Lost surround and sub ( after update ?)

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1604 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

I have a Gen1.

So you observed that it became more unstable when you connected your first gen AppleTV? I looked at the specs for Gen1 v Gen2 and it’s (apparently) only Gen2 that supports eARC. Can’t find the link now, but it just struck me that you had increasing instability when you plugged in the Gen1.

When I’ve had the gen 2 connected alone, I have been very stable. When I connect the gen 1 also, my stability craters. Can’t say for sure if it is the gen 1 that causes issues, or having 2 Apple TVs connected to the same system that causes the issues. Gives me some more things to trouble shoot though

With the Gen 2, when you say stable, you can bounce around from app to app while watching videos and not lose the sub? That is what seems to generally trigger it for me.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

I have a Gen1.

So you observed that it became more unstable when you connected your first gen AppleTV? I looked at the specs for Gen1 v Gen2 and it’s (apparently) only Gen2 that supports eARC. Can’t find the link now, but it just struck me that you had increasing instability when you plugged in the Gen1.

When I’ve had the gen 2 connected alone, I have been very stable. When I connect the gen 1 also, my stability craters. Can’t say for sure if it is the gen 1 that causes issues, or having 2 Apple TVs connected to the same system that causes the issues. Gives me some more things to trouble shoot though

With the Gen 2, when you say stable, you can bounce around from app to app while watching videos and not lose the sub? That is what seems to generally trigger it for me.

Yes, I’ve been stable for as long as 2 weeks without a dropout on only the gen 2. Every time I connect the gen 1 as well, get a ton of dropouts 

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

OK, something weird has occurred. (NOTE: no false hopes please, it's too early).

• Today I went out and purchased two new HDMI cables (2M 8K Sandstrom) to replace my 3M 8K Maxonar. Replaced the connections to the AppleTV and Sonos ARC. (Notwithstanding that my previous cables had been working just fine up to April). 
  • I (through some weird and rediculous logic) moved the Apple TV to HDMI PORT 4 on the TV, from HDMI PORT 1. The ARC is in HDMI PORT 2 as that is where the eARC capability resides. (Note, all HDMI PORTS on my Panasonic produce 4K and are enabled for 4K in the settings). If you want to know my silly reason for moving the HDMI PORT, it was because I wanted to experiment with the TV PORT being lower than the ARC PORT.  There, I told you it was silly, but I am getting desperate. 

I have spent two hours flicking between Amazon Prime, Apple TV, Netflix, stereo trailers and Native TV and I cannot replicate the issue. It's usually broke within the hour, but now I cannot entice it to disconnect the rears and subs.

This does not make much sense to me. And this needs a lot more time, at least 3 days of no issues. But I am going to keep going and will report back. The reason I am progressing with this is that in the back of my head there are people out there who don't have the issue. So I keep thinking ‘there has to be something I can do!’. 

As said, too early to tell, but I'll let you know how I get on. Maybe another false hope…...

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

FALSE ALARM - IT JUST WENT AGAIN

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

Just installed my CEC blocking adapter and was able to reproduce the issue still 

this nightmare will never end

OK, something weird has occurred. (NOTE: no false hopes please, it's too early).

• Today I went out and purchased two new HDMI cables (2M 8K Sandstrom) to replace my 3M 8K Maxonar. Replaced the connections to the AppleTV and Sonos ARC. (Notwithstanding that my previous cables had been working just fine up to April). 
  • I (through some weird and rediculous logic) moved the Apple TV to HDMI PORT 4 on the TV, from HDMI PORT 1. The ARC is in HDMI PORT 2 as that is where the eARC capability resides. (Note, all HDMI PORTS on my Panasonic produce 4K and are enabled for 4K in the settings). If you want to know my silly reason for moving the HDMI PORT, it was because I wanted to experiment with the TV PORT being lower than the ARC PORT.  There, I told you it was silly, but I am getting desperate. 

I have spent two hours flicking between Amazon Prime, Apple TV, Netflix, stereo trailers and Native TV and I cannot replicate the issue. It's usually broke within the hour, but now I cannot entice it to disconnect the rears and subs.

This does not make much sense to me. And this needs a lot more time, at least 3 days of no issues. But I am going to keep going and will report back. The reason I am progressing with this is that in the back of my head there are people out there who don't have the issue. So I keep thinking ‘there has to be something I can do!’. 

As said, too early to tell, but I'll let you know how I get on. Maybe another false hope…...

Could it perhaps have been just one of the HDMI cable(s) had developed a minor fault, rather than the change of TV port, or did the two new cables fail, when you used the original port setup - or is that something you are still yet to test?

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Could it perhaps have been just one of the HDMI cable(s) had developed a minor fault, rather than the change of TV port, or did the two new cables fail, when you used the original port setup - or is that something you are still yet to test?

Sadly it went again. Darn. Back to the drawing board. 

FALSE ALARM - IT JUST WENT AGAIN

I guess that rules out the HDMI cable being faulty then…

Almost immediately after people post here saying ‘so far, so good’ …the issue then suddenly shows up again.

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Almost immediately after people post here saying ‘so far, so good’ …the issue then suddenly shows up again.

I feel so beaten. 

Just installed my CEC blocking adapter and was able to reproduce the issue still 

Did you remove all the other devices connected to the TV, leaving just the Sonos HT device and the Apple TV (with the CEC-less adapter) connected …and did you disable CEC on the Apple TV?

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

this nightmare will never end

I was hoping this was going to be the fix. Would have been fine for my situation as I already have cec disabled on the device that seems to be causing the problems. Oh well

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

I just dont understand why others are not getting the problem.

I also dont understand why some dont get the problem (as much) with AppleTV 2nd Gen. 

So many questions, so little answers!

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

If the Wi-Fi trick works, then that is doing something to reset the situation. i.e. it must be setting up new routes to the Speakers (STP?) or something to suddenly enable the sound. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

Did you remove all the other devices connected to the TV, leaving just the Sonos HT device and the Apple TV (with the CEC-less adapter) connected …and did you disable CEC on the Apple TV?

I have no other sources. I confirmed CEC was not on the Apple TV via the device list on my tv. The option was greyed out on the Apple TV settings 

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

If the Wi-Fi trick works, then that is doing something to reset the situation. i.e. it must be setting up new routes to the Speakers (STP?) or something to suddenly enable the sound. 

It actually forces the arc to restart which causes the bonded speakers to lose their connection and then re-establish it when the arc is back online. It’s the same as if you power cycled the arc. 

I suspect whatever the problem is causes some exception in the software stack which prevents audio going to the bonded speakers (although they still have network connectivity) and the process of restarting their connection avoids the bugged software path (until you run into it again with whatever causes it)

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

That all sounds logical. Just don’t understand why some people have not got the issue. 

We would really need an extensive amount of time comparing settings on a working setup and a non-working one. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

That all sounds logical. Just don’t understand why some people have not got the issue. 

We would really need an extensive amount of time comparing settings on a working setup and a non-working one. 

Is it time to ask @peterbault to try to wreck his functioning system by moving his Apple TV over? -Kidding

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Is it time to ask @peterbault to try to wreck his functioning system by moving his Apple TV over? -Kidding

Ha! Even Peter has the frustrating issue where it’s working in one place, and.not that other! What’s all that about?! It’s so odd…

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

Is it time to ask @peterbault to try to wreck his functioning system by moving his Apple TV over? -Kidding

I am tempted...

I feel so beaten. 

I can completely understand how you feel, I certainly applaud 👏 each of your efforts here and those of @peterbault too for hanging in there and trying all the various things to try to fix the problem. 

It does look, more and more, like an issue which maybe only the developers/engineers//manufacturers involved can perhaps resolve with their firmware updates. So here’s hoping that all gets resolved for you soon.🤞

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

I feel so beaten. 

I can completely understand how you feel, I certainly applaud 👏 each of your efforts here and those of @peterbault too for hanging in there and trying all the various things to try to fix the problem. 

It does look, more and more, like an issue which maybe only the developers/engineers//manufacturers involved can perhaps resolve with their firmware updates. So here’s hoping that all gets resolved for you soon.🤞

Thanks @Ken_Griffiths. We appreciate the kind words of support. I am also coming round to the idea that we are not going to be able to fix this without Sonos Engineering.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

I feel so beaten. 

I can completely understand how you feel, I certainly applaud 👏 each of your efforts here and those of @peterbault too for hanging in there and trying all the various things to try to fix the problem. 

Thanks @Ken_Griffiths. We appreciate the kind words of support. I am also coming round to the idea that we are not going to be able to fix this without Sonos Engineering.

On that note are you still engaged with them? Or have they hit a wall?

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

This was the the last update sent to me first thing this morning. I have not heard from them throughout the day, but it’s only been a day I guess. 

“At this point based on the information provided so far and all the diagnostics and troubleshooting that has been done, I will have to escalate the case to our Level 3 engineers so they can look further into it. Once the case is escalated, they will be in touch with you for further instructions.”

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

This was the the last update sent to me first thing this morning. I have not heard from them throughout the day, but it’s only been a day I guess. 

“At this point based on the information provided so far and all the diagnostics and troubleshooting that has been done, I will have to escalate the case to our Level 3 engineers so they can look further into it. Once the case is escalated, they will be in touch with you for further instructions.”

Thanks for the update. I have a day off on Monday and the rest of the family will be out of the house. I might see how quickly I can climb the support chain with my own case. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Thanks for the update. I have a day off on Monday and the rest of the family will be out of the house. I might see how quickly I can climb the support chain with my own case. 

Sounds good.