Question

No dialog through Arc from Apple TV 4K

• 7 September 2020
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hi guys,

Weird issue: I’ve my LG C9 TV set to passthrough/eARC, and Dolby Atmos works just fine. However, when I play non-Atmos content (5.1) I can hear no dialog track from the movie, and the Sonos App shows Stereo 2.0 as played content.

Turning off eARC or changing from passthrough to Auto or PCM makes 5.1 content hearable, but only at Stereo 2.0 and not 5.1

This is only affected by content from Apple TV. Native TV apps are playing correct sound formats via Arc

Any help would be most appreciated.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @Danindub, thanks for reaching out with the Sonos Community! 

Just to let you about your concern that if it’s only not working with Apple TV, maybe it’s something to do with its settings. You may need to double-check it or check it with Apple as well. 

Please let us know if there’s anything else we can help you with. We and the community are always here.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hi @Danindub, thanks for reaching out with the Sonos Community! 

Just to let you about your concern that if it’s only not working with Apple TV, maybe it’s something to do with its settings. You may need to double-check it or check it with Apple as well. 

Please let us know if there’s anything else we can help you with. We and the community are always here.

Thanks for getting back to me, after some further research it appears that it’s the issue with apple outputting LPCM audio, LG TV passing it through to Sonos Arc, and that one doesn’t support the LPCM :( I know you guys are planning on this support, maybe you could kindly check and give us an indication on when can we expect it? I know many people on this forum are awaiting it.

Thank you!

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @Danindub, thanks for keeping us posted here. Yes, we plan to support Uncompressed McLPCM in a future software update. We don’t have exact timing to share at this point and will update this thread when we do.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Hi @Danindub, thanks for keeping us posted here. Yes, we plan to support Uncompressed McLPCM in a future software update. We don’t have exact timing to share at this point and will update this thread when we do.

Is this included in the 12.1 update?

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @svomak, thanks for reaching out with the Sonos Community! Let me share this article contains the release notes for recent Sonos S2 software releases and to answer your question, LPCM is not yet included. We’ll notify you all here. 

Just let us know if you need anything. We and the community are always here to help.

Hi @Krishma M I have been following this topic closely, on this thread and others, and I have been reluctant to make the Arc purchase based on its unreliability with the ATV. 

Any updates on this front?