LG OLED B8 + Arc owners

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

As the title says … has anyone had any luck getting Dolby Atmos Digital plus working?  I assume that even with Atmos DD+ You would get the Atmos symbol on the TV screen in the S2 app?  I have yet to see that symbol in the S2 app.

my set up..

OLED B8 [this does not have eARC]
apple TV 4K plugged in to HDMI ARC

att uverse plugged into HDMI

sonos arc plugged into optical

from what I have read in general (not B8 specific) optical can only do 5.1 and hdmi ARC can do DD+.  I have tried the sonos arc in both, but the optical seems to sound better.  And even in the settings you have the option for Dolby Atmos when output to internal+optical.

I have tried downloading the Atmos video samples from Dolby website, putting on USB… although they sound good, still no Dolby Atmos indication on the app..

I believe this is a TV limitation, but wondering if any success from other B8 owners? 

thanks

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

19 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Using the Netflix app through Apple TV and watching the movie triple frontier (Dolby vision/Atmos), I do not get the Dolby Atmos indicator on the S2 app

appleTV settings to atmos

lg settings Dolby Atmos ticked with output set to internal speaker + optical.  Have tried both ways with Sonos arc in the hDMI ARC 

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

This is what I do NOT see in the S2 App.

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

I figured it out.  My TV firmware Was out of date.  I am now on 5.10.50 version. 

rthe arc is now connected through the HDMI ARC connection and getting the Dolby Atmos indicator in the S2 app playing DA movies in Netflix app within Apple TV 4K 

hope this is able to help someone else.

Badge

Hi - Thanks for starting this thread. Just to be clear, you have an Apple TV 4K + Sonos Arc connected to your B8 OLED TV and you are able to stream 4K from Apple TV with Dolby support?

I have the same setup too (or will be pretty soon once I get my Sonos Arc in a week). I currently have the Apple TV 4K connected to the HDMI ARC port on my LG OLED55B8P (v05.20.01) and once I receive my Sonos ARC, I am planning to do the following

1. Sonos Arc     →  LG B8 HDMI Arc 
  2. Apple TV 4K  →  LG B8 Regular HDMI

Wondering if this is sufficient to get 4K output from Apple TV with Dolby support? Shouldn’t Apple TV 4K be connected to ARC in order to receive 4k output?

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Yes, with my OLED B8 I have successfully been getting DA (Dolby Digital +) with ATV4K and using Netflix via Apple TV.  However in its current form I get an uncorrectable lip sync problem.  Since the latest TV firmware added Apple TV in the built in apps, I can get DA DD+ that way too.  The built in apps do not have lip sync issues.  

I have ordered the Arcana and will be here Wednesday.  This should fix my lip sync problem with ATV4K.

note.. here is a pic of my current settings:

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Yes, with my OLED B8 I have successfully been getting DA (Dolby Digital +) with ATV4K and using Netflix via Apple TV.  However in its current form I get an uncorrectable lip sync problem.  Since the latest TV firmware added Apple TV in the built in apps, I can get DA DD+ that way too.  The built in apps do not have lip sync issues.  

I have ordered the Arcana and will be here Wednesday.  This should fix my lip sync problem with ATV4K.

note.. here is a pic of my current settings:

Also a quick note about the new Apple TV app built into the LG OLED B8.  You can mess with this now.  For some reason, it seemed the first time playing something in the Apple TV app, the aspect ratio is off, so the screen doesn’t look right.  It seems if you get out of it and back in it, it displays normally.  So since it is new to the TV firmware, it is a little buggy.  I don’t use it for this reason.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

With regards to your settings - I have the AV Sync adjustment turned on and set to “bypass”.  That resolved any lip sync problems I had.

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

With regards to your settings - I have the AV Sync adjustment turned on and set to “bypass”.  That resolved any lip sync problems I had.

Thanks.  It seems like I tried that and didn’t help.  However, there has been some updates since then, so it is worth a revisit.  Appreciate it

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Thanks.  It seems like I tried that and didn’t help.  However, there has been some updates since then, so it is worth a revisit.  Appreciate it

Nope, bypass unfortunately still does not help with the lip sync for the ATV4K through the TV.  Appreciate the input and feedback.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Nope, bypass unfortunately still does not help with the lip sync for the ATV4K through the TV.  Appreciate the input and feedback.

Did you add delay in the Sonos app?  My understanding of the bypass setting is that it delays the video so you can adjust your sound delay at the source to achieve sync.  I’m at +2 or +3.

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Did you add delay in the Sonos app?  My understanding of the bypass setting is that it delays the video so you can adjust your sound delay at the source to achieve sync.  I’m at +2 or +3.

Yeah… just tried that.  Unfortunately all the settings between Sonos, TV, and even Apple move the voices in the wrong direction… adding just makes it worse.  this is only for external sources.  Using TV built in apps are spot on.  

also, because I mentioned it earlier, I just tried the LG built in Apple TV app and there was an update.  Looks like they may have fixed the aspect ratio issue.

Badge

Glad that you brought up “Arcana” … I set my eyes on it after reading this post but chose to wait until I received the Arc before buying it. However, now that you have confirmed the lip-sync issue with the same setup that I have, I think I will go ahead and pre-order the Arcana unit asap.

Anyone else with the same LG B8 + Arc + Apple TV Setup managed to avoid the lip-sync issue without Arcana?

Hi i am also having trouble with sonos app not showing  atmos 

1. Sonos Arc     →  LG B8 HDMI Arc 
  2. Apple TV 4K  →  LG B8 Regular HDMI 3

have settings as per above

any ideas?

Steven

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi folks, thanks for reaching out here and welcome to all the new users here in the community. I also appreciate sharing your experiences with each other to get this resolved. 

@hollieella, have you tried a different content/source if you’ll get Atmos? Submit a diagnostic report and reply the confirmation number here to further check it on our end. 

Just let us know. We and the community are always here to help.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Glad that you brought up “Arcana” … I set my eyes on it after reading this post but chose to wait until I received the Arc before buying it. However, now that you have confirmed the lip-sync issue with the same setup that I have, I think I will go ahead and pre-order the Arcana unit asap.

Anyone else with the same LG B8 + Arc + Apple TV Setup managed to avoid the lip-sync issue without Arcana?

I have no lip sync issues with this set up.  I do have an Arcana, but the Apple TV is not connected to it since I’m able to get Atmos without it and instead just connect my Blu-ray player to the Arcana.  So that way I don’t have to use a switch.

I have managed to obtain Dolby Atmos but have lip sync issues when watching via Apple TV ! Can only obtain Dolby Atmos via internal speaker setting . Any ideas?

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi folks. Thanks for your responses here and update. 

@hollieella, have you tried playing a different content from another source, like Netflix or anything that would give us the Dolby Atmos? 

And perhaps, these threads will be helpful.

https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/no-dialog-through-arc-from-apple-tv-4k-6847888

https://en.community.sonos.com/home-theater-228993/did-ios14-tvos14-quietly-bring-atmos-audio-to-airplay-2-6848270

Just let us know. We and the community are always here to help.

Thanks. I receive Dolby Atmos however have lip sync issues when playing Netflix or other apps via Apple TV box. When I play Netflix or Apple TV on the tv internal apps I have no issues at all. My tv only has arc & not e arc.

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @hollieella, thanks for your reply. So meaning the lipsync issue only exists when playing any content from the Apple TV box? And the Sonos Arc works great when playing from the TV  internal apps? If that’s the case, check the audio format being broadcast by the Apple TV and perhaps match to the threads shared above. Just let us know. We and the community are always here to help.