LG TV + Beam - audio/lip sync issues fixed?

• 16 April 2019
  • 11 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +3
Many people, myself included, have has significant audio sync issues with the Beam and LG TV’s (C8 OLED in my case).

However, using the latest LG firmware recently released and recent Sonos update, the problem seems way less noticeable. I’d go as far as saying ‘fixed’.

Has the Sonos has any improvements made in this area, or is it the TV? Am I imagining it? Anyone else noticed any improvements with similar setups?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Since the issue is on the LG side of things, it would have been their firmware update that would have "fixed" the issue.

At the end of the day, Sonos just can't play any sounds before they receive them. There's nothing that Sonos can do about this, they rely on the TV set to send them the data.
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
Sure, it might well be the TV and probably is. However processing delays in the soundbar can can sync issues.
Userlevel 7
Hi Badgercop

If you haven't done so...try adjusting the AV Sync in the Sound menu of your LGC8. You may also find some other tweaks you can apply.:)

Cheers!
Fixed my lip sync issues by turning on tru motion, but if you don’t like it set it to zero on user and for some reason this fixed the sync issues completely.
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
Hi Badgercop

If you haven't done so...try adjusting the AV Sync in the Sound menu of your LGC8. You may also find some other tweaks you can apply.:)

Cheers!

There are no tweaks. The issue is that LG’s TV now only have positive audio delay adjustment, no negative.

However the good news is that new firmware just landed. 04.10.55 is officially available for LG C8 which fixes the Arc issues.
Hi Badgercop

Cheers!

There are no tweaks. The issue is that LG’s TV now only have positive audio delay adjustment, no negative.

However the good news is that new firmware just landed. 04.10.55 is officially available for LG C8 which fixes the Arc issues.

Badgercop, were you having sync issues with connected devices only? I recently sent my whole 5.1 system back because I was frustrated. I think I just got the new firmware a few days late. Did it fix the sync with all your devices? I'm getting fed up with all the other systems I'm trying and really loved the quality of sonos. LG soundbar works, but it's having some other issues.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
Fixed my lip sync issues by turning on tru motion, but if you don’t like it set it to zero on user and for some reason this fixed the sync issues completely.

I did the same thing and I think it adds a slight delay to pic processing which allows the audio to catch up. I found my way here after messing around with sync issue watching Foxtel. That's more of a Fox issue as the Brits seem to have the same issue with their Sky boxes.

The Sync is also inconsistent amongst the cable channels so i'm ruling out an issue with Sonos and the Beam.
This audio issue has been present for sometime and as of writing I still have this issue on both my LG 55B7 connected to Sonos Beam and 65C8 connected to the PlayBar.
The issue is clearly with Dolby Digital decoding over HDMI. I have contacted LG who suggest I set the TVs to PCM Uncompressed. This does indeed fix the issue but knocks the audio down to stereo. I have Play 1s and the Sub connected to my systems so I don't want to be feeding them stereo sound.
This fix however again points to the issue being a Dolby Digital processing problem via HDMI
I have no such audio problems with any of the apps (Netflix etc)

The only fix at the moment is to use an optical splitter and run all my devices over optical bypassing any audio processing via the HDMIs
Just bought an LG C8 55 inch, and have 04.10.55 firmware. Very slight but noticeable audio delay on most inputs, including the built in tuner and apps like Netflix. I see the latest firmware has removed the negative audio delay option, which is frustrating, as I probably just need a slight negative delay to get things matched up. Note I have tru motion turned on and it’s still not enough of a delay to join things up.

just wondering if those who have had this problem for longer and say it’s solved have got it perfectly synced, or, or if it’s just so much better than it was that it’s bearable.

I have optical cables with couplers, and could do optical out from the devices into the beam, but this seems a shame as I’d then miss out on the benefits of ARC.

Would anyone be kind enough to share their settings and also comment on how perfect the sync is?

Thanks,
Matt
Hi
I'm having the same issues.
Can you recommended to optical spiltter you are using. I'm assuming it can pass 4k through the box.
Thanks for your help

The only fix at the moment is to use an optical splitter and run all my devices over optical bypassing any audio processing via the HDMIs

Hi
I'm having the same issues.
Can you recommended to optical spiltter you are using. I'm assuming it can pass 4k through the box.
Thanks for your help

Hello. I’m passing HDMI from my devices (virgin media TiVo, blu ray, Xbox) into the TV. And then I run optical leads from the back of those devices and leave them in front of the tv. Then I join those leads to the optical connector on the sonos using these simple couplers:

Ancable Fiber Optic Toslink Female to Toslink Female Coupler (Pack of 10) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01N6DO03V/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_C6UmDbS2TAAJN’’

I also run an optical out from the tv in the same way.

Whenever I switch input to watch a different source, I connect the optical leads together. This has the effect of letting the audio get to the sonos more quickly than the video, then I use the audio delay in the sonos settings to get the best lip sync.

Its a bit of a faff, but makes watching more bearable.

I am hoping LG will release a firmware update to solve the delay in passing/processing DD 5.1. It was present on my 2009 LG 37LH5000 tv, so I’m wondering if this is a hard problem to solve, or if LG don’t believe there is an issue. It’s very frustrating, as clearly other manufacturers don’t suffer from this problem.