for vpn) and don’t seem to have much trouble with the 2021 version. Whenever I also connect the older Apple TV 4K I get all the issues. I’m not sure if it’s simply connecting any 2 sources, 2 Apple TVs specifically, or if the older Apple TV 4K is where all the problems come from for me. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

I had to reset everything again on Friday at noon (27th). I did notice when things went south again and I lost sound on Ones and Subs that one surround and a sub had reassigned themselves to the satellite I have I basement 5ghz. Previously everything showed as bonded to the Arc. This happened once before, but it’s not always reproducible.

Powered everything off, left it alone for 10 minutes, rebooted router and modem, but left the satellite unplugged  - I have a Asus Zenwifi AX 6600 two-pack mesh. Powered up the tv and Arc first and verified they were connected. Powered up subs and Ones. Everything in Sonos app was as before (14.8.1), Trueplay on, my custom settings, etc. Working as should.

It’s now Sunday and I haven’t had a dropout - Been changing apps/channels with different audio on Roku tv. Still have my Apple TV 4K disconnected, powered off, but that didn’t make a difference before, so I don’t think that matters (for me - switching inputs YMWV).

Not sure what is going on, but I since I removed the satellite it’s just working, and I’ve been actively trying to mess it up. Streamed all day Saturday going from Pluto, Hulu, Paramount+, Amazon, Disney+

Hasn’t dropped once - Dolby PCM multichannel 2.0 and 5.1 to Atmos and back. Just working as should.

Not going to jinx it by plugging in satellite and still not convinced that is the problem. But will report that “maybe” this matters in some way. Not really helpful, I know - just trying to figure it out.

This has been my behaviour as well. Whenever I do a big reset/reboot of everything I get stability for an extended period of time. For me as long as I don’t connect more sources than just my apple 4K 2021, I won’t ever get a dropout. As soon as I try to connect another source, dropouts will start to occur frequently.

If you make a change to your system to try to improve stability, I think it’s important to do a big reboot/reset of everything to fully clear whatever errors are present.

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

I have 2 Apple TVs (one for vpn) and don’t seem to have much trouble with the 2021 version. Whenever I also connect the older Apple TV 4K I get all the issues. I’m not sure if it’s simply connecting any 2 sources, 2 Apple TVs specifically, or if the older Apple TV 4K is where all the problems come from for me. 

I have only ever had (apart from the ARC) 1 HDMI connection into my Panasonic TV - and that was the Apple TV. In short, the ARC and the AppleTV. 

Whatever triggers it, its obscure and weird - that's for sure!

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

I have only ever had (apart from the ARC) 1 HDMI connection into my Panasonic TV - and that was the Apple TV. In short, the ARC and the AppleTV. 

Whatever triggers it, its obscure and weird - that's for sure!

Which version Apple TV? Just curious

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Just chatted with support again - this time Max L (lol). Not very helpful, tried… my stuff is still working as should at the moment, since I removed my satellite on Friday (only have one).

Tried to explain (again) that before 14.6 I had a satellite in basement and everything ways fine… sigh.

Gave them a new diagnostic, but as I said, it’s still all working??? Usually when it craps out for me it’s like 2-3 hours although it has happened in 30 minutes before.

Apple TV isn’t the problem in my mind, btw, but what do I know. Since I disconnected my satellite it’s been solid for almost 3 days now.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

It’s weird. I didn’t have a problem either since Friday. Didn’t change anything except for a power cycle on that day.

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Currently running off a Gen 2. Scared to plug the Gen 1 back in!

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

I have the 2021 Apple TV and have the issue 

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

It’s weird. I didn’t have a problem either since Friday. Didn’t change anything except for a power cycle on that day.

I know - it's so strange. I have been able to consistently make this break previously. In fact, my youngest is the the TV Room right now watching a film and I went to check all was OK, and all speakers are firing as expected. It so strange, 

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

Now I’m wondering if there’s possibly some server side logging service that had an issue which maybe they inadvertently fixed?

for everyone that has/had the issue so you have this setting enabled?

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

I know - it's so strange. I have been able to consistently make this break previously. In fact, my youngest is the the TV Room right now watching a film and I went to check all was OK, and all speakers are firing as expected. It so strange, 

Don’t worry. It’s waiting for us to believe that it’s fixed and then it’ll happen again.

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

Don’t worry. It’s waiting for us to believe that it’s fixed and then it’ll happen again.

100%

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

I just got the issue mid-show

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Currently running off a Gen 2. Scared to plug the Gen 1 back in!

Thanks, just thought it was worth eliminating

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

@peterbault it seems like you’ve tried everything without much luck making your system any more stable. Just wondering, and you’ve likely already answered this, but have you tried unplugging everything and doing a reboot/reset of all equipment and then not connecting any source devices at all? Just curious if you still get the dropouts on internal tv apps with no other sources connected after doing a big reset. I was going to try this myself but since I can get my system to be stable with my one Apple TV connected, I didn’t think it would tell me anything. Trying to figure out if a source device must be present or can this issue occur between just Sonos system and tv?

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

@peterbault it seems like you’ve tried everything without much luck making your system any more stable. Just wondering, and you’ve likely already answered this, but have you tried unplugging everything and doing a reboot/reset of all equipment and then not connecting any source devices at all? Just curious if you still get the dropouts on internal tv apps with no other sources connected after doing a big reset. I was going to try this myself but since I can get my system to be stable with my one Apple TV connected, I didn’t think it would tell me anything. Trying to figure out if a source device must be present or can this issue occur between just Sonos system and tv?

I’ve done a full reset but I haven’t tried the tv apps. I can get my system stable by turning off eArc even with Apple TV 

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

I’ve done a full reset but I haven’t tried the tv apps. I can get my system stable by turning off eArc even with Apple TV 

Right forgot about that. My gut still tells me a source device other than the tv has to be connected for this to occur but interested if anyone can contradict that

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Right forgot about that. My gut still tells me a source device other than the tv has to be connected for this to occur but interested if anyone can contradict that

I’m pretty sure I saw several reports on Reddit of people having the issue with internal apps only. I could be wrong though.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Sub just stopped working.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

I’m pretty sure I saw several reports on Reddit of people having the issue with internal apps only. I could be wrong though.

Ya there have definitely been users who get the dropouts on internal tv apps. That’s been leading most of those users to speculate the dropouts are related to audio format changes. What I’m not sure is whether they have any other sources connected. 

After a week of no dropouts, I plugged in a second source and without even switching inputs to the new device, got a dropout the very next time I changed content still on the first device. That had me feeling like it’s source related. Just trying to isolate if anyone has gotten this on internal apps with literally no other devices connected

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

After a week of no dropouts, I plugged in a second source and without even switching inputs to the new device, got a dropout the very next time I changed content still on the first device. That had me feeling like it’s source related. Just trying to isolate if anyone has gotten this on internal apps with literally no other devices connected

I think (for this at least) this is why they might be fixating on CEC during my diagnostics. 

I never have a drop out mid film. Only when switching between sources (of some description) and then the subs/rears drop the minute I start playing on that new source. For this distinct issue, I guess it could be related to CEC and not directing the sound properly. Although, I am sadly weak in my deep understanding of CEC…….

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

I think (for this at least) this is why they might be fixating on CEC during my diagnostics. 

I never have a drop out mid film. Only when switching between sources (of some description) and then the subs/rears drop the minute I start playing on that new source. For this distinct issue, I guess it could be related to CEC and not directing the sound properly. Although, I am sadly weak in my deep understanding of CEC…….

When I was at work on Friday I was on with chat support to see if I could schedule time for tomorrow with some level of escalated support because I’ll be home alone and off work. They told me no but said they could see I’ve been at this a while and tried lots of stuff and if I call in I could probably get escalated pretty quickly. I’ve set aside some time tomorrow to see how far I can get