Answered

It's 2016! Make PlayBar Gen 2 for DTS / Fix Aux for Play 5 GEN 2

• 7 February 2016
  • 56 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge
I know, it's another DTS thread. Sonos, I have used your products over many years. I am very impressed and right now, you are the Apple of Speakers when it comes to terms of quality and sound. I own 4 x P1s, 2 x P3, Sub + 2 x Gen 2 Play 5's and the very ... very... sad Playbar.

I have read many forums over the years and I have seen the anguish between many customers. I have never really commented because my patience was long and lasting... assuming one day you would care about this one point... but you are selling a locked eco-system that has the capability to drive customers mad. As I stated, you are the Apple of Speakers... but I feel like at times, there is a Steve Jobs at your company that is saying "no" to the bigger iPhone and watching customers endure the madness. What I am getting at is that it's 2016 and there are two things that are driving me mad (it's been a slow build up).

1. The new play 5's... the GEN 2s... some genius decided that the AUX ports are disabled when paired as a 5x1 theater system. For the first time, I was like... hey... I can use apple airplay (airport express) with my SONOS. Nope, I have two expensive speakers that when I use them as a theater system, the AUX ports do not work. So I sent an email and you thought it was a good idea... just a good idea... something that should have been standard from release. It's actually a main reason why I bought them and pushed over the play 3's. I can have upgraded speakers and use the AUX port when needed. When I disconnect them from the theater system, the AUX port shows back up... how convenient.

2. The DTS issue. I understand that over time, this may have not seemed like a big deal. You have to understand everything is moving to 1080p - 2160p and 4k. Audio is moving towards that direction also. I have implemented solutions where the audio splits so I can get 5.1 with the soundbar... but there needs to be some announcement in regards to a solution (and I respect the current play bar cannot handle it). Maybe the solution is a GEN2 speaker. Me personally, I would pay $999+ if you have a new sound bar that could accept hi-def connections... just as you created the GEN2 Play 5's.

Anyways, I can no longer defend SONOS. I am getting mad. If you know your going to create a locked eco-system and have consumers invest in an expensive theater system... you should listen to this one part. You see endless threads on it. Your right... I can just walk away, but you had me invest into an eco-system and you sold something that was only partially true. I know your response team reads this and there is a complicated process to make products. This is why Samsung and other companies can never match you... but a company that offers consumers a high-def system for twice the price.. I would be willing to toss every speaker on eBay and switch. My friends laugh at the SONOS system that pushes only... STEREO... unless there is a work around.

As of now, there is no worry because no one can match your quality... yet. Please create a GEN2 play bar... I bet people will pay even more... but in the end... your products are always worth it and that's why I would purchase it. Fix the DTS weakness (and please fire the engineers or quality control team who thought the AUX ports being disabled for the new GEN2's when used as a theater system - joking... but it's like selling a TESLA that requires a manual crank to start the car).

I mean well and write this because I care about the organization and I'm not here to randomly complain. Do something... than state what we already know.
icon

Best answer by tiago 15 February 2016, 00:24

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

56 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Well I guess every passionate SONOS user will agree with your demands! I was very frustrated to find out that the AUX is disabled when PLAY:5 Gen 2 is added as surround, I’ve made a thread here and got some explanation (https://en.community.sonos.com/home-theater-228993/it-possible-to-use-the-line-on-a-home-theater-setup-6735262). What I managed to do is that I had another PLAY:5 Gen 2 on other room I used its AUX port and I can select in what room I want to play the AUX port, it woked for me this way, but you need an extra speaker 😕.

About DTS is the only thing that keeps me from being 100% happy with my SONOS system. I have a lot of DTS content and my tv passes through DTS, thank god that it also converts to PCM so I don’t get “no sound”, but its stereo 😕.

I tend to believe that SONOS is working on a new playbar with DTS support, if not they would be left behind by competition. It would be also a good idea to make a new connect, or something, so we could use for example 3xSONOS PLAY:5s as Center, Right, Left and 2xSONOS Play:1s as Surround speakers or any other combination.

Well, we can just hope that we invested our money on the correct system and that they will handle DTS with time. A statement that SONOS is working on it would be nice, but as I’ve read before they do not comment on future products or features.

Thanks for your post!

+1 for your requests!
Userlevel 1
you are the Apple of Speakers when it comes to terms of quality and sound.
But isn't trying to lock everything down part of Apple's business model too? : )

The DTS issue. I understand that over time, this may have not seemed like a big deal. You have to understand everything is moving to 1080p - 2160p and 4k. Audio is moving towards that direction also.

I'm guessing this is mostly about licen$ing fees or the cost for Sonos to put this into the software. Whatever Sonos uses to assemble its sound also might not mesh very well with DTS. There could also be reluctance by DTS to engage in the wireless audio biz since it would be a different way of delivering content for them. They might also be concerned about content security. Just speculating on all of these things, of course.

I personally would love to see Sonos deliver DTS content, but gave up on it a while ago when the cheaper options just became to darn easy. I still hold out hope though. I've got lots of speaker cables I'd love to get rid of.
The Apple of speakers? I hope not! The iPod HiFi speaker was a disaster for Apple.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPod_Hi-Fi
Userlevel 3
Badge
All, you are correct. What I meant by "the apple of speakers" is the level of quality and detail. Ironically, Apple's HiFi and Airplay is not great (I tried it all before going to Sonos)

I can agree with the DTS portion about the licensing fees. If they could allow HDMI to pass through the speaker or have something that makes 5.1 easier to work with, that would be great. I would love to see some announcement in regards to the soundbar. They were smart by saying something about the new play 5's and I waited the entire time for them to come out and got them. I think it would prevent driving crazy if they made some kind of dabble announcement in regards to a new playbar. Ironically, I would still buy it even though I have one. the other soundbar would be mounted in my bedroom with some other extra speakers that I have.

In regards to Tiago, yes I was very annoyed when it did not state that anywhere. I thought I was losing my mind when I tried the AUX. When I disconnected them from the 5.1 setup, the AUX showed up. I was like WTF lol. I know this could be a simple fix and hopefully they care about the feedback. To tell me to buy a 3rd speaker would drive me insane. I'm glad I got 2 of them each for 449 tax free.
Userlevel 1
Hope Sonos reads this: I'm not buying a playbar until it has DTS. Why would I buy an obsolete playbar for my OLED TV? Release the playbar 2, and I'm stocking my house with your products with the playbar as the first item.

I also registered a forum account just to communicate this.
Userlevel 3
Badge
Sadly, they would make a ton more money. I would buy 2 right now if I could. @Bysshe
As said in another thread: I'm really disappointed that my playbar plays crappy sound for my dts media. I can't believe that a premium brand where things just work does not have DTS support 😞
Userlevel 3
Badge
It's really the only thing I know that holds other Sonos users back. I have a few friends willing to invest into the entire echo system and they love the music. The lack of DTS is what's not winning them over @cson. If by Jan 2017 nothing is released, i'll dump my entire system on eBay. Other automated products are slowly working their way into the market. I was looking at a DTS thread that was over 3 years old earlier and has over 1200 responses...
Userlevel 3
Badge
The Apple of speakers? I hope not! The iPod HiFi speaker was a disaster for Apple.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPod_Hi-Fi

Yep, that's why they are the Apple.... meaning they are getting it right and Apple is not the one implementing the tech. I remember my speakers would always drop out.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Agreed with the OP.

Sonos needs to start updating their flawed product lineup. They burst through the gates with the current series, despite massive flaws, but now they need to smarten up and get with the user demands if they hope to stay current.

The SOUNDBAR needs to be revamped entirely. HDMI inputs are a MUST. DTS is a MUST. Pairing with other speakers and connect components is a must. Aux and SUB ports need to work in every config. etc etc.

There will be a SOUNDBAR, SUB, and a mountain of speakers on ebay soon enough if they don't start getting with it in the coming months.

Sonos, your system is nice, but you're dropping the ball quickly.
Never mind.
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
I know Sonos is very hush hush about new products but do you guys think they are working on a playbar gen 2?
No, I don't.
Agreed with the OP.

Sonos needs to start updating their flawed product lineup. They burst through the gates with the current series, despite massive flaws, but now they need to smarten up and get with the user demands if they hope to stay current.

The SOUNDBAR needs to be revamped entirely. HDMI inputs are a MUST. DTS is a MUST. Pairing with other speakers and connect components is a must. Aux and SUB ports need to work in every config. etc etc.

There will be a SOUNDBAR, SUB, and a mountain of speakers on ebay soon enough if they don't start getting with it in the coming months.

Sonos, your system is nice, but you're dropping the ball quickly.

How many times has this been posted over the past 10 years, lol. Same old nonsense by the clueless.
Userlevel 1
Clueless?

Have to say I'm in exactly the same boat as voxframe. I'm looking to purchase a 5.1 system for my media player and lack of DTS and HDMI means that I'm going to have to go with a competitor if I don't see something comparable from Sonos within the next month or so.

Based on my research so far, they've been leapfrogged by one or two competitors and so far their only response has been to sue them. I'd rather see them come out with a better product! 😕
Userlevel 3
Badge
Clueless?

Have to say I'm in exactly the same boat as voxframe. I'm looking to purchase a 5.1 system for my media player and lack of DTS and HDMI means that I'm going to have to go with a competitor if I don't see something comparable from Sonos within the next month or so.

Based on my research so far, they've been leapfrogged by one or two competitors and so far their only response has been to sue them. I'd rather see them come out with a better product! :-/

The only thing holding me back still is how it works still. I guarantee they would sell more. Many of friends want to go on the sonos train, but the lack of modern ports is a problem for them.
Userlevel 5
Badge +8
I would love to get rid of all my bulky AV system and replace it with Sonos components but I won't while it still has the major drawbacks that it does.
I will buy the GEN2 playbar the day it is released....very sad that it is taking so long....
I will buy the GEN2 playbar the day it is released....very sad that it is taking so long....

Given there's never been any indication Sonos are even working on a new Playbar I wouldn't bother waiting, buy a different soundbar that meets your requirements.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Given there's never been any indication Sonos are even working on a new Playbar I wouldn't bother waiting, buy a different soundbar that meets your requirements.

Fully agree. If you are wanting surround sound for your TV and film viewing and don't believe the Playbar is for you (No DTS support, only 1 optical in, No Dolby Digital +, No 7.1 or 9.1 support......) then you would be sensible to tread a different path much as it pains me to suggest.

But it is positive that your research has lead you here and you are able to make an informed choice before your purchase. You'd be crazy to wait for Sonos to introduce a Gen 2 Playbar - Even if they did then it probably wouldn't do all the things you want.

Good luck with your choice of surround system. It certainly makes a big difference to your audio enjoyment.
I need one sound bar as well but holding for gem 2 since last year. feel really sorry for myself for how long I had waited. In india they say If you wait the end is very sweet.But in soundbar case I dont think it is going to be.
Sonos have never given any indication that there will ever be a gen2 Playbar
While everybody is going on about connectivity , do you not agree the looks need freshening up , i dont like the look or feel , the material is a right dust collector as opposed to perferated steel grill like whats on all its other speakers , if i have to wait 10 years then so be it , TV technology and size has come on leaps and bounds in the last couple of years . Sonos needs to listen to its customers needs ,
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I actually like the looks of the Playbar.

I don't know sales wise if it justifies them investing in another. Personally I would like to see them create a SUPER CONNECT box that actually will allow 7.1 audio directing to 7 different regular Sonos Plays.

Can you imagine the implications for - especially for those with Projectors where they have difficulty hooking to 5.1 sources wirelessly.

I think the Playbar days are numbered at some point.
It has had its day , and i bet there are many hundreds world wide will not buy one while speculation continues , my lad has one ill go without for now